Sign in to follow this  
kentucker4

Hello everyone....question

First off.....greetings everyone...i am a 30-year-old from the US living in Taiwan. I have meditated to hypnosis and binaural beats for about 5 years now nightly to help fall asleep or just to meditate.

I recently took up kungfu under an instructor who has studied for over 18 years here under his master who has studied for over 40 years. Part of the kungfu is daily qigong practice.

I have some questions about qigong sensations after practice..i just started the qigong practice last week. Sometimes after practice i feel great but this past Saturday I practiced for about 45 minutes or so and felt like i was a little high in a bad way all day long...like my mind was thinking wayyy too much about everything like an obsessive circle and things looked a little depersonalized...like everything felt uncomfortable and things looked a little distorted.

These feelings acre me as I recently quit a prescription medication knows as a benzo...a very powerful drug that messes up brain and gaba receptors up...the things in your brain that make you feel good....i quit this drug after daily usage for a year just 4 months ago and still feel weak from it...like i get panicky feeling and that horrible paranouid feeling like after you smoked too much weed or somehting and even recently i had this feeling like everyhting was breaking...my mind...felt like i was going crazy this was from a bad a reaction to a medication a doctor hear recently gave me....i take no meds on a regular basis here...just tried it for sleep one night.

Anyways...my goal with kungfu and qigong is to simply feel normal and mentally healthy once again....is qigong safe for me to practice in my current situation or should i wait until my body and brain recover more from the meds that i were on....many thanks for your insight......also i practice the horse stance everyday just once a day which is supposed to cultivate chi as well and can feel it pulling me down sometimes and my sleep has improved greatly from it......but i also have strange sensations after doing it from time to time.

First off.....greetings everyone...i am a 30-year-old from the US living in Taiwan. I have meditated to hypnosis and binaural beats for about 5 years now nightly to help fall asleep or just to meditate.

I recently took up kungfu under an instructor who has studied for over 18 years here under his master who has studied for over 40 years. Part of the kungfu is daily qigong practice.

I have some questions about qigong sensations after practice..i just started the qigong practice last week. Sometimes after practice i feel great but this past Saturday I practiced for about 45 minutes or so and felt like i was a little high in a bad way all day long...like my mind was thinking wayyy too much about everything like an obsessive circle and things looked a little depersonalized...like everything felt uncomfortable and things looked a little distorted.

These feelings acre me as I recently quit a prescription medication knows as a benzo...a very powerful drug that messes up brain and gaba receptors up...the things in your brain that make you feel good....i quit this drug after daily usage for a year just 4 months ago and still feel weak from it...like i get panicky feeling and that horrible paranouid feeling like after you smoked too much weed or somehting and even recently i had this feeling like everyhting was breaking...my mind...felt like i was going crazy this was from a bad a reaction to a medication a doctor hear recently gave me....i take no meds on a regular basis here...just tried it for sleep one night.

Anyways...my goal with kungfu and qigong is to simply feel normal and mentally healthy once again....is qigong safe for me to practice in my current situation or should i wait until my body and brain recover more from the meds that i were on....many thanks for your insight......also i practice the horse stance everyday just once a day which is supposed to cultivate chi as well and can feel it pulling me down sometimes and my sleep has improved greatly from it......but i also have strange sensations after doing it from time to time.

Welcome - you may want to repost your question in the General Discussion area to get more attention but I'll address a few things.

Practicing qigong and meditation will increase your sensitivity and make you a bit more susceptible to the awareness of disturbances in your mind and body. This heightened sensitivity and awareness may partly explain what you are feeling. Also, a new physical and energetic practice will certainly cause things to feel different internally.

When you say "benzo-", I'm guessing you are referring to Benzodiazepines - there are several on the market. The one thing these drugs have in common is that they are dangerous to suddenly withdraw from after chronic use. You can be susceptible to seizures, among less serious side-effects. The withdrawal from these drugs is very slow and can take several months because the drugs have long half-lives. It is always best discontinuing this class of drug slowly and under supervision. If the racing thoughts or other mental disturbances continue or worsen, I'd highly recommend getting the advice of a physician to help you safely withdraw.

Welcome - you may want to repost your question in the General Discussion area to get more attention but I'll address a few things.

Practicing qigong and meditation will increase your sensitivity and make you a bit more susceptible to the awareness of disturbances in your mind and body. This heightened sensitivity and awareness may partly explain what you are feeling. Also, a new physical and energetic practice will certainly cause things to feel different internally.

When you say "benzo-", I'm guessing you are referring to Benzodiazepines - there are several on the market. The one thing these drugs have in common is that they are dangerous to suddenly withdraw from after chronic use. You can be susceptible to seizures, among less serious side-effects. The withdrawal from these drugs is very slow and can take several months because the drugs have long half-lives. It is always best discontinuing this class of drug slowly and under supervision. If the racing thoughts or other mental disturbances continue or worsen, I'd highly recommend getting the advice of a physician to help you safely withdraw.

Thanks.....I will repost in the general section....and yeah...i withdrew pretty slowly cutting back amounts each week of the drug Ativan.....but it just messes with your brain chemistry big time and takes a while to go back to normal.

Sign in to follow this