I think it has gone too far

@_@

I'm in a state of shock.

This is like monopoly, but involving lavatories, right?

Yes in the middle ages... with dragons ... and nudity.

I seriously wouldn't care if the entire show was axed tomorrow... just mindless.

What type of person writes such?

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

Just seen episode 9 season 3 .... bloody hell!

Wonderful. I respect movies that challenge the audience. Enjoyable to see scripts that don't conform to the all too well trampled paths.

M

I haven't seen the tv series but I've read the books.

At one point, I remember getting up and stomping into the kitchen holding the book up to my wife.

"This guy is a freaking serial killer. I swear he makes amazing characters, just to kill em off." lol

But I love the fact that no one is safe. He himself says he's surprised at how his stories unfold at times.

He likens writing his books to taking a cross country trip. He knows he's going to get to certain points, say on his drive from NYC to LA, but certain things will pop up along the way that he never anticipated, likened by him to those 'flat tire' moments on a long trip.

Good analogy, great stories.

• Like 1

From what I've heard, the show actually tones DOWN some of the violence :D

I like a story where characters are not protected by "plot armor."

It's more real, because in real life, no one is safe. You never know when someone is going to get in an accident and die, or get killed by someone who hates you (for the right reasons or no).

What I also like is that many of the "bad" characters are given a look at their own story. Why they fight the way they do. From what I can tell, this is expanded more in the books. But still, the most recent episode was awesome. Intense and memorable.

without spoiling anything at all, can someone tell me what this show basically is?

High fantasy, set in medieval times.

Mostly an exploration of political and strategic positioning and posturing interspersed with all out warfare among the ruling houses of the land to play the Game of Thrones, with a smattering of Undead, Dragons, Magic, Sex, more Sex and Violence. In the books at least, food is one of his main characters. He spends a serious amount of time describing the process of acquiring, preparing and consuming food.

Really an engaging author. He sets up a believable convention for his world and sticks to it, which always helps me suspend disbelief and have more fun in the read. I'd recommend it if you're into medieval fantasy and have time to kill. No idea if the tv series has the HBO scent about it (it has a soap opera bent to it which I could see them exploit ala Tudors).

• Like 1

I fucking love this show

And who are you, the proud lord said,
that I must bow so low?
Only a cat of a different coat,
that's all the truth I know.
In a coat of gold or a coat of red,
a lion still has claws,
And mine are long and sharp, my lord,
as long and sharp as yours.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke,
that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall,
with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey9vSYxuAJk

• Like 1

The shows addictive. Great writing, unexpected twists and turns, high production values and only a few episodes a season..makes me feel like an addict needing a fix. It's a shame HBO won't let you go back and watch the first season, only 2 and 3 are available.

The casting is amazing, most characters exactly as I pictured them. Always pictured Tyrion a little uglier, but Dinklage does such a great job I can't hold his lack of ugliness against him. And I'm actually enjoying the show's divergence from the books -- means I'll be able to read the last couple (whenever they arrive) without knowing exactly what's going to happen.

Possible spoilers for the new season alert..

I love the fact that no one is safe.  He himself says he's surprised at how his stories unfold at times.

He likens writing his books to taking a cross country trip.  He knows he's going to get to certain points, say on his drive from NYC to LA, but certain things will pop up along the way that he never anticipated, likened by him to those 'flat tire' moments on a long trip.

No one was safe at the beginning, but I think that the longer it draws on, the more certain characters become central. If he knows what certain 'destinations' are going to be, he surely knows which characters are going to be there. They won't always be the ones we expected, but so far, the ones with the most character to offer the story are still around.

I mean, the characters who I have enjoyed the most since the beginning -- Tyrion, Arya, Dany, Jon etc -- all seem central to the plot right now. Yeah, they might all die.. but I think most of them will last for the better part of it. After what happened in the latest episode, I expect the Starks to be stirring up some havoc... ^_^

If anything, the unexpected now isn't dying, its coming back from the dead :).

• Like 1

Spoiler alert.

I thought this was ironic.  George Martin complimented the writers of the show on how they fleshed out Osha, the wildling protector of the Stark boys.  I believe in an interview he said he'd give her a bigger part in his coming books because he liked the actress and the potential she brought.  Then for no particularly good reason she gets the dagger this week :(, and no Lord of Light priest or priestess around to bring her back .

Rest well, wise wilding
osha2.jpg
Edited by thelerner

Yeah, that kind of sucked. But I wasn't stuck on her. I guess they needed a violent and somewhat shocking death for the episode...

The last scene was amazing. I think I clapped my hands together in glee!

I bend the knee for no man, but I would kneel before Daenerys Targaryen.

Yeah, that kind of sucked. But I wasn't stuck on her. I guess they needed a violent and somewhat shocking death for the episode...

The last scene was amazing. I think I clapped my hands together in glee!

I bend the knee for no man, but I would kneel before Daenerys Targaryen.

Feel the burn.

• Like 1

Interesting.  Course George Martin already deviated from that outline quite a bit, and the show has already deviated from the books. 

I think next season is the last ?  Possible titles-  Revenge of Starks.  The Starks Strike Back, Return of the Targaryen,  Throne Wars- Winter Finally Comes, Attack of the Thrones,  Just a matter of murdering off lose ends, really. 

there's 2 more seasons, with 7 or less episodes per series. they might increase it a little but we'll see, it definitely won't be 10 a piece.

• Like 1