eccentric215

Energy cultivation

Hi all. How common would it be in taoism to wake with the sun and go to bed when the sun goes down as a form of energy cultivation. I'm sure living in tune with nature would be the ultimate goal. Does anyone on here practice this???? Please share what you know. Thanks all in advance........

• Like 1

How many hours would that be? Here where I live it would mean 10 hours of sleep, this time of the year (autumn). Too long.

Well spring time here you could get 8 hours of sleep. In the winter I could get roughly 11. Summer time would be a lot harder because the days are so long.

I was doing this for a while and I was enjoying it. I would get a lot done being up so early. I would have all my chores done as the sun was just peaking over the horizon. But recently I got sick and I've been trying to rest much.

There was a guy I met in Chicago who lived in an apartment building and had his electricity cut off so he could live more in tuned with nature. Candles if he needed it, the apartment was hot in the summer, cold in the winter, though not too bad because everyone else had heating. He seemed to have a pretty advanced practice. Very cool dude, a true urban taoist.

There was a guy I met in Chicago who lived in an apartment building and had his electricity cut off so he could live more in tuned with nature. Candles if he needed it, the apartment was hot in the summer, cold in the winter, though not too bad because everyone else had heating. He seemed to have a pretty advanced practice. Very cool dude, a true urban taoist.

Somehow to me this is not being one with the Tao.

Being present in the time you are living and where you are living.

There is no point in putting obstacles in your way.

Humble One recently lent me a DVD "Amongst White Clouds"

It's a journey to various Buddhist/ Taoist monks in living in the mountains.

Some in small groups - some alone. They were serious practitioners.

What i noticed was there was electric light bulbs, fire for cooking and as the weather was not

that cold there was no sign of fire for heat but I'll bet they used fire to keep warm in winter.

What did the guy you met do for food - grow his own and eat it raw or do take out :)

Hi all. How common would it be in taoism to wake with the sun and go to bed when the sun goes down as a form of energy cultivation. I'm sure living in tune with nature would be the ultimate goal. Does anyone on here practice this???? Please share what you know. Thanks all in advance........

This isn't very Buddhist but it is certainly Taoist to tune yourself in with nature, I recommend reading the first few chapters of "The Yellow Emperors Classic Of Internal Medicine" which explains the benefits of tuning yourself in with the rhythms of nature and the seasons, apparently the Ancients were so well harmonised that they had a huge range of benefits such as health, longevity, balance, understanding.

Liu I Ming's interpretation of the I-Ching has a lot about this also to do with when to cultivate energy and rest according to the time of the day. Most Buddhists seem less worried about this sort of thing though, I even know some Buddhists do retreats in complete darkness for three years so some try to escape all the natural rhythms completely.

Thanks all for the answers. Ha ha urban Taoist that's funny I like that phrase. I don't know why I posted this under Buddhist discussion. I should have posted it in general discussion. Anyways thanks all feel free to post more.

Thanks all for the answers. Ha ha urban Taoist that's funny I like that phrase. I don't know why I posted this under Buddhist discussion. I should have posted it in general discussion. Anyways thanks all feel free to post more.

HEHE Cultivation, generally, should lead one to leave all form of relativity. To be freed from the grasp of the relative world. Therefore, even the changing of the seasons, and the rising and setting of the sun is relative.

Daoists, in one manner of cultivation, will follow and keep in line with the changing of seasons, as well as the weather and rising/setting of the sun. This cultivation is likened to a provisional-lifestyle cultivation; bringing health benefits galore.

Also, another manner in Daoist cultivation is to wake up 5:30am and meditate with the rising sun. 11:30-12:30 meditate with the high Yang period of Sun rise. 5:30-6:30pm with the setting sun's energy and also 11:30pm-12:30am for the high Yin period after the sun's setting is completed.

I met Daoists who only wear a robe, one pair of socks and their hat in the dead, brick cold winter, as well as Daoists wearing heavy, dark robes, socks and their hat in the heat of mid-summer.

It doesn't matter which path you follow in this matter; it only matters what your cultivation has helped you to realize. Regardless of the "natural changes" of Nature, though a part of nature, we are not held in control by nature. Only because Nature's ...nature, is simply a relative response to the causes of its own "becoming". Meaning it is the way it is due to the momentum of the causes and conditions of its existence.

Our mind makes something cold, or hot, burning, or soothing, etc.

Budddhists do care about the nature of ...Nature. Yet, Buddhist's focus is to not be controlled by these relative cycles.

Daoists do this as well. Just only after they have "achieved" that kind of level of cultivation.

• Like 1

It doesn't matter which path you follow in this matter; it only matters what your cultivation has helped you to realize. Regardless of the "natural changes" of Nature, though a part of nature, we are not held in control by nature. Only because Nature's ...nature, is simply a relative response to the causes of its own "becoming". Meaning it is the way it is due to the momentum of the causes and conditions of its existence.

Our mind makes something cold, or hot, burning, or soothing, etc.

Is there a line that separates one from this "nature"? I believe most spiritual wisdoms will say no, that there is no distinction.

As a long time practitioner, what is your view and experience regarding the self and its boundaries with the supposed external world?

Is there a line that separates one from this "nature"? I believe most spiritual wisdoms will say no, that there is no distinction.

As a long time practitioner, what is your view and experience regarding the self and its boundaries with the supposed external world?

Good question by the way.. really good question.

Not a line that separates, but more of a view in one's mind. Our world system, or just to say our Earth, is friggin' amazing. Our mind and everything in this planet vibe with each other. So the ebbs and flows of Nature's "expressions" are influenced by our own mind and vice verse. BUT indeed there is the manner in which Nature will just do, because it is its own being.

Being in "accordance/going with the flow" with the nature of our being, and the nature of this world, (universe is too big/small to bring up right now ...haha) really is based in selflessness, interdependence. Once I can stop thinking "me, me, me" everything, literally, that is needed will come . Unfortunately, things manifest on their own time.. hahaha so the wait can be a pain in the butt...that's when patience comes in.

You said it quite right, "the supposed external world".

My experience is many, but briefly put, when I finally saw through a lot of the views, and subtle masks that were playing out in my life, all that was left was this state of knowing that even the slightest particle, molecule, ion flows in me when I inhale, flows out on exhalation. If that isn't in accord with the nature of things, I wouldn't know what else to do at this point. lol

Each "body" has its own nature according to their mind/heart. Over all the Big Nature of this planet has a great force and influence on everything. How are mind is, depends on our interrelation to the Big Nature. Because its not separate from us at all.

Lots of talk. Don't believe me though. Its better to really realize it. I don't want to bastardize the experience for anyone... lol

*** also, I'm not an authority on anything. Any experience is really one's "own" to have. It will be different for everyone, but the underlying similarity, is that there is an "interdependence" and that there is a "0" a 1 and a 0...but its there only because we have factors in the mind that can view it. Once there is not that screen up over our eyes, usually the "what can not be spoken about" is "experienced".

Edited by 林愛偉

Good question by the way.. really good question.

Not a line that separates, but more of a view in one's mind. Our world system, or just to say our Earth, is friggin' amazing. Our mind and everything in this planet vibe with each other. So the ebbs and flows of Nature's "expressions" are influenced by our own mind and vice verse. BUT indeed there is the manner in which Nature will just do, because it is its own being.

Being in "accordance/going with the flow" with the nature of our being, and the nature of this world, (universe is too big/small to bring up right now ...haha) really is based in selflessness, interdependence. Once I can stop thinking "me, me, me" everything, literally, that is needed will come . Unfortunately, things manifest on their own time.. hahaha so the wait can be a pain in the butt...that's when patience comes in.

But if one has dropped the thoughts and habits of a self, what is "needed" to come?

Also if the Big Nature is indeed not separate from us at all what does it mean to be "being in accordance/going with the flow" when everything is already inseparable?

But if one has dropped the thoughts and habits of a self, what is "needed" to come?

Also if the Big Nature is indeed not separate from us at all what does it mean to be "being in accordance/going with the flow" when everything is already inseparable?

What is "needed" to come is anything one thinks (wishes for. and not meaning the "I wish for a new bike" cute wishes.) lol

Everything is already inseparable, yet our mind is so full of "things" that those things get in the way, and redirect, or totally cut off any type of "real" experience.

Everything has its own nature, Earth as well. Humans have their own nature; some have an exciting nature, while others a calm, etc. Being in accord comes after realizing what the nature of Earth is, and how it interrelates to you. Then, when we learn what the nature of Earth is, and learn our own nature, we can properly choose to "go with the flow" of how the Earth changes, and living in accord with that.

When we talk about the big flow (destiny), now its a whole other subject, but involves taking one's own nature, changing it through cultivation, intense, annoying, frustrating cultivation....lol And finally seeing the bigger picture.

I met people who believe the world is exactly what they think, and there is no room for anything else but their own assumption(they say fact) of what they think. When something happens that is not in their equation, they become angry, greedy and do stupid things to make themselves look good. They believe the world is just like them, and when its not, they freak out. They think they are in tune with the nature of things and call their ways, just the ways of human nature. its merely conditioning, not nature.

Once we see our own nature, then we can break through the veil our mind has made that created the movie we thought was our real nature. THen the big flow, well we can stay on it, and follow destiny, even is we don't have a clue what it is, or we change it. SOme things can't change, and those things are totally set, most likely something you had wanted a long long time ago.

The flow of the heavens is another thing. In accord with the heavens, we must be sure which one of the heavens we accord with; then we can work on staying in that flow, or vibration in order to enter that heaven. Once in the heaven of your according with, you m ay either get lazy and just enjoy it, or further cultivation. because, really that's what we are here for. A perfect opportunity to try and wake up and get things moving, or continue to get things moving.. lol

This isn't our last stop, and there is a lot more to do after this.

(sorry, hehe its morning for me and I'm writing a lot...) Mind is fresh in the morning .lol

What is "needed" to come is anything one thinks (wishes for. and not meaning the "I wish for a new bike" cute wishes.) lol

Everything is already inseparable, yet our mind is so full of "things" that those things get in the way, and redirect, or totally cut off any type of "real" experience.

Everything has its own nature, Earth as well. Humans have their own nature; some have an exciting nature, while others a calm, etc. Being in accord comes after realizing what the nature of Earth is, and how it interrelates to you. Then, when we learn what the nature of Earth is, and learn our own nature, we can properly choose to "go with the flow" of how the Earth changes, and living in accord with that.

When we talk about the big flow (destiny), now its a whole other subject, but involves taking one's own nature, changing it through cultivation, intense, annoying, frustrating cultivation....lol And finally seeing the bigger picture.

I met people who believe the world is exactly what they think, and there is no room for anything else but their own assumption(they say fact) of what they think. When something happens that is not in their equation, they become angry, greedy and do stupid things to make themselves look good. They believe the world is just like them, and when its not, they freak out. They think they are in tune with the nature of things and call their ways, just the ways of human nature. its merely conditioning, not nature.

Once we see our own nature, then we can break through the veil our mind has made that created the movie we thought was our real nature. THen the big flow, well we can stay on it, and follow destiny, even is we don't have a clue what it is, or we change it. SOme things can't change, and those things are totally set, most likely something you had wanted a long long time ago.

The flow of the heavens is another thing. In accord with the heavens, we must be sure which one of the heavens we accord with; then we can work on staying in that flow, or vibration in order to enter that heaven. Once in the heaven of your according with, you m ay either get lazy and just enjoy it, or further cultivation. because, really that's what we are here for. A perfect opportunity to try and wake up and get things moving, or continue to get things moving.. lol

This isn't our last stop, and there is a lot more to do after this.

(sorry, hehe its morning for me and I'm writing a lot...) Mind is fresh in the morning .lol

Cool. A reply just enough to insinuate but not reveal. :) .

What really is this intense, annoying, frustrating cultivation? Is it, as you put it, to find out one's own "nature," one's own self appointed destiny? I put the part in bold where I find it fascinating that we have intentions that are set in stone in this lifetime, that it is that rigid...how do I gather enough insight to see the depths of my desires?

I find it curious the way you put it: "once in the heaven of your according with you may either get lazy and just enjoy it or further cultivation." So enjoying heaven is not cultivation, but moving beyond it is? Is cultivation like moving to a new house so you pack your bags and go out the front door to a new state?

What is the nature of something? Is it a vibrational state? It's habitual tendencies? If so is human nature and Earth's nature limited to their identities?

Haha! More questions! I like your abstract answers the show more than they tell.

Cool. A reply just enough to insinuate but not reveal. :) .

What really is this intense, annoying, frustrating cultivation? Is it, as you put it, to find out one's own "nature," one's own self appointed destiny? I put the part in bold where I find it fascinating that we have intentions that are set in stone in this lifetime, that it is that rigid...how do I gather enough insight to see the depths of my desires?

I find it curious the way you put it: "once in the heaven of your according with you may either get lazy and just enjoy it or further cultivation." So enjoying heaven is not cultivation, but moving beyond it is? Is cultivation like moving to a new house so you pack your bags and go out the front door to a new state?

What is the nature of something? Is it a vibrational state? It's habitual tendencies? If so is human nature and Earth's nature limited to their identities?

Your questions are awesome!

The intense, annoying and frustrating cultivation is referring to having to monotonously do the same practices till a result manifests...lol regardless if there is a perceivable outcome or not. Sticking with a practice geared to assist you in "revealing" your true nature requires constant and constant practice; like digging for water constantly until there is a little breakthrough, and then continuing till there is enough to pass around...then you go further to where there is total immersion.

At first, the depths of one's desires seem endless. In truth, they are. So instead of actually finding the deapths, or origins, we can safely say that they are originless, endless, and therefore without beginning. At that point in cultivation, the insight realized is since they are endless, without an end thus without a beginning, why am I entertaining them when they keep bringing me around and around (reminds me of the song "you spin me right round baby right round, like a record baby , round round round round..." hahaha

The vibrational state, habitual tendencies are not the nature, but the expression within the nature. nature is set by the causes. over a long period of time of acting on those causes, such things reap a strong momentum of outcomes, which can spin round for a very long time, and thus be seen as a "nature" of something/ someone. Indeed the "nature of conditions" is just the state in which they manifest. The "true nature of conditions" is that the conditions really never had a nature because they are without an origin. (I know, it makes the mind go... AHHHH... ) haha

Human nature and Earth nature, when in terms of conditional nature (based on "karma") yes, they are fixed and relative to their own causes and conditions. Earth is a living organism too, with its own "spirit and nature". Sometimes its pissed off, sometimes its happy and fuzzy. just like people.

The "true nature" of humans and Earth is without those conditional expressions of their causes and conditions (hehe) BUT, those myriad things all are said to "reside" in the original nature. (This is where a lot of contemplative meditation comes into play. The words spoken are really so the mind can go "HUH?" and "Ah!" and then sitting with the feeling of investigating the mind is fueled with the desire to break through the riddle of our own mind. Then something happens, and we just "get it")

I love these kinds of questions.. if the "answers" given make some type of sense...wonderful, if not its good too, and it means it just isn't the kind of "sense" that makes sense to you... lol You know what I mean. :lol: