jeffrito

Weight loss suggestions?

Hi there,

I've been practising standing/moving Qigong for about 40mins every morning followed by a meditation.

I'm a few stone overweight and as much as I'm enjoying the Qigong it's not helping me shed the excess.

Can anyone suggest a further practise that would contribute to weight loss?

I'm not adverse to running or yoga, I just want to pick something that's in balance with the Qigong and not putting unnecessary pressure on the organs/joints.

Lunchtimes are wide open for me right now. I could probably do an hours session of something so would be up for taking on something completely new. I quite fancy Tai Chi in fact.

But over to you, what else should I add to my routine?

Exercise is good, but most weight loss is from eating less and better. Substitute soup (bean soups good and filling, cream soups not so much), make big pots and have it throughout the week. Also good big salads, lots of veggies, easy on the dressing. Higher protein is good, eggs, lean meat or edamine. Fiber helps with hunger. Simple metamucil (i.e. psyllium seed), they even have fiber wafers that are sweet and have a good bunch of fiber, so they work well as a treat.

what else should I add to my routine?

An unbalanced body (pH balance) doesn't lose weight, but makes fat cells to cover its acidity,...otherwise you would die. Thus, to lose weight, you must alkalize to your diet. Eat alkaline food, drink alkalized liquids. Get some pH paper and check your pH often (every other day).

In addition,...add vitamin C & D to your diet,...Emergen-C packs with Vitamin C & d are perfect as an afternoon energy drink. Drink one once a day,...and observe your metabolism soar.

Stay hydrated,...the urine of a hydrated body is usually clear,...if you have deep yellow pee, you're probably not hydrated enough. Research has been suggesting that cronic light-dehydration may be a cause of numerous human illnesses,...including heart attacks and strokes.

A rule of thumb is, as your body is 3/4th water,...make your diet 3/4th water (that is, eat foods high in water and alkaline).

Simple metamucil (i.e. psyllium seed), they even have fiber wafers that are sweet and have a good bunch of fiber, so they work well as a treat.

Doing Arise-n-Shine can have you lose 15-30 lbs of Mucoid Plaque in your first 7 day cleanse.

http://www.ariseandshine.com/cleanse7.aspx

It was said that John Wayne had more than 40 lbs of Mucoid Plaque in his colon,...that's like carry around quadruplets.

Caution,...This mucoid plaque builds up from your first taste of breast milk,...and as it is cleaned off, it can expose emotions from earlier times. I would suggest that anyone doing a colon cleanse read the following book first:

http://www.ariseandshine.com/cleanseandpurifythyselfbook1.aspx

Have Fun!

Edited by Vmarco

Interesting stuff so far guys. Thanks for your contributions.

I actually eat pretty well. Vegetarian, rarely have dairy and don't rely too heavily on carbs.

Knowing that I've lost weight through running in the past, I feel that it really is a more rigorus exercise that I need here, but as I say I'd like to pick one that's in balance.

Any ideas - Tai Chi, Kick Boxing, Yoga etc?

I actually eat pretty well. Vegetarian, rarely have dairy and don't rely too heavily on carbs.

What do you think is causing you to be a few stone overweight?

I find weight loss issue quite complex. aren't there internal and psychological issues? I mean millions of people each year lose the excess weight, then gain it right back in few years.

I am six foot tall and about 11 pounds overweight. Qigong seems to be helping and Gerard got me hooked on pu-erh tea :) however I feel these is some internal thremostat that needs to be reset lower. despite my best luke warm efforts, no reduction in the past five years...

Interesting stuff so far guys. Thanks for your contributions.

Knowing that I've lost weight through running in the past, I feel that it really is a more rigorus exercise that I need here, but as I say I'd like to pick one that's in balance.

Any ideas - Tai Chi, Kick Boxing, Yoga etc?

Drink around 100floz of water daily. You will shed a good 10-15 lbs in a week. If you give up carbs and sugar during that time (even natural sugars) you will start burning fat. I dropped 45 lbs in 8 weeks. Lean protein or tofu, lots of green veggies and water. 6-8 small meals per day.,.dont binge at lunch or definitely not dinner. Et dinner erly, go to bed early and sleep 8-10 hrs.

Dont run...do run-walks...i am doing ~ 15-20 mi per week...3-5 mi per day...mstly walking.,.some bursts of running thrown into the mix.

Tai chi for 1 hr can burn upto 400 cals based on your weight...and how deep your stance is.l.but dont go overboard and do more than your natural ability.

Edited by dwai

Simple:

Eat as healthy as possible.

Exercise 30 minutes a day, either lifting or cardio.

Elimination of sugar and processed will have weight falling off you.

John

Since you are likely to get a lot of conflicting suggestions regarding nutrition and exercise, I wanted to second (or third, or whatever) the notion of reducing carbohydrates, and especially sugar.

If you really want to understand this issue, read Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes.

A couple of other points:

--A few people have mentioned lean proteins. Your proteins don't have to be lean (low-fat), because eating fat won't make you fat. I realize you are a vegetarian, though, so you are not going to be eating meat anyway unless you decide to change your stripes.

--Exercise. There are studies showing that exercise doesn't always help people lose weight. Why? Because exercise increases your appetite. That's why exercise alone might not be the best answer to your question; you need to change your diet, too, if you want to see results.

• Like 1

If your really desperate to try something that will work, look into HCG. You can combine it with using metamucil to really boost a detox effect.

Search on "hcg and hypothalamus reset".

look into HCG. You can combine it with using metamucil to really boost a detox effect.

Search on "hcg and hypothalamus reset".

thanks dawei. hypothalamus reset sounds interesting. One of the biggest issues with diets is the body's natural response to go into a protective mode, starvation response and start to eat away muscle and actually lower the metabolic rate.

when I google hypothalamus and Qigong, some interesting stuff shows up. i wonder if there is a way to reset the hypothalamus via qigong.

reading up on hcg however, it appears now to be banned by the FDA and the original 1950's research disputed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_chorionic_gonadotropin

thanks dawei. hypothalamus reset sounds interesting. One of the biggest issues with diets is the body's natural response to go into a protective mode, starvation response and start to eat away muscle and actually lower the metabolic rate.

when I google hypothalamus and Qigong, some interesting stuff shows up. i wonder if there is a way to reset the hypothalamus via qigong.

reading up on hcg however, it appears now to be banned by the FDA and the original 1950's research disputed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_chorionic_gonadotropin

That athletes are banned from its use does not mean anything. Except they should not use it. That has nothing to do with you using it.

As I said... if you truly research this, you will hear 100,000 personal experiences which nobody can dispute. It may be the best kept secret since it is too effective that many [in the medical field] don't want to admit to it's success.

But I do recommend that one is very careful in their research as you can pick a manufactured product more suited for women vs men. Some have added very interesting ingredients while others go the cheap way and only have HCG. I could tell a few stories from people I researched for and they are many variations. I tested many. Here is one story. While testing one, I got very dizzy the first few days and immediately stopped; then researched further it's ingredients. I found that one of the main ones was to lower blood pressure and it was lowering mine too far and causing dizziness. My wife tested it and found the same result. Since her aunt was extremely overweight and taking blood pressure medicine we asked her to try this for her weight and blood pressure. She lost 20 pounds in 10 days and stopped her blood pressure medicine after the first day since it was pushing her BP too far down.

Moral of the story: Research and know what you put into your body.

But the hypothalamus reset is not easy to effect another way. Your body has many 'locks' on the patterns you create over the years... This allows you to quickly and easily unlock some.

Edited by dawei

Hi there,

I've been practising standing/moving Qigong for about 40mins every morning followed by a meditation.

I'm a few stone overweight and as much as I'm enjoying the Qigong it's not helping me shed the excess.

Can anyone suggest a further practise that would contribute to weight loss?

I'm not adverse to running or yoga, I just want to pick something that's in balance with the Qigong and not putting unnecessary pressure on the organs/joints.

Lunchtimes are wide open for me right now. I could probably do an hours session of something so would be up for taking on something completely new. I quite fancy Tai Chi in fact.

But over to you, what else should I add to my routine?

I lost around 60 pounds in six months by eliminating unhealthy snack foods and soda period (not even diet soda, because it has hidden calories). I don't necessarily watch what I eat anymore, I just try to maintain healthy portions, which in the end I think is hardest thing to do, but most beneficial.

My rule of thumb when I was dieting was to cut back on calories til I started losing weight, then maintain that amount of food so long as I continued to, once I plateaued, I ate a little less again. At the end I got down to around 200 pounds from 268lbs, relatively pain free. I'm up to 209 now, but I tend to stay around 205, fluctuating up and down. (Oh I know that sounds like a lot of weight, but I'm actually 6'2" tall and have a large build.)

Aaron

Ok thanks guys.

Once again - I'm not actually looking for diet tips. I have a good diet.

It's exercise tips...

Anyway pretty much decided on Tai Chi unless anyone can persuade me otherwise.

Ok thanks guys.

It's exercise tips...

Taiji is an excellent choice, however, it is not really for weight loss.

• Like 1

Ok thanks guys.

It's exercise tips...

If you're overweight, then how can you have a good diet? A good diet means you're eating as much food as you need. Even if you're eating healthy foods, if you're eating too much, that can cause you to gain weight, so perhaps what you need to do is eat less. Before making any changes to your diet, I should add that you should talk to your doctor.

Anyways if you want to be able to continue to eat as much as you do now, then you will certainly have to do some form of aerobic exercise if you expect to lose weight. Tai Chi, Qi-Gong, and most energy style martial art practices aren't going to cut it, because the emphasis is on slow movements, rather than movements that cause you to burn calories. I used to do walking meditation, which might help you with your practice and your exercise. Just something to think about. In the end you should choose something you enjoy doing, if you can, so that you'll be more likely to stick with it in the long run.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

Do an hour a day shaking practice.

definitely one of the most overlooked, undervalued practices. totally compatible with qigong, and it makes a lot more sense than taking up Tai Chi for weight loss. you can get a good sweat going in just 10 or 15 minutes, and the practice is 100% adjustable to your physical ability, so the practice can be as intense or as gentle as you need it to be. as far as health benefits go, it does just about EVERYTHING, cleansing and energizing the entire body at a cellular level. and if you're a qigong practitioner already, this practice will substantially increase the overall energetic charge in your body.

you might want to try shifting between shaking and spontaneous free flow movement. it'll make the hour a lot easier, and yet just as effective.

it's as simple as this, yet surprisingly powerful:

santiago breaks it all down, but you can also just let yourself go and in time everything he covers will be done on its own, in its own way.

outdoors is nice, but so is indoors with a good playlist. there's really no way to get it wrong. just go with your body.

• Like 2