Sonica

Hi from Beijing

Hi everybody,

my name's Sonia, I'm Italian and I've been living in Beijing since August.

I have a Master's degree in Chinese Language and Culture and my degree thesis topic is about the translation of tales concerning the Immortal Lu Dongbin. I'm going on with my researches on Neidan and with the translations of the tales but since sometimes Chinese Language is too hard, I'm looking for somebody who can help and explain me the meaning of some terms. I would like also to meet anybody interested in this topic for talking and share our knowledge.

Thanks everybody and have a nice day or evening whenever you live :)

Sonia

• Like 1

Welcome! Good to be in Beijing, especially if you like Bagua zhang.

There is the 白云观, the most important Taoist temple of the 全真branch of taoism in Beijing. Their taoism is said to be the heritage of 吕洞宾. Some of them might know a little english and help you in your translations.

Nice, I haven't visited there yet myself.

So far my main Tao desitination here was Hua Shan, which is amazing.

I don't consider myself a high level practitiner at all but great to connect with someone interested in studying Tao.

Let's do lunch :lol:

Hi sonia =)

I have my bachelors in philosophy and I am studying my second year of chinese right now at renmin university.

Unfortunately I am not good enough to help translate those kinds of tales! (are they probably in ancient chinese, too? They have to be translated into contemporary mandarin with notes somewhere.....)

I am more of a contemporary philosopher than a religious daoist... see my metaphysic here:

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/23026-anybody-care-to-comment-on-my-metaphysic/page__gopid__329135&

but I am also still very much in love with the taoist philosophy. I am reading the dao de jing now, and practicing a sitting form of qigong.

If you'd like to hang out some time at wudaokou or something, if you like. Do you like to smoke hash..?

Warm welcome. Its great to see students in China onboard.

Be sure to check out our Chinese Language forum. I look forward to your thoughts.

Michael

Hi sonia =)

I have my bachelors in philosophy and I am studying my second year of chinese right now at renmin university.

Unfortunately I am not good enough to help translate those kinds of tales! (are they probably in ancient chinese, too? They have to be translated into contemporary mandarin with notes somewhere.....)

I am more of a contemporary philosopher than a religious daoist... see my metaphysic here:

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/23026-anybody-care-to-comment-on-my-metaphysic/page__gopid__329135&

but I am also still very much in love with the taoist philosophy. I am reading the dao de jing now, and practicing a sitting form of qigong.

If you'd like to hang out some time at wudaokou or something, if you like. Do you like to smoke hash..?

Hi Findley,

I live right by Wudaouko myself, would be nice to hang out sometime :)

wow, what are you doing in wudaokou? yeah, I guess we could meet for tea or something. Do you like hash? :P

Welcome! Good to be in Beijing, especially if you like Bagua zhang.

There is the 白云观, the most important Taoist temple of the 全真branch of taoism in Beijing. Their taoism is said to be the heritage of 吕洞宾. Some of them might know a little english and help you in your translations.

Actually the book I'm translating is from 白云观.

I also know that in this temple there's the most important center of Taoist studies. I will go there and ask some monk if they can help me :)

Thanks everybody for all of your replies :)

Hi sonia =)

Hi Findley,

thanks for you invitation. On friday I'm going to leave China for two weeks. I have to come back to Italy. After my return in Beijing we can arrange a date, also with Cameron!

I would like to start with qigong and neigong. Is there somebody who can introduce me to teachers here in Beijing? I know that there are a lot of teachers but most of them are in the US.

I'm planning to go to Wudang in June or July, but I think that that place now is too commercial and expensive.

Hi everybody,

my name's Sonia, I'm Italian and I've been living in Beijing since August.

I have a Master's degree in Chinese Language and Culture and my degree thesis topic is about the translation of tales concerning the Immortal Lu Dongbin. I'm going on with my researches on Neidan and with the translations of the tales but since sometimes Chinese Language is too hard, I'm looking for somebody who can help and explain me the meaning of some terms. I would like also to meet anybody interested in this topic for talking and share our knowledge.

Thanks everybody and have a nice day or evening whenever you live :)

Sonia

You could try posting some of the questionable characters at the Longmen Pai English forum here.. Most only speak English or another European language, but a few of the veteran disciples are bilingual in Chinese & English.

Fabrizio Pregadio (xuanying) is a great translator who posts here occasionally. He's already translated several Daoist classics.

I do wish there were more good translators fluent in Daoism, Chinese & English. The problem is that most people only know 2/3 of those, at best.. And most of the most advanced Chinese Daoist masters, know little to no English. :(

Anyone been to 白云观 lately? Is there still a stele with the Neijing Tu engraved on it? If so, I'm for sure going to be checking that out next visit soon! Anyone there find any other good Daoist (or spiritual) sites or shops in town?

Edited by vortex