DanC

Chanting Mantra's ?

Anyone here into chanting Mantra's, I have found an interesting book and CD on Amazon titled Thomas Ashley-Farrand's Healing Mantras, for some reason I feel I need to do something like this. He includes lots of different Mantras for different aspects of our lives like health, prosperity and over coming fears and obstacles.. Anyone have any experience with this sort of practice..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1564557359/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_g14_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1SX46M60P33Y8VKD5M2J&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Daniel

I've used them on and off, for years.

As I see it, sound is vibration, vibration is energy, connects with every mantra ever chanted and becomes an extremely powerful group mantra.

They have always worked for me, and to people I know, too.

Coincidentally, I started using a Mantra three days ago, and its already produced a very real and definite result, on the third day. I expected it to work, but it was still impressive.

Like any energy work, it comes down to Intention and Intent. Get that right, and you'll get the results you want.

A couple years ago I tried some mantras from that guru on youtube - Dattatrea Siva Baba. Don't know if they worked or not....They might of.

Anyone here into chanting Mantra's, I have found an interesting book and CD on Amazon titled Thomas Ashley-Farrand's Healing Mantras, for some reason I feel I need to do something like this. He includes lots of different Mantras for different aspects of our lives like health, prosperity and over coming fears and obstacles.. Anyone have any experience with this sort of practice..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1564557359/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_g14_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1SX46M60P33Y8VKD5M2J&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Daniel

i chant mantras almost every day. I am not making any claims to be awesomely insightful or even be able to answer your questions, but I do find mantras to be very useful, especially when the monkey mind is on a donkey kong rampage. I have never used that book/cd you mention, but its probably a good place to start if thats what you are intuitively drawn to.

I recommend that you start by just chanting some mantras. You can find pronounciations on the web in various places, and start with the language and culture and deity or purpose that suits you.. i like tibetan and sanskrit, some people like japanese, it all works. Even chanting mantras in english works, although it is not as resonantly beautiful in most cases.

I like to use a mala. But just chant until the mantra starts to chant itself if you don't have one. There will be a point at which you let go of your mind by degree, but you are still chanting, you don't have to think of what to say, it just says itself.

Feel free to ask any questions you have :) I'm no expert i just chant a lot, and i'd be happy to help if i can.

A couple years ago I tried some mantras from that guru on youtube - Dattatrea Siva Baba. Don't know if they worked or not....They might of.

He is now charging exorbitant fees for his courses and retreats. Not certain how well the mantras work.

I have a book by the same author as the OP is interested in.

I chant the Esoteric Lakshmi mantra daily and am soon going to be adding the Cundi (aka Zhunti) mantra as well.

Mantras do 2 things that I know of.

1. If you focus your listening attention on the mantra it will slowly begin to quiet your mind.

2. Mantras can tap into the vows of the Beings who made these mantras and so you get a sort of double effect. You get the benefit of listening repetition quieting your mind but you also get the benefit of vows aiding you as well.

3. Choose one mantra you like and one you don't to chant daily. Oftentimes chanting the mantra we don't like is the one that's actually doing some heavy lifting going up against negative things in your life. The dislike is the 'friction' from applying something positive like a mantra to the negatives in your life.

I have one of Mr. Ashley-Farrand's book/cd combos and definitely recommend them. They will be Hindu mantras so don't expect to find any Buddhist/Jewish/Sufi, etc mantras. But the mantras do work.

Here's to your success. :)

Another source that may be useful: Eknath Easwaran and his book called, "Mantram handbook"

Om Shanti...

I have used different mantras over the years, but have only just started using them daily. In keeping with modern technology, I have even made a few of them into ringtones on my phone, to ground me during the hustle & bustle of everyday living. They bring me to a place of peace.

Namaste :)