Owledge

Reincarnation + linear time + space constrains

I was wondering about the whole reincarnation idea. It seems to employ some of the closedmindedness of Christian doctrine, about humankind being the only sentient beings in the universe.

1) How is it that when the idea of reincarnation is used to examine former lives and such, that, apart from a tendency of rare gender change, it's limited to humans?

2) Isn't the 'illusion of time' part of buddhist teachings, too? How comes that a metaphysical idea like reincarnation assumes a linear progression through time?

3) Why is reincarnation involving humans at some point in time limited to planet Earth?

Seems to me that the limited scope of the idea makes it flawed in the same way that Christian teachings can be seen as flawed: only limited to what we currently know empirically.

Rhetorical summary question:

When you die, why shouldn't you reincarnate 5 million years BC as a crystal dragon on Proxima 9?

Edited by Owledge
  • Thanks 1

1) Not limited to examination of former lives neither limited to humans more as in causes leads to effects.

2) The knowing manifest itself only in the present, the thoughts of either "past" or "future" is happening right now, if it cease it also ceases right now.

3) When one wants to eat pizza, one orders one. The Pizza is relate to the company/employees/customers.

There is no independently existing Pizza; meaning without either its oven, the company or the customers. There would be no pizza. Likewise with Humans, things are inter-related. The different elements comes together and separates.

• Like 1

3) My experience is that it doesn't have to be this dimension, or planet. But I can't verify.

• Like 1

I read a study in 2003 or so about Buddhist monks and their brainwaves. Their brainwaves shot up to 42Hz (gamma band) and the amplitude of their gamma waves were over 30 times higher than lay practitioners.

More info on gamma here:

Gamma brainwaves (42Hz) are linked to consciousness itself as they disappear under general anesthesia, and are seen in high amplitude split second bursts during Aha! or Eureka moments. Like when you learn how to work a new type of math problem, or have a sudden realization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_wave

A gamma wave is a pattern of neural oscillation in humans with a frequency between 25 to 100 Hz, though 40 Hz is prototypical.

According to a popular theory, gamma waves may be implicated in creating the unity of conscious perception (the binding problem).

The proposed answer lies in a wave that originating in the thalamus, sweeps the brain from front to back, 40 times per second, drawing different neuronal circuits into synch with the precept, and thereby bringing the precept into the attentional foreground. If the thalamus is damaged even a little bit, this wave stops, conscious awarenesses do not form, and the patient slips into profound coma.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.02/dalai.html

He immediately noticed powerful gamma activity - brain waves oscillating at roughly 40 cycles per second indicating intensely focused thought. Gamma waves are usually weak and difficult to see. Those emanating from Ricard were easily visible, even in the raw EEG output. Moreover, oscillations from various parts of the cortex were synchronized - a phenomenon that sometimes occurs in patients under anesthesia.

The researchers had never seen anything like it. Worried that something might be wrong with their equipment or methods, they brought in more monks, as well as a control group of college students inexperienced in meditation. The monks produced gamma waves that were 30 times as strong as the students'. In addition, larger areas of the meditators' brains were active, particularly in the left prefrontal cortex, the part of the brain responsible for positive emotions.

http://www.pnas.org/content/101/46/16369.long

long-term Buddhist practitioners self-induce sustained electroencephalographic high-amplitude gamma-band oscillations and phase-synchrony during meditation.

I had the great idea to use binaural beats to try to entrain a 42Hz brainwave pattern, and did so for a few weeks. What I experienced was worse than ANY acid trip I've ever read about.

I experienced having more than one body in more than one reality. It was literally like being a Quan Am buddha (the one with a thousand arms).

Time as I experienced was not linear and sequential but rather solid and physical and whole and all encompassing. At each moment it branched off into other realities exactly as the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics suggests, each of which were just as real this one.

It lead to my 6 dimensional theory of reality.

4. Time

I saw my consciousness as an pulse of light flowing through a fiberoptic cable.

(really it was more like an electric pulse in a synapse in a neural network, but fiberoptic cables and light pulses are probably better ways to visualize it)

That fiber optic cable was me*, from my conception, to my death, all as one long solid object. Past me and future me are both apart of a solid and still object, and what moved was only my consciousness like a pulse of light.

*I realized that the me I identify with as the being living this life is really only a container like a fiber optic cable, the real "me" is the pulse of light or the awareness itself which can and probably will continue after my death into a new life as a new being.

Time and date were a function of the location of my consciousness along this fiberoptic cable. At one end I was conceived at another I was dead.

You might be able to think of it like our physical bodies and physical lives, environment and reality and past and future is information on a DVD, and our consciousness is the laser which reads the data, and the location of the laser beam on the DVD determines where the viewer is at in the movie from start to finish.

Like the data on a DVD, The past has already occurred, AND the future has as already occurred as well. Time is just the location your consciousness is at in the movie called your life.

Next the 5th dimension was that I was not limited to one fiber-optic cable, I could travel like a packet on the internet to any other fiber-optic cable on the network available to me.

The DVD analogy doesn't do so well here so I won't use it, but the same concept would apply.

I was like an electric pulse inside of a neural network, and could branch off in different directions based on my thoughts, and actions even the smallest things such as breathing were apart of this navigation.

To visualize what I experienced, imagine that you flip a coin, there is a reality to account for each possible outcome. Your consciousness will go down the path of one of these events as the event occurs, almost exactly like a light pulse down a fiber optic cable.

In reality, all possible realities, pasts, futures, etc are equally real and have already occurred.

So moment to moment you are presented with a near infinite series of possible choices some subconscious even that determine the direction your consciousness will move, navigating like a packet of data on the internet, or an electrical signal in a neural network.

Does that make sense? It probably only makes sense to me as I experienced it and know what I mean.

On to the 6th dimension

I turned around and went back to before my birth, I popped out of the cable itself. In dimension 5 it looked as though there were infinite possibilities for my life, each of these possible paths were separate, however seeing that from an aerial view I realized all these different possibilities for my life were in fact apart of a solid, whole, unmoving and still object. It wasn't just experiences that were limited to me either, all beings everywhere were apart of the whole.

I saw that consciousness existed everywhere, and I was just a fragment of that whole, much like a drop of water poured from a glass reuniting with an ocean, or a bubble of air of waiting to hit the surface and reunite with the air.

Essentially this being typing at this keyboard sending a message to you, IS you. We are all apart of one singular consciousness. We are one being, like a neurons in a brain are apart of the whole brain, All forms of consciousness in the universe are apart of a whole.

All possible realities that cannot be accessed by choices in your life, also exist just as real as your experience, all other possible lives by "other beings", are really apart of one whole and unmoving and still object.

We move through this fiber optic cable we believe to be a physical body, and a physical life, and a physical reality, and it really is just a container which holds us as we travel much like a real fiber optic cable containing a pulse of light, the reality is we are consciousness itself and awareness itself, we define ourselves and our identity to be the thing which contains us, it's the compete opposite of reality.

There is a reality to account for each and every possible outcome for each and every possible event, the word astronomical doesn't even do it justice the magnitude of it makes my brain melt.

Each and every possible future event or scenario that could happen to you has already occurred.

Seeing as how everything that ever could be or happen, already exists and has happened, and all you are really is viewing a premade reality, you believe yourself to be a person, and your memories to be real, and your ego and personality and your physical body to be real. All of those things really have more in common with data on a dvd, than what you really are. You are the awareness watching the movie unfold, not the movie itself as you believe yourself to be.

Simplified for those who don't want to read all that:

4th Dimension. In a movie you have animation cells about 30 per second. If you stack them like a deck of cards that is sort of like what I am talking about. Birth at one end, death at the other. Think of this except there are infinite animation cells, and they are in 3D instead of 2D as one solid object instead of a deck of cards.

5th Dimension. There isn't just one future like this, there are infinite, you navigate these infinite futures via your thoughts and choices.

6th dimension. All minds are apart of one mind, just as all cells in your body are apart of you. All possible futures and realities for all possible people and other viewers are one object.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy
  • Like 3

I believe at death the yang spirit is scattered back to the environment as John Chang and Wang LiPing believe.

The yin spirit continues but is just an unconscious dreaming mind, nothing like the person who died.

It eventually reincarnates into some reality like this as a person or some other living being when a new yang spirit fuses with it, all memories of the previous life are lost.

I guess if your karma called for it you would be reincarnated as a crystal dragon or whatever, but it would be a temporary state just like this life now.

I was wondering about the whole reincarnation idea. It seems to employ some of the closedmindedness of Christian doctrine, about humankind being the only sentient beings in the universe.

1) How is it that when the idea of reincarnation is used to examine former lives and such, that, apart from a tendency of rare gender change, it's limited to humans?

2) Isn't the 'illusion of time' part of buddhist teachings, too? How comes that a metaphysical idea like reincarnation assumes a linear progression through time?

3) Why is reincarnation involving humans at some point in time limited to planet Earth?

Seems to me that the limited scope of the idea makes it flawed in the same way that Christian teachings can be seen as flawed: only limited to what we currently know empirically.

When you die, why shouldn't you reincarnate 5 million years BC as a crystal dragon on Proxima 9?

Edited by More_Pie_Guy
  • Like 1

I guess you have meditation practice that made the binaural beats that effective, but I can try the 42 Hz. I had limited success with inducing a 6 Hz half-aware dream state by applying the frequency to brown noise using a special program. I'm curious about what will happen if I continually listen to 42 Hz.

What means did you use? How exactly did you create the sound that worked for you? I'm not sure whether my brown noise will not ruin the effect at such a high frequency.

Edited by Owledge

I guess you have meditation practice that made the binaural beats that effective, but I can try the 42 Hz. I had limited success with inducing a 6 Hz half-aware dream state by applying the frequency to brown noise using a special program. I'm curious about what will happen if I continually listen to 42 Hz.

What means did you use? How exactly did you create the sound that worked for you? I'm not sure whether my brown noise will not ruin the effect at such a high frequency.

I forgot to mention to not try it, it didn't end well. If you have to try it yourself use an EEG and do biofeedback, don't try to use binarual beats for this. It was one of the most terrifying experiences in my life, I was out of commission for months and lost my job as a result. It isn't something you are going to want to mess around with.

It isn't something you are going to want to mess around with.

Don't worry. It is. ;)

EDIT: I'm less foolish now. Definitely isn't.

Edited by Owledge

Don't worry. It is. ;)

I noticed you mentioned synchronicity in an earlier post. That was happening to be like crazy when I had the idea to make a 42Hz CD and do metta meditation each night.

When I started meditating with it each day it got worse and worse, to the point it was absurd.

Reality began to feel exactly like a dream, because there was no way for so many coincidences, ironies and synchronous events to happen.

It might be a warning for you, not to advance.

I think an EEG and software to watch your brainwaves for feedback would be a much much safer alternative than forcing your brainwaves into a state.

Remember gamma is linked to consciousness itself, start screwing with it and it might disrupt your disrupt your input/output carrier signal.

It could lead you to a point in your life where you no longer accept the reality you are living in as a real world, I don't even though that happened in 2005.

Just my $0.02

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

Well, people tend to see synchronicities as a sign that one is spiritually on the right path. When ridiculously unlikely stuff happens... well, I suspected a while ago that it is the creative force of the mind at work, and if the synchronicities are not helpful, it probably means that the programming fueling it is not helpful. Thus why synchronicities often merely show what is. On the other hand, I have no idea why stuff that I immensely focus my heart and mind on does not even remotely manifest.

Let me just say that what you just wrote reminds me of a bravery thing.* :) You might cling relatively strongly to the reality you came to accept as real, so deviations from it instill fear. Recently I had a dissociative experience, and while it was one of the most positively exciting experiences in my life, others were afraid of it merely from being told about it.

*) How could you ever become a magician/wizard if you are afraid of changes in reality? ;)

Did you see the Animatrix? If so, remember the story with the haunted house? How did the children react? :)

Edited by Owledge
  • Thanks 1

Well, people tend to see synchronicities as a sign that one is spiritually on the right path. When ridiculously unlikely stuff happens... well, I suspected a while ago that it is the creative force of the mind at work, and if the synchronicities are not helpful, it probably means that the programming fueling it is not helpful. Thus why synchronicities often merely show what is. On the other hand, I have no idea why stuff that I immensely focus my heart and mind on does not even remotely manifest.

Let me just say that what you just wrote reminds me of a bravery thing. :) You might cling relatively strongly to the reality you came to accept as real, so deviations from it instill fear. Recently I had a dissociative experience, and while it was one of the most positively exciting experiences in my life, others were afraid of it merely from being told about it.

Make sure to tell your friends and family and room mates what you are attempting if you try it, so they know to tell you to stop if they feel like it is negatively affecting you.

Watch for sleep disturbances, I didn't sleep for a week+ because of it, realizations and information was pouring out of me faster than I could write it down, every moment was an epiphany.

Stop if you get to the point you can't sleep, and make sure you are away from people if things start to get weird.

It took weeks of meditation to get to that point, so it isn't an overnight thing. I wouldn't do it every night, maybe three times a week max, for no more than an hour.

I highly advise against it even with those precautions.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

How would you characterize the extremely weird/unlikely stuff that happened? Beneficial, neutral, harmful? Did it look like a product of your own personality?

What exactly made it scary?

In the mental health part of my counseling course, there were a series of case studies of people who had psychotic episodes just from brain entrainment devises.

In the cases I saw, they were people who used the higher frequencies with out having laid a solid foundation with the lower ones first. It seems like it may be a really good Idea to start no higher than Theta for instance for several months.

Remember that most of the programs out there are teaching the brain how to go into a state and then how to come back.

A track follows a certain progression:

Take you in, hold you there, take you back.

The next track will take you in, hover at the place of the previous one, take you to the next deeper level, hold you there, take you back to the previous one, hover, then take you back.

And it progresses like this.

The Important point is that it teaches the brain itself to go in and come back with ease {even without the equipment}.

There is a fairly strong danger that if you go in without the brain having had a chance to learn how to get back from the lower states, that it can trigger deep psychosis.

On a side note, Synchronicity Foundation had a series only for their 'advanced' practitioners that was meant to train the brain to exist in multiple frequencies simultaneously: Alpha to Gamma range.

They only had it on the market for about a month, after a series of psychotic episodes in the community.

• Like 2

The Important point is that it teaches the brain itself to go in and come back with ease {even without the equipment}.

There is a fairly strong danger that if you go in without the brain having had a chance to learn how to get back from the lower states, that it can trigger deep psychosis.

Well, maybe that's a problem for people who did too much practice. Since I find it a lot harder to enter a certain frequency (thus using entrainment sounds), it was never a problem to come out of it, since that's what everyday life and normal awareness demands anyway. I used 6 Hz for quite a while, just that frequency, and as you said, but using the opposite approach, I trained my brain to get to that frequency by itself and then out of it when I stopped the sound. How is using the entrainment for enter/exit training the brain to do it 'by itself'?

After a while, I could relatively easily attain the 6 Hz effect by merely thinking of the sound and the pulse frequency.

OK, higher frequencies than normal might be a different case, but I suspect that what causes psychosis is not a mere inability to exit that frequency despite wanting to, but a fear-based inability to deal with the effects. If someone is extremely dependent on the current idea of reality, he will also only accept that one as valid, so if a distorted version of reality is shown to him, he will not think "Ah, this is an altered reality", but "WTF!!! What happens to the world?! What are these things I see?!". They only know one reality, so the induced frequency is taken as a part of it. This is based on my personal experience with people who are fooling themselves about their state of fear.

I'd almost bet you could induce psychosis in people who would never dare taking psychedelics if you forced them to take them. And there are really severe cases of concrete-heads. You can tell them it's just a psychedelic drug effect, that won't help at all, because they can't even imagine the phenomenon in their version of reality.

Remember the sensory deprivation experiments? Putting people in an environment where there simply is nothing worthy of processing to grasp for the senses? Some will go crazy. It's all attachment-based suffering. It's overwhelming people with experiences they never learned to deal with.

There's a more mundane, everyday phenomenon related to this: fear of the unknown. Make a community full of people with that powerful fear and you can call the community mentally unhealthy.

Edited by Owledge

I don't know of any reincarnation model that sees humans as the only sentient beings...

In Buddhism it is said that during samsaric existence we forever cycle between animal, human, hungry ghost, god, demigod and hell realms...

Other traditions that see beings as having a soul that is developing, will often teach about a cycle of evolution through stages, so along time ago we were animals, now we are humans, and eventually we will be something greater!

Sure on an absolute level, but on a relative level there 'seems' to be continuity, cause and effect and time/space based phenomena...

Have fun with those ones :lol:

Who knows? Many new agers would say you could be a crystal dragon on proxima 9 :)

For some reason people 'usually' report experiences of being here or in heaven or hell like realms.

Rather than thinking of reincarnation as a flawed Idea, wait till you have some experience yourself, so there is at least something experiential to make conclusions about, and then decide how you view the subject.

Have Fun!

:)

Owl and Pieguy,

Suggest finding a shaman that can show you how some spirits are created, the intelligence level, and sometimes abilities of some spirits. It seems fishy to me, to say someone dies and looses so much of what they are, or become unaware and eventually drift back into universal conciousness. Especially after interacting with spirits with strong abilities to effect the physical, and even perform healings, among other cool things. I can only speak from direct experince, though. I don't read what other people say about the subject unless I see it on the'Bums.

I think I should add that my original post was somewhat based on medium's accounts about former lives. When a medium (allegedly) examines former lives, it's mostly human on planet Earth and in the past, and as I said, gender change is rare. I suspect that this indicates some falsehood. People might be unconfortable when hearing they used to be the other gender, so for show effect, they might refrain from doing that.

I would love to meet a medium who can provide information that's actually useful.

Suggest finding a shaman that can show you how some spirits are created, the intelligence level, and sometimes abilities of some spirits.

Waaaaay easier said than done. :lol:

How would you characterize the extremely weird/unlikely stuff that happened? Beneficial, neutral, harmful? Did it look like a product of your own personality?

What exactly made it scary?

Well I'd say it was one of the most physically painful experiences I can remember, being ripped in half by a bunch of beings while tripping out, puking and pissing myself, because I couldn't move my legs to get to a bathroom, as each leg was in a different layer of a different reality. There is a lot more but it was worse than any drug trip I've ever read about in my life.

I was carying around notebooks trying to get out all the insights and knowledge that was pouring out of me before I lost contact with this reality. You could be super hyped up to the point you can't sleep.

I don't see anything good coming of forcing your brainwaves into such a state, I think biofeedback via an EEG is much safer.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy
  • Like 2

I probably would have written it off as a psychotic reaction, but I wasn't the only one it affected, the friend whom it most affected is now dead (that may be only coincidence)

I will quote him

"Man it was like reality was an onion and the layers were pealing back, I had no idea what was going on."

He wasn't on any drugs.

But lots of real life events that make no sense happened during this time frame to the point people in my life were freaking out, and not because of me but things that were happening to them.

When my brain came back together from this experience I realized I wasn't the only one whom it affected.

I am no longer an Atheist because of this experience.

In the mental health part of my counseling course, there were a series of case studies of people who had psychotic episodes just from brain entrainment devises.

In the cases I saw, they were people who used the higher frequencies with out having laid a solid foundation with the lower ones first. It seems like it may be a really good Idea to start no higher than Theta for instance for several months.

Remember that most of the programs out there are teaching the brain how to go into a state and then how to come back.

A track follows a certain progression:

Take you in, hold you there, take you back.

The next track will take you in, hover at the place of the previous one, take you to the next deeper level, hold you there, take you back to the previous one, hover, then take you back.

And it progresses like this.

On a side note, Synchronicity Foundation had a series only for their 'advanced' practitioners that was meant to train the brain to exist in multiple frequencies simultaneously: Alpha to Gamma range.

They only had it on the market for about a month, after a series of psychotic episodes in the community.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy
  • Like 1

I probably would have written it off as a psychotic reaction, but I wasn't the only one it affected, the friend who it most affected is now dead (that may be only coincidence)

I will quote him

He wasn't on any drugs.

But lots of real life events that make no sense happened during this time frame to the point people in my life were freaking out, and not because of me but things that were happening to them.

When my brain came back together from this experience I realized I wasn't the only one whom it affected.

Sure. I probably should have mentioned that in the counseling course, they look at everything from a transpersonal perspective, which can view at least a certain spectrum of 'psychotic' experience as Spiritual emergence, or a genuine birthing into the spiritual world. [like yours]

We still study the conventional views of mental Illness as well, but many of the people who have psychotic like experiences from brain sync stuff would be definitely considered Spiritual emergence cases.

Unfortunately spiritual emergence when extreme, can turn into genuine psychosis, if it lasts too long, and if the experiencer can not find maps to help process/understand the experience. The danger here is that if it becomes psychosis, and that lasts too long, then it can turn into schizophrenia.

It is like the mind which already seem shattered with spiritual emergence or psychosis then stays like this too long and breaks on a deeper level. Schizophrenia.

The future is bleak for someone in this situation.

Thanks for sharing your experiences by the way :)

Seth.

By the way... I think atheism simply means not believing in any deity. According to the correct definition, taoists can still be atheists.

Does this mean you now believe there is a Supreme Diety?

Or just that there are many other sentient beings in the universe besides life on earth?

Does this mean you now believe there is a Supreme Diety?

Or just that there are many other sentient beings in the universe besides life on earth?

I believe non physical beings exist, and I don't really understand what is going on.

I used to live in a nice cozy predictable, scientific, rational and understandable world where nothing we would "call" supernatural exists. That view was forcibly uprooted in the face of convincing evidence for me.

I think Chang is telling the truth about what he experienced, he is one of the most advanced humans alive on the planet.

There are higher intelligences above us, if they created this universe or a natural product of it I don't know for certain.

I have a lot of theories on the subject but no definite knowledge of the truth.

• Like 1

Well I'd say it was one of the most physically painful experiences I can remember, being ripped in half by a bunch of beings while tripping out, puking and pissing myself, because I couldn't move my legs to get to a bathroom, as each leg was in a different layer of a different reality. There is a lot more but it was worse than any drug trip I've ever read about in my life.

I was carying around notebooks trying to get out all the insights and knowledge that was pouring out of me before I lost contact with this reality. You could be super hyped up to the point you can't sleep.

I don't see anything good coming of forcing your brainwaves into such a state, I think biofeedback via an EEG is much safer.

"I don't see anything good coming of forcing your brainwaves into such a state"

And yet that stuff is 'out there' online. "Digital crack" exists too. 'Weidan' for moderns? The 'purists' seem to spit on Ayahausca and other 'alterating' but they'll still advocate sensorial underload (deprivation) or overload. The way I see it, stuff doesn't have to be in a 'physical/material form' to have an effect. I mean, just watch a sad movie for starters and if you find yourself crying at something that never happened to anyone really...I mean even that is just incredible. I'm figuring 'biofeedback' is just an enhanced 'witnessing' tool. But then it's lacking in actual sensuality.

Anyway, I'm sorry you went through all that stuff.

I'm sorry all that stuff happened to you.

Sure. I probably should have mentioned that in the counseling course, they look at everything from a transpersonal perspective, which can view at least a certain spectrum of 'psychotic' experience as Spiritual emergence, or a genuine birthing into the spiritual world. [like yours]

We still study the conventional views of mental Illness as well, but many of the people who have psychotic like experiences from brain sync stuff would be definitely considered Spiritual emergence cases.

Unfortunately spiritual emergence when extreme, can turn into genuine psychosis, if it lasts too long, and if the experiencer can not find maps to help process/understand the experience. The danger here is that if it becomes psychosis, and that lasts too long, then it can turn into schizophrenia.

It is like the mind which already seem shattered with spiritual emergence or psychosis then stays like this too long and breaks on a deeper level. Schizophrenia.

The future is bleak for someone in this situation.

Thanks for sharing your experiences by the way :)

Seth.

That's interesting stuff Seth. I hear in there somewhere that 'society' as a whole is having a hard time catching up with people's actual experiences (hence the whole course thing, which BTW I think is admirable) but that the 'eminence grise' would still like to have some kind of authority when it comes to such things. Have you read this? http://www.amazon.com/Woman-Who-Glows-Dark-Traditional/dp/1585420220