Sign in to follow this  
idiot_stimpy

Reading meditation

I've noticed that when reading text sitting at my computer, I am able to concentrate on the void/space behind the thoughts arising when I read.

I guess you can turn anything into a meditation.

Yep like what the master hsuan hua said "everything should be meditation even sitting on the toilet" i am paraphrasing of course.

CHAN:

The Essence of All Buddhas

Lectures by the Venerable Master Hsuan Hua

When you investigate "Who is mindful of the Buddha?" things may get vague. You keep on investigating, but you can't find out "who?" Unable to find the "who," you give rise to a "feeling of doubt." Once this feeling of doubt arises, great doubt will bring great enlightenment. Small doubt will bring small enlightenment. No doubt will bring no enlightenment. Continual doubt will bring continual enlightenment. Brief doubt will bring brief enlightenment. What is meant by a "feeling of doubt"? It's being unable to find out "who?" Hmm. "Who?"

Sustained investigation of this word "who" for hours nonstop can bring you to the point that your breath ceases, your pulse stops, your thoughts come to a standstill, and you attain a profoundly great samadhi. With that kind of samadhi, you are in samadhi when you are walking; you are in samadhi when you are sitting; you are in samadhi when you are standing; and you are in samadhi when you are lying down. You neither enter it nor leave it, and so it's called a profoundly great samadhi. At that time, above, there will be no heaven; below, there will be no earth; in between, there will be no people; and afar, there will be no objects. Absolutely everything will be empty. Even emptiness will not exist. Once emptiness is obliterated, what kind of state remains?

Take a look. Think about it. Do you still have false thoughts? Do you still have extraneous ideas? When there isn't even any emptiness, where could the false thoughts and extraneous ideas be located? Where could lust be found? At that time, it's very easy to become enlightened. It's very easy to return to the root and go back to the source, to understand your mind and see your nature. When you understand your mind and see your nature, nothing that happens presents any difficulties; there are no obstructions. Once you see your nature, you never worry.

Yep like what the master hsuan hua said "everything should be meditation even sitting on the toilet" i am paraphrasing of course.

I realize that my dissallowance of poop is unavoidable. Poop is like the unwanted stuff we flush deep into our subconscious, where we no longer have to deal with it. So that it is processed automaticly, without us ever having to deal with it.

Yet, poop can be pretty good though. For plantlife maybe. No need to flush in disgust. Perhaps even form a relationship with your poop and come to know it before you wave it goodbye.

Sign in to follow this