Sign in to follow this  
ChiDragon

Feng Shui

Yes. This one.

61JT0b53WhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This instrument is only using an ordinary compass. It can only detect the "magnetic north". How do you compensate for the magnetic field error to find the "true north"....??? I know there is a way, but I would like to hear it from you.

This instrument is only using an ordinary compass. It can only detect the "magnetic north". How do you compensate for the magnetic field error to find the "true north"....??? I know there is a way, but I would like to hear it from you.

It would be more accurate to characterize the difference between the magnetic north and true north as a variation depending on time and space, and not as an "error." There are many ways to find true north. You don't even need a compass, but it is easier with one. These methods are not secret and are well known in the west.

It would be more accurate to characterize the difference between the magnetic north and true north as a variation depending on time and space, and not as an "error." There are many ways to find true north. You don't even need a compass, but it is easier with one. These methods are not secret and are well known in the west.

What I meant by "error" was from a scientific point of view, it was something that was caused by Nature which has to be corrected by human. I'm sorry, I was using the term as an engineering definition.

We are talking about the Luo Pan at the moment, I was only responding to the point of interest.

"There are many ways to find true north."

Would you please enlighten us on this...??? Thank you...:)

61JT0b53WhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

From the Luo Pan above...

I see a compass in the center and the two red lines perpendicular to each other. The Luo Pan was made to be rotatable around the compass.

The compass was used to locate the magnetic north and the vertical red line was to be rotated to the true north to get a more accurate feng shui reading. However, the user must know how to locate the true north.

Edited by ChiDragon

I'm interested in this too. The instrument itself looks like it carries the indications of how to do it engraved on it as well as descriptions of time/space coordinates in symbolic terms- which as far as I know, regular compasses don't have and of you think about it, well, wow! I understand the luopan is also set up so that 'South' is at the top?

What should one look for when buying one?

Chi D are you referring to calculations for deviation from true north?

I'm interested in this too. The instrument itself looks like it carries the indications of how to do it engraved on it as well as descriptions of time/space coordinates in symbolic terms- which as far as I know, regular compasses don't have and of you think about it, well, wow! I understand the luopan is also set up so that 'South' is at the top?

K,

Yes, the arrow of the Lou Pan needle points South.

There is no easy answer for how to buy a Lou Pan. Generally your teacher will give it to you. Since there are several variations on them, your teacher will tell you which type to buy. However, when buying one, you should check the quality of the craftsmanship carefully since they are made in China! Also, if you have a known good compass, check the Lou Pan against it before you buy it.

CD,

The difference between variation and error is actually an important one, and your definition is not one I learned in engineering school. In the case of compasses, error is what you get when you have interference with your reading, such as from large amounts of metal in the environment. In the example that I gave earlier the error was a staggering 10 degrees!

The difference in true north and magnetic north is called declination. Declination is printed on most navigational maps. The easy way to calculate true north is simply to add or subtract the declination. You can easily look up the procedure for this online. Lacking an official declination number for your area (or supposing you live a few hundred years ago) you could calculate it from the North Star or the arc of the sun. Again, I am certain someone has posted the procedure online.

Let's start with the "Feng Shui" of our internal organs, probably the single most important thing we must address. If you fail here, you will experience a myriad of problems that will go as deep as the rabbit hole goes.

Most internal imbalances start with the following:

1. Incorrect diet

2. Ignoring the six pathogenic factors (Wind, Cold, Damp, Heat, Summer Heat, Dryness)

3. Late night activity and consuming food after sunset

4. Not regulating human emotions

5. Over-exertion

6. Excessive sexual activity

7. Trauma (physical injury)

8. Rest (not enough or too much, a balance must be kept here)

There is truly a Universe within us.

FYI....

The compass on any LuoPan is not any different. The Early Day Ba Gua was drown around the compass. The compass is just an ordinary one with a marking(red) on the tip of needle pointing at the south while the tip without marking is pointing at the magnetic north. It is customary to have the time unit 午(Wu) in the south direction. It is the same as 12:00pm at high noon.

"Chi D are you referring to calculations for deviation from true north?"

True north was to be fund by using the compass to orient the proper directions. After finding the magnetic north, the user has to rotate the Luo Pan with the vertical line, where the time unit 子(Zi), is to align with the true north. All the calculations for divination were based on all the proper directions after the true north has been found. It was not based on the true north alone. If the true north was fund and aligned, then the south was also aligned properly.

We cannot say that the needle of a compass is pointing at the south because the needle has two tips. One is pointing toward the south and the other is pointing at the north. However, as mentioned earlier, the tip pointing at the south was marked with a color(red) while the tip pointing at the north has no marking. BTW I had just noticed on my German made compass on the south tip also except the color wasn't red.

As far as looking for a Luo Pan, I think the one have shown in this thread is a very good one.

The actual Chinese compass is really pointing at the south. The needle was shaped like a spoon. Let me see if I can find one again on the internet to show you.

Edited to add:

Chinese Compass with the handle of the spoon pointing South...

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f2/Antic_chinese_Compass.jpg&imgrefurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Antic_chinese_Compass.jpg&h=1536&w=2048&sz=929&tbnid=awSJRDBHdnSlcM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=120&zoom=1&docid=0yr5n6qJncYc-M&sa=X&ei=GOhsT4nJCaiciAKd0rizBQ&ved=0CDkQ9QEwAQ]

Edited by ChiDragon

CD,

The difference between variation and error is actually an important one, and your definition is not one I learned in engineering school. In the case of compasses, error is what you get when you have interference with your reading, such as from large amounts of metal in the environment. In the example that I gave earlier the error was a staggering 10 degrees!

The difference in true north and magnetic north is called declination. Declination is printed on most navigational maps. The easy way to calculate true north is simply to add or subtract the declination. You can easily look up the procedure for this online. Lacking an official declination number for your area (or supposing you live a few hundred years ago) you could calculate it from the North Star or the arc of the sun. Again, I am certain someone has posted the procedure online.

Yes, I had looked at the information on the declination for the calculation to find the true north. I just don't like to play with semantics, would you settle those are the environmental factors which you had mentioned including the declination that are needed to be considered for accurate measurements...:)

Edited to add:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f2/Antic_chinese_Compass.jpg&imgrefurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Antic_chinese_Compass.jpg&h=1536&w=2048&sz=929&tbnid=awSJRDBHdnSlcM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=120&zoom=1&docid=0yr5n6qJncYc-M&sa=X&ei=GOhsT4nJCaiciAKd0rizBQ&ved=0CDkQ9QEwAQ]

Edited by ChiDragon

Yes, I had looked at the information on the declination for the calculation to find the true north. I just don't like to play with semantics, would you settle those are the environmental factors which you had mentioned including the declination that are needed to be considered for accurate measurements...:)

Edited to add:

Interesting repartition of influences.

I have some question to consider.

The Flying Star System use a relation of ones birth year and the birth year of the building.

1.What if the birth year of the building is wrong (happens)?

If it is wrong. How one can find the birth year by judging quality of the enviroment,

where to look at?

2.The Buildings birth year is lost (because of war or other castrophe lost documents?)

3.Can the Building be changed so that it takes an other birth year?

Thanks,

Q

The Flying Star System use a relation of ones birth year and the birth year of the building.

If it is wrong. How one can find the birth year by judging quality of the enviroment,

where to look at?

2.The Buildings birth year is lost (because of war or other castrophe lost documents?)

Thanks,

Q

Actually, in the Fly Star System, the Star flies around the house each year. It has nothing to do with the birthday of the house. Thus that's why the furniture has to move around the house every year.

where to look at?

Thanks,

Q

Friend,

Your questions are fine. It is the random comments made by a few which makes those who actually might have lineage training in these areas reluctant to answer on a public forum.

Since you seem sincere, I'll make a brief reply.

In our Xuan Kong lineage (and there are different schools of Xuan Kong) the birth year of the person is less important than the reading on the house.

1) If the birth year of the house is wrong your reading may be wrong, depending on how far off you are. That is because the birth year determines the period of the house. These periods have 20 year bands and the exact year is most important near the change in periods.

2) If you don't know the period of the house exactly, but have a general idea, then you may be able to determine it by analysis. The methods require a bit of detective work and "reverse engineering." A certain amount of judgement and intuition is required.

3) The birth year is the birth year (just like your birth date), but the period of the house can be changed, at least in our lineage there are methods to do this. It often involves significant renovations and construction. It is usually easier to have the person move. At least where an ordinary house is concerned.

Edited by tccii

Friend,

Your questions are fine. It is the random comments made by a few which makes those who actually might have lineage training in these areas reluctant to answer on a public forum.

Since you seem sincere, I'll make a brief reply.

In our Xuan Kong lineage (and there are different schools of Xuan Kong) the birth year of the person is less important than the reading on the house.

1) If the birth year of the house is wrong your reading may be wrong, depending on how far off you are. That is because the birth year determines the period of the house. These periods have 20 year bands and the exact year is most important near the change in periods.

2) If you don't know the period of the house exactly, but have a general idea, then you may be able to determine it by analysis. The methods require a bit of detective work and "reverse engineering." A certain amount of judgement and intuition is required.

3) The birth year is the birth year (just like your birth date), but the period of the house can be changed, at least in our lineage there are methods to do this. It often involves significant renovations and construction. It is usually easier to have the person move. At least where an ordinary house is concerned.

Thank you Tccii,

for taking time to make a serious answer for the questions.

The academic Feng Shui I consider as unsuited for laymans and personal complicate,

it appears one know a part and then there are many other things to consider.

When what is right seem to be very important in trad.Feng Shui as things are not completly right as then there seem to this and that rule one has to apply as well.

Sad the Black (Magician) Hat School sounds so easy with the remedies Items

and real remedies again in tradition seem to correspond with Wuxing watching which is productions cycle and which one is controlling.

And consumer protection seem to me difficult because as you said "there are different Xuan Kong schools of Xuan Kong". It seem to me one has to wait a fair amount of time to have the changes.

Best,

Q

Sign in to follow this