Sign in to follow this  
zerostao

the tao of a babe. paige.ali, yogi

from yogi berra:

You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there.

You can observe a lot by just watching.

When you arrive at a fork in the road, take it.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

It was impossible to get a conversation going, everybody was talking too much.

It's pretty far, but it doesn't seem like it.

The future ain't what it used to be.

It gets late early out there.

I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question.

How can you think and hit at the same time?

If the world was perfect, it wouldn't be.

from satchel paige:

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines.

Avoid running at all times.

Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Avoid fried foods, which angry up the blood.

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?

I ain't ever had a job, I just always played.

Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man.

Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching.

from muhammad ali:

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.

Age is whatever you think it is. You are as old as you think you are.

I know where I'm going and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want.

He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.

Friendship... is not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything.

from babe ruth:

Who is richer? The man who is seen, but cannot see? Or the man who is not being seen, but can see?

Yesterday's home runs don't win today's games.

You just can't beat the person who never gives up.

• Like 8

antonio porchia quotes

"in a full heart there is room for everything, and in an empty heart there is room for nothing"

"That in man which cannot be domesticated is not his evil but his goodness."

"Set out from any point. They are all alike. They all lead to a point of departure"

"If you do not raise your eyes you will think you are the highest point"

"I have been my own disciple and my own master. And I have been a good disciple but a bad master"

"He who has seen everything empty itself is close to knowing what everything is filled with."

"He who does not know how to create should not know"

"They will say you are on the wrong road, if it is your own."

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 3

"one of the best ways to persuade others is with your ears-by listening to them"

dean rusk

"the doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live"

flora whittemore

"sometimes it's worse to win a fight than to lose"

billie holiday

Some more pearls from Yogi Berra:

I really didn't say everything I said.

It's deja vu all over again.

Pair up in threes.

When asked what time it was, Yogi replied, "You mean now?"

We're lost but we're making good time.

90% of the game is half mental.

When asked if he wanted his pizza cut into four or eight slices, Yogi replied, "Four. I don't think I can eat eight."

Yogi was once honored by being presented the key to New York City by the mayor on a miserably hot and humid day. Mayor Lindsay's wife, Mary, turned to Yogi and said, "Yogi, you are so cool." Yogi replied, "You're don't look so hot yourself."

• Like 2

muhammad ali:

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."

Doing a reality check on that one will reveal a vast emptiness of meaning.

It's just a metaphorical morality saying, and if you realize how it doesn't match reality, you just change your interpretation of it and then it fits.

In short: Whatever floats your boat.

Edited by Owledge
  • Like 1

"muhammad ali: "Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."

Doing a reality check on that one will reveal a vast emptiness of meaning.

It's just a metaphorical morality saying, and if you realize how it doesn't match reality, you just change your interpretation of it and then it fits.

In short: Whatever floats your boat.

Yeah, but even if its not real. Even if helping others gets no brownie points, no karmic pay back, doesn't help you a wit. Its still true.

We plant fruit trees for future generations, we do good because it (may) leads others to do good. Its not enough to be neutral in this world, we need to be positive cause entropy is out there and if we're not positive and helping others, we're probably moving down.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

..., we need to be positive cause entropy is out there and if we're not positive and helping others, we're probably moving down.

It's all either inside or outside, and in both cases, entropy as well as negentropy. Both from the same source.

Don't base your doing good on an opposition to or fear of bad stuff. It will probably happen anyway, in all of us, but we don't have to solidify this into verbalized thought patterns.

It's all either inside or outside, and in both cases, entropy as well as negentropy. Both from the same source.

Don't base your doing good on an opposition to or fear of bad stuff. It will probably happen anyway, in all of us, but we don't have to solidify this into verbalized thought patterns.

Its not for reward or fear of bad stuff. I do good because I have power, control and reasoning. There are times through out the day I have opportunities to do good, nothing fancy, make a person smile, open a door, give to a charity. Its my wish to make such action my habit; find small opportunities to help others, just a little.

Maybe its a drop in an ocean, a few star fish thrown back into water while thousands lay above, but to the star fish helped its everything. Smiles spreads, and one good deed may lead to another. My results will never be perfect, never be earth shaking, but like a gardener, its my hope is that precious little things spread and grow.

• Like 2

I agree. I had this thought recently when watching youtube videos. When you see an owl that was hurt by a car, and you want to help, the owl will perceive you as a giant, all-powerful threatening animal. Once you gained its trust, you will morph into a giant, all-powerful helper. Then, once the owl is healed and can be released into the forest again, it will carry the experience of interspecies love and compassion into the forest and subtlely live it and influence its environment.

And before you know it, you have a magical forest. :D

Seriously... it is magical. I once helped lots of hoverflies out of a life-or-death situation and even befriended some, and a while later some kept visiting me when I was doing standing practice in the park, sitting on my hand or nose.

Edited by Owledge

ponders magical negentropy.....this may take awhile glare.gif

smiles, spreading and growing smile.gif it's contaigious maybe.

make the world you wish to live in, imagine that.

• Like 1

the Tao of marcus aurelius:

very little is needed to make a happy life.

the universe is change, our life is what our thoughts make it.

by a tranquil mind i mean nothing else but a mind well ordered.

if you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it;

and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.

waste no more time talking about great souls and how they should be. become one yourself!

• Like 4

the Tao of marcus aurelius:

very little is needed to make a happy life.

the universe is change, our life is what our thoughts make it.

by a tranquil mind i mean nothing else but a mind well ordered.

if you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it;

and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.

waste no more time talking about great souls and how they should be. become one yourself!

Surprised ,

I thought your own views were more religious than the philosophical stance taken by aurelius in meditations (I presume)

though they suit me well enough too

• Like 2

stosh,

i have always appreciated marcus. i wouldnt know how to define religious really. to me it is man-made.

Spirituality , i look at much differently. have you had the chance to look in my ppl experience thread?

posts # 1, 23, 27

http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/phl302/texts/emerson/nature-emerson-a.html#Chapter

Edited by zerostao

from moliere; tao of moliere

a wise man is superior to any insults which can be put upon him and the best reply to unseemly behavior is patience and moderation.

some of the most famous books are the least worth reading. their fame was due to their having done something that needed to be doing(said/read)in their day. the work is done and the virtue of the book has expired.

one ought to look a good deal at oneself before thinking of condemning others.

the trees that grow slow bear the best fruit

i have the fault of being a little more sincere than is proper

it is not only for what we do that we are held responsible, but also for what we do not do. (z's comentary> i see sartre saying almost the exact same thing 3 centuries later and then it became 'existentialism',,of course the Crow indians had the existential concept centuries b4 moliere even, but i digress)

hypocrisy is a fashionable vice......

all the ills of mankind, all the tragic misfortunes that fill the history books, all the political blunders, all the failures of the great leaders have arisen merely from a lack of skill at dancing

the essence of Fa Jin is to give and by no means to receive ! (ok, maybe moliere didnt say this hehehe but he wouldve)

• Like 3

the recent thread about gerard's departure reminded me to post a few of these quotes. i will share the Tao of Rilke and Goethe

rilke;

if your daily life seems poor, do not blame it, blame yourself that you are not poet enuff to call forth its riches: for the Creator, there is no poverty.

this is the miracle that happens everytime to those who really love: the more they give, the more they possess.

let life happen to you, believe me: life is in the right, always.

no great art has ever been made without the artist having known danger.

the future enters into us, in order to transform itself in us, long before it happens.

the deepest experience of the creator is feminine, for it is the experience of receiving and bearing.

who has not sat before his own heart's curtain? it lifts: and the scenery is falling apart.

goethe

the soul that sees beauty may sometimes walk alone.

none are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.

the way you see people is the way you treat them, and the way you treat themis what they become.

as soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live.

magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.

wisdom is found only in truth. few people have the imagination for reality.

doubt grows with knowledge. all theory dear friend is gray, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.

personality is everything in art and poetry.

we are never deceived; we deceive ourselves.

he only earns his freedom and his life who takes them every day by storm.

all things are only transitory. life is the childhood of our immortality. i can tell you, honest friend, what to believe: believe in life: it teaches better than the book or orator.

the artist alone sees spirits. but after he has told of their appearing to him, everybody sees them.

• Like 1

shamelessly bumping my own thread but just to share

there is a word i like 'share'

so sharing the Tao of steve winwood kinda like he has wood and wind element ^_^ HEY!

and 27 years later how different does he look ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Eb03s4EV-4

yeah give me sum of that tao bum luvin every day and share it with those you know

that never have the great fortune to visit the tao bums

quirky bunch that we are :wub:

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this