jacklantegi

Is Jing = Sperm?

Hi everyone!

I have read in many, many places that jing is stored in semen, but I have not found a definitive answer to the following question:

Is it the jing located in the actual sperm cells, in the seminal fluid, or an alchemical by-product carried within the liquid but not in a physical form.

If one is infertile (due to hormonal treatment; can produce seminal fluid but not sperm), does this mean that jing is conserved?

If it is conserved, can it be manipulated in the same way as if it were stored in the sperm cells? Where does it stay before relocating in the sperm?

精(jing): the prenatal essential substance which made up of the the human body

精子(jing Zi): the sperm.

you can think of jing as catalyst. various endocrines have different sorts of catalyst and they all relate to one another in some manner. so the production can be enhanced, even to the point where it reflects back upon and enhances the qi, supports the nourishment of the spirit (when the endocrines are in balance, one is likely to be happy, if one's endocrines are out, tougher to feel well and be happy, think for example bipolar;) so the jing storage and production can be depleted, damaged even if abused (i.e. over eating, drinking, sex, etc)...so therefore jing zi is a subset of jing, circle within a circle in venn diagram...

• Like 1

some schools teach jing = semen essence, and most schools teach jing = marrow/kidney essence, and what joeblast said about hormones and catalyst is awesome. But the most awesome thing i think is what my qigong teacher (ch'an buddhist) said about jing which is that the physical body is jing. All of it IS jing essence, like energy vibrating in the phase state of organic matter is jing. So there's that. Different folks focus on different aspects of jing so you might get different answers!

• Like 1

The understanding I've found most durable is that jing is still at the vibrational level of energy rather than matter, but it is still a lower or heavier frequency than refined qi, though it is made of qi as everything within Dao is made of Qi and governed by Dao.

I wonder if anyone could explain what it is that shoots up your spine when you're loosening up, just stretching for example. It feels like maybe just some nerve stimulations along the spine but also like something shoots up it, though not with the tingling tinkling bell sensations which may accompany Kundalini.

Joeblast, you seem like you would have a pretty thorough explanation or understanding of this. Other people know what I'm talking about right?

精(jing): the prenatal essential substance which made up of the the human body

精子(jing Zi): the sperm.

People do get confuse with these terms, even some Chinese.

It is 子(zi) at the end of 精(jing) to make it, 精子, as sperm. The 精(jing) alone does not make it a sperm.

Edited by ChiDragon

The understanding I've found most durable is that jing is still at the vibrational level of energy rather than matter, but it is still a lower or heavier frequency than refined qi, though it is made of qi as everything within Dao is made of Qi and governed by Dao.

I wonder if anyone could explain what it is that shoots up your spine when you're loosening up, just stretching for example. It feels like maybe just some nerve stimulations along the spine but also like something shoots up it, though not with the tingling tinkling bell sensations which may accompany Kundalini.

Joeblast, you seem like you would have a pretty thorough explanation or understanding of this. Other people know what I'm talking about right?

Zheng Qi - from what I've gandered it is a quasi-central channel manifestation that assists the very basic structures when sitting or standing - that's part of why zhan zhuang produces many benefits for sitting meditation, it is ostensibly training the very basic structures to be net energy positive while still consuming that little bit required to keep the structure in place. That's why if you have bad posture it requires more energy to sit there, stand there. The nerve tinglies are a bottleneck getting moved past, so for example you've harmonized the breath and it reaches a threshold of net-positive energy, it flows forth at some point when it overcomes whatever the bottleneck is.

In the context of stretching, similar, but from a physical loosening as opposed to doing it qi-side.

I'll go back in my notes and dig more up, but I first came across the term when I took that xing shen zhuang class and we had asked about certain manifestations.

It works something like this: The food that we eat is processed by the Spleen/Stomach Organ-System to produce Gu Qi. The air that we breathe is processed by the Lung Organ-System to produce Kong Qi. The essence of the food (Gu Qi) is sent up to the chest where it mixes with the essence of the air (Kong Qi) to produce Zong Qi. In terms of western physiology, this is the rough equivalent to the oxygenation of the blood that happens in the lungs. Supported by Yuan Qi (Congenital Qi, stored in the Kidneys), Zong Qi is then transformed into Zheng Qi (True Qi), which in its yin aspect becomes Ying Qi (what flows through the meridians) and in its yang aspect becomes Wei Qi (which protects us from external pathogens).