Rishi Das

Master who Embraces Simplicity (Baopuzi)

Anyone know where to find a translated English copy? Been looking all over the place, can't seem to find one anywhere.

Edited by don_vedo
  • Like 1

Man oh man are these ever scarce so I hope whoever buys them will scan and pdf them (I'm pretty sure the copyrights are expired) so they don't effectively disappear forever..

But here's some links:

Master Who Embraces Simplicity: A Study of the Philosopher Ko Hung, 283-343 [Paperback]Jay Sailey (Author)

Nei P'ien: Alchemy, Medicine and Religion in the China of A.D.320 [Paperback]Ko Hung (Author), James R. Ware (Editor)

A PDF would be a phenomenal find!

hi don, so here is a pdf - Inner chapters of Baopuzi

http://www.taoiststudy.com/content/inner-chapter-baopuzi-%E6%8A%B1%E6%9C%B4%E5%AD%90-master-who-embraces-simplicity-ge-hong-%E8%91%9B%E6%B4%AA-0

sorry it is in chinese. however google translate puts an interesting twist to it :)

I would recommend getting Fabrizio Pregadio book, Great Clarity.

http://www.goldenelixir.com/publications/great_clarity.html

• Like 2

hi don, so here is a pdf - Inner chapters of Baopuzi

http://www.taoiststudy.com/content/inner-chapter-baopuzi-%E6%8A%B1%E6%9C%B4%E5%AD%90-master-who-embraces-simplicity-ge-hong-%E8%91%9B%E6%B4%AA-0

sorry it is in chinese. however google translate puts an interesting twist to it :)

Thanks a lot for the input humbleone! Greatly appreciated!

Edited by don_vedo

Looked around for it tonight, nothing "readily" available as in free dlc but im considering buying it, even though the wikipedia article about it gives me the impression it hasnt really been translated fully or well. Any opinions?

Maybe its another case of "buy three different versions in english and fall asleep trying to read between the gaps and lines and perhaps dilute it all into a idiosyncratic summary wherein the 'point' is at best misplaced"?

Is that just me being overly skeptical and/or overeager? Descriptions of it paint it as a key to incredible and detailed information about roughly everything of interest and then some :)

Anyhow, im considering giving the italian sounding fellows version a shot.

Edited by Rocky Lionmouth

Some search words;

Humans, Spirits, and Sages in Chinese Late Antiquity - by Puett

Cinnabar and Gold in Chinese Taoist Alchemy & Medicine A.D. 320 to 2012 by Ware

A study of the central scripture of Laozi (Laozi zhongjing) by Alexandre Illouchine. Informative work. Copyrighted.

• Like 1

You might want to check out this book by Robert F. Campany-

To Live as Long as Heaven and Earth: A Translation and Study of Ge Hong's Traditions of Divine Transcendents

www.ucpress.edu/book.php?isbn=9780520230347

• Like 2