DalTheJigsaw123

New Xbox is 'due out next year' - and the hi-tech machine will no longer have a disc drive

New Xbox is 'due out next year' - and the hi-tech machine will no longer have a disc drive.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1oh2OZ69c

Hi Leon.

I moved this Topic to the Off Topic section as:

1. This subject is PERFECT for the Off-Topic section and I have been trying hard to encourage active and lively participation in the Off-Topic section at Taobums.

2. The new XBox doesn't have anything to do with the general theme of "General Discussion". Yes, I know it says General Discussion but the subtitle makes it clear it's mainly for all kinds of Spiritual traditions/lineages/practices, etc discussion.

and...like I said...I'm trying hard to boost participation in the Off-Topic section and this post is perfect for it. :)

p.s. I have a sneaky suspicion Microsoft are eliminating the hard drive to

a. make it harder to pirate games

b. make money off proprietary media which they have more control over

c. cut costs - coulda sworn I read somewhere that hard drives are one of the most expensive components making up an Xbox aside from the CPU/Memory, etc.

• Like 3

p.s. I have a sneaky suspicion Microsoft are eliminating the hard drive to

a. make it harder to pirate games

b. make money off proprietary media which they have more control over

c. cut costs - coulda sworn I read somewhere that hard drives are one of the most expensive components making up an Xbox aside from the CPU/Memory, etc.

The cd-rom drive and the hard disc are by an extremely wide margin the absolute slowest components in the entire contraption (and the hdd is much faster than a cd - I have a disc that loads a stripped down OS just from the disc itself, good for when your computer wont boot, but it literally takes five times as long to boot as when loading from the hdd.) Solid state drives are just so much faster than the old school moving parts HDDs, so imho this is mostly a performance thing. It may make it harder to pirate also, I'd gander they'd probably put the gamestuff on little encrypted thumb drives, those are not easy to duplicate and rip off.

Might be catching up with playstation (i.e. PSP-GO) and only have download content :P

I can't recall which publisher but one of the big companies recently phased out printed manuals as it was just too expensive for the "value" theyt add

(but reading the manual is the only thing you can do while waiting for the playstaion to install and then update your new game <_< )

I think what you'll find, ultimately, is that when they remove the cdrom, that you'll also have to pay for a subscription to the xbox internet service in order to download games. First month will be free though. Playstation will do the same thing. It's all about milking people out of as much money as you can.

I loved my Atari.

Aaron

I think what you'll find, ultimately, is that when they remove the cdrom, that you'll also have to pay for a subscription to the xbox internet service in order to download games. First month will be free though. Playstation will do the same thing. It's all about milking people out of as much money as you can.

I loved my Atari.

Aaron

I think they'll flirt with the idea, but ultimately its going to be the end users that will dictate this - they'll either buy it, or they wont. Subscriptions will be pitched as providing access to more games than buying individually which would probably be the only benefit - you'll see game-FOBs that are "the game" instead of the other media, but just up and switching over is not going to be received very well, especially when another platform can offer it more traditionally if people dont want to shell out on subscription.

Beauty of market solutions is the end user gets a say in this sort of thing, limited though it may be.

Commadore, Atari, NES, Sega Genesis, SNES, Playstation, Sega Saturn/CD, N64, Dreamcast, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, and Wii > X-box/microsoft consoles, and monthly fees, period.

MS should stick to PC laugh.gif internet is the only worthy monthly fee. biggrin.gif not even MMO is worth a cent a year.

Edited by Hot Nirvana Judo Trend