Sign in to follow this  
Rishi Das

Humiliation just might lead to humility

Not really looking for responses, however if someone feels the urge, need, or want to add/respond to the thread then by all means...go for it.

Anyways I just wanted to call myself out for showing absolutely no HUMILITY and coming off as pretty freaking arrogant these past couple weeks in pretty much all the threads I have posted in. While I thought I was reining in that big ego of mine, it turns out that sneaky little bastard was growing in a whole nother area! :lol:

The fact is, I haven't been on Tao Bums long; hell it was just a couple months ago I was the newbie looking for advice, running around feeling like a chicken with my head cut off. Nothing made sense, everyone was my superior and the world was shrouded in black and white...I just wanted to know truth.

Alas I found a teacher that really brought it; not only has he opened me up in ways I never even considered possible, he even introduced me to the real side of spirituality that not only scared the balls out of me, but made me realize what it really means to be a spiritual warrior. :wub: Gratitude and dedication will forever go to the man who has completely changed my life which i'm now sure will continue changing from here on out.

Anyways to get to the point: at this point in the process of my unfoldment, the world is finally filling in with color, things seem a bit more clear and the energy is finally unblocking and flowing freely. However because of this, my excitement and enthusiasm has somehow led me to a place where I decided I knew everything. Not only did I assume I knew everything I also decided I was going to share, but to take it that much further I decided I was going to be arrogant while doing so; almost as if all of you didn't know what the hell you were talking about. :blush:

Well, just so happens the teacher got a whiff of this arrogance and decided to call me on my shit; while the discussion was simply personal it left me feeling absolutely humiliated. The funny thing about humiliation is it feels a lot like humility; instead of running away to look for something that made me feel better about myself, I simply abided in that energy, I witnessed it and let it wash over me...and what a great lesson it turned out to be.

So today I just wanted to admit that I don't know shit, and it's probably not wise to take advice from me. The only thing I really know is that I don't know and i'm finally figuring out that that's plenty ok for me.

Anyways wish you all well in whatever it is your doing. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Edited by don_vedo
  • Like 6

Not really looking for responses, however if someone feels the urge, need, or want to add/respond to the thread then by all means...go for it.

Anyways I just wanted to call myself out for showing absolutely no HUMILITY and coming off as pretty freaking arrogant these past couple weeks in pretty much all the threads I have posted in. While I thought I was reining in that big ego of mine, it turns out that sneaky little bastard was growing in a whole nother area! :lol:

The fact is, I haven't been on Tao Bums long; hell it was just a couple months ago I was the newbie looking for advice, running around feeling like a chicken with my head cut off. Nothing made sense, everyone was my superior and the world was shrouded in black and white...I just wanted to know truth.

Alas I found a teacher that really brought it; not only has he opened me up in ways I never even considered possible, he even introduced me to the real side of spirituality that not only scared the balls out of me, but made me realize what it really means to be a spiritual warrior. :wub: Gratitude and dedication will forever go to the man who has completely changed my life which i'm now sure will continue changing from here on out.

Anyways to get to the point: at this point in the process of my unfoldment, the world is finally filling in with color, things seem a bit more clear and the energy is finally unblocking and flowing freely. However because of this, my excitement and enthusiasm has somehow led me to a place where I decided I knew everything. Not only did I assume I knew everything I also decided I was going to share, but to take it that much further I decided I was going to be arrogant while doing so; almost as if all of you didn't know what the hell you were talking about. :blush:

Well, just so happens the teacher got a whiff of this arrogance and decided to call me on my shit; while the discussion was simply personal it left me feeling absolutely humiliated. The funny thing about humiliation is it feels a lot like humility; instead of running away to look for something that made me feel better about myself, I simply abided in that energy, I witnessed it and let it wash over me...and what a great lesson it turned out to be.

So today I just wanted to admit that I don't know shit, and it's probably not wise to take advice from me. The only thing I really know is that I don't know and i'm finally figuring out that that's plenty ok for me.

Anyways wish you all well in whatever it is your doing. Thanks for taking the time to read.

This is one seriously courageous post my friend! Good for you :)

I applaud anyone willing to face the nastier side of their personalities, and who has the guts to sit in the uncomfortable places rather than turn and run.

Whoever the teacher is, it sounds like they have a good student, and those are as rare as good teachers. Respek!

Seth.

• Like 2

Great post!

:lol:

It's nice to know there are others here who know nothing and are OK with it

• Like 2

It's a trap that's easy to fall into. We dust ourselves off, get up speed and trip into it again :).

These days I'm thinking its not so bad. We're human, we're passionate, we're Not enlightened, so let us be honest; make mistakes, and say I apologize, I was wrong.

just to save some time,

to all the people I've wronged in the past; I'm sorry.

to all the bastards I'll wrong in the future, sorry, my bad :)

Excellent post, but let me make some clarifications regarding Taoism and humility. Although many people believe that humility is one of the three jewels, it's actually not, in fact humility is confused with "not striving to be first in the world". In fact the idea of not being first in the world is repeated throughout the Tao Te Ching and it simply means that we should not compete with others. This means it's fine to understand that you're good at something, just don't compete. The problem with most people is that they believe humility means that you're not as good as others, but that's not the correct attitude when approaching humility, rather you should understand you are no better or worse than others. Even if you're better at say, martial arts than someone else, that doesn't mean that you're better than them in everything. Everyone has something to offer you, whether it's a tip on how to cook noodles properly or a life experience that they learned from that you can learn from as well. So remember you're no better or worse than me and you have something to offer me, just like I have something to offer you.

Good luck on your journey and remember there is no substitute for practice, and that means practicing what you know is right in all your affairs.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

Sign in to follow this