zenstillempty

Easy Zen for Everyone

1."Zen in its essence is the art of seeing into the nature of one's own being, and it points the way from bondage to freedom." -- Zen Master D.T. Suzuki

2. The anti-rational nature of zen has some value, but it needs a certain view. Zen rejected the religious conventions of Buddhism and the philosophical and scholarly approach to Buddhism teachings. Philosophical or metaphysical questions were answered with a swift blow. Students were to go out of their paradigms and habitual patters of thinking. When masters asked a question, the response could not be based on logic, traditional teachings, and reason.

The students could not lean on any model or pattern of thinking. Zen pulled out the rug from under everyone. The ordinary models of thinking were unacceptable and there was nothing to hold on to. When students wanted to know the truth sincerely , whole-heartedly, and there would occur an abandonment of all former thinking, then the mind would open up to the direct experience of its own nature.

3. Sometimes it's best too start at the beginning. When the judging is done, judge never again. Feel the difference between harmful and not, and then feel no more. What's the point? Then do as Chinese Zen Master Hui-neng taught:

Those who train themselves in Zen should be indifferent to others faults and abilities, negatives and positives, for such an attitude manifests the emotional imperturbability of the empty, selfless, natural mind nature (Samadhi). Those who train themselves for this emotional imperturbability should, in their contact with all situations, emotionally ignore the positives and negatives of it.

As soon as you open your mouth or mind and emotionally identify negatives or positives, you have deviated from the Dao of Zen. When you become emotionally attached to outer objects, your essential mind nature becomes agitated. When you are emotionally detached to outer objects, the inner peace of your natural mind nature (Samadhi) remains. The reason why we become emotionally perturbed is because we allow ourselves to be carried away and then emotionally attached to the circumstances we are in.

-- Zen Master Hui-neng

Excellent, I particularly like the last paragraph, but have trouble with the indifference to others in the one before it (i), which shows my distance from the Way. :)

Edited by thelerner

Thanks for this, it reminds me of what originally attracted me to Zen and meditation almost 20 years ago. I have started studying Hung Fa Yi (Shaolin Wing Chun, Red Boat lineage) and have been looking to dig deeper into Ch'an as a result. I can definitely relate to metaphysical/philosophical questions answered with a swift blow!

Pretty sure that the Heart Sutra is very important in the Zen tradition and is chanted by monks. I do not agree that studying Buddhist view is not part of Zen. It very much is, especially at the beginning.

• Like 1

I studied Chinese Zen (Ch'an) with a Zen nun and I thought the Tao Bums might find it interesting. This Chinese Zen has almost all philosophical and scholastic material removed and gets to the essence of the matter.

Zen training begins with the first step and so I will go step by step from basic to advanced. Each step is thus in order and should be memorized if you are going to take this training. I do this for my own edification, yours, and in honor of the Buddha and his compassion and mindfulness.

1."Zen in its essence is the art of seeing into the nature of one's own being, and it points the way from bondage to freedom." -- Zen Master D.T. Suzuki

2. The anti-rational nature of zen has some value, but it needs a certain view. Zen rejected the religious conventions of Buddhism and the philosophical and scholarly approach to Buddhism teachings. Philosophical or metaphysical questions were answered with a swift blow. Students were to go out of their paradigms and habitual patters of thinking. When masters asked a question, the response could not be based on logic, traditional teachings, and reason.

The students could not lean on any model or pattern of thinking. Zen pulled out the rug from under everyone. The ordinary models of thinking were unacceptable and there was nothing to hold on to. When students wanted to know the truth sincerely , whole-heartedly, and there would occur an abandonment of all former thinking, then the mind would open up to the direct experience of its own nature.

I LOVE Zen. I think it's my favorite "brand" of Buddhism. Mainly because it's a big antidote to everything I do way too much of...such as the above. Especially over-thinking. I do waaaay too much of that. Always spinning castles in the air instead of actually 'gathering data' to see if my beloved theories of how Life is actually is in fact true.

For someone like me I think Tibetan Buddhism might not be a good place to start. Too much baggage for a beginner. For a later stage it might be valuable but for me I like the practice orientation of Zen.

I've been very influenced by Zen Masters Nan Haui-Chin and Zen Master Hsuan Hua. :wub:

• Like 1

I studied Chinese Zen (Ch'an) with a Zen nun and I thought the Tao Bums might find it interesting. This Chinese Zen has almost all philosophical and scholastic material removed and gets to the essence of the matter.

Zen training begins with the first step and so I will go step by step from basic to advanced. Each step is thus in order and should be memorized if you are going to take this training. I do this for my own edification, yours, and in honor of the Buddha and his compassion and mindfulness.

I LOVE Zen. I think it's my favorite "brand" of Buddhism. Mainly because it's a big antidote to everything I do way too much of...such as the above. Especially over-thinking. I do waaaay too much of that. Always spinning castles in the air instead of actually 'gathering data' to see if my beloved theories of how Life is Actually IS is in fact true.

For someone like me I think Tibetan Buddhism might not be a good place to start. Too much baggage for a beginner. For a later stage it might be valuable but for me I like the practice orientation of Zen.

I've been very influenced by Zen Masters Nan Haui-Chin and Zen Master Hsuan Hua. :wub:

Also the 6th Zen Patriarch's Platform Sutra is a wonderful read. :wub:

I have one translation but I *really* want the translation with Master Hsuan Hua's commentary as well.

• Like 1

3. Sometimes it's best too start at the beginning. When the judging is done, judge never again. Feel the difference between harmful and not, and then feel no more. What's the point? Then do as Chinese Zen Master Hui-neng taught:

Those who train themselves in Zen should be indifferent to others faults and abilities, negatives and positives, for such an attitude manifests the emotional imperturbability of the empty, selfless, natural mind nature (Samadhi). Those who train themselves for this emotional imperturbability should, in their contact with all situations, emotionally ignore the positives and negatives of it.

As soon as you open your mouth or mind and emotionally identify negatives or positives, you have deviated from the Dao of Zen. When you become emotionally attached to outer objects, your essential mind nature becomes agitated. When you are emotionally detached to outer objects, the inner peace of your natural mind nature (Samadhi) remains. The reason why we become emotionally perturbed is because we allow ourselves to be carried away and then emotionally attached to the circumstances we are in.

-- Zen Master Hui-neng

Responses

1) It would be better to say "clear the mind of all thought and wait".

2) That may be a risk, but such a state is recognizable and correctable.

3) Not a real problem. Each of the options is appropriate in its time and place.

-- Zen Master Hui-neng

Reminds me of Chapter 37-8 of the Tao Te Ching

"It is because man desires to act and change things, that he creates imbalance within himself and all around him. If he lacked desire, then all would be well.."

"A truly good man does nothing and yet nothing is left undone."

According to Bill Bodri Vedanta is a modernized version of Zen. If you want to understand old Zen masters and Zen stories he said it helps greatly to study Vedanta then go back to studying Zen.

Interesting SereneBlue. I saw some similarities from reading the Wiki page. But there would be a lot of new, Hindu terms I would have to learn, and that's what I'm trying to avoid. Fewer words the better. I'm into it specifically as my singular religion and not for comparative religions/philosophy studies. If I have any questions I ask my teacher. Of course I could spend 40 years trying to comprehend the whole of Chinese Zen Buddhism. That's why I describe what I've learned as basic Zen.

HISTORY OF THIS ZEN BUDDHIST SECT

14. This Chinese Zen sect is called Bailin Temple Zen. The current Abbot and Grand Master is Jing Hui. He personally taught my teacher over a 20 year period and she received Inka directly from him. He studied under the famous Chinese Zen Master Hsu Yun for many years and received full transmission from him in the ZhaoZhou lineage style. Zen Master Jing Hui currently teaches a summer seminar every year at Bailin Temple with about 1000 students, mostly Chinese. So he is keeping this religious Zen sect alive.

Zen Master Jing Hui, Abbot of the Chinese Zen Buddhist Bailin Temple, and other Buddhist leaders in China, often state that only those who have taken guiyi (conversion ceremony) can be considered true Zen Buddhists. The Bailin Temple has functioned as the center of Buddhist revivals in Hebei Province. It is where my Zen Master was a disciple of, and formally trained by, Zen Master and Abbot Jing Hui, receiving the transmission of the ZhaoZhou lineage and Lin Chi.

15. By the end of 1987, the whole Province of Hebei had only two Buddhist temples open for religious services; their shabby halls and tatty living quarters were in desperate need of renovation, but the small income from devotees and tourism was not enough even to support the daily life of the few ailing monks who tended the temples.

In the whole province, no more than 4,000 lay Buddhist believers had taken guiyi (Chan 1989-1), the formal rite of conversion. From that point on however, Buddhist growth in Hebei has been nothing but extraordinary.

For example, within two days in May 1988, 461 people in the county of Renxian in Southern Hebei took guiyi rite under the Venerable Jing Hui (Chan 1990-4). On 8 January 1995, over a thousand people took the rite at the Bailin Temple (Chan 1995-2).

16. The famous Zen Master Hsu Xun received transmissions from both the North School of Zen and the South School of Zen. Thus he was the modern, transmission holder of both Zen Master Chao-chou and the House of Lin-chi. Zen master Lin-chi received transmission from Zen Master Huang-po who received transmission from a long line going back to Zen Master Hui Neng, the sixth patriarch of Chinese Zen.

Zen Master Hui Neng received transmission from a long line going back to Zen Master Bodhidharma. Master Bodhidharma received transmission via a long line leading directly back to Zen Master Matyakasyapa, who received transmission directly from the first Zen Master, the Buddha.

For those so interested, there is a modern disciple of Grand Master and Abbot Jing Hui of Bailin Temple who actively is teaching and has reading material. Chan Master Ming Qing (Daniel Odier) received in China the transmission of the lineage of Zhaozhou by the Master Jing Hui, successor of Xu Yun considered as the largest Chan Master of China of the XXth century. Xu Yun was holder of all the five lineages of Chan. http://www.zhaozhou-chan.com/ENGLISH/entree_e.html

Edited by zenstillempty

I LOVE Zen.

Also the 6th Zen Patriarch's Platform Sutra is a wonderful read.

I had a brief affair with early Chinese Buddism... about 3 years long. I can still see her face like it was yesterday...

Another great read is "The Zen Teaching of Huang-Po: On the Transmission of Mind".

His disciple was Lin Chi. His wont to beat, slap, and shock his monks is notorious... One can read "The Zen Teachings of Master Lin-Chi".

Marcel Proust... and "Remembrance of Things Past" is often instantly in the present.

Many things for this thread and posts.

Also the 6th Zen Patriarch's Platform Sutra is a wonderful read. :wub:

I have one translation but I *really* want the translation with Master Hsuan Hua's commentary as well.

Thanks for this recommendation. This translation just showed up in the mail this week. It is excellent!

Thanks for this recommendation. This translation just showed up in the mail this week. It is excellent!

Ooh! Lucky you! :)

I hope to get that copy and most of Master Hua's other books as well. His 9 volume translation and commentary set on the Shurangama Sutra / Mantra is amazing. Can only dream of how awesome his 10 volume translation/commentary on the Lotus Sutra must be as well. :wub:

Ooh! Lucky you! :)

I hope to get that copy and most of Master Hua's other books as well. His 9 volume translation and commentary set on the Shurangama Sutra / Mantra is amazing. Can only dream of how awesome his 10 volume translation/commentary on the Lotus Sutra must be as well. :wub:

I think that would be well worth it.

The key phrase from the platform sutra elsewhere translated as:

"one should give rise to a mind that abides nowhere"

Master Hua translates mainly as:

"To produce that thought that is nowhere supported"

That seems really significant to me and worthy of serious contemplation.

Thought you might find that as helpful I did if you hadn't heard it that way before.