Tom Lin

Vegetarianism

So i recently decided to go vegetarian and was just looking for advice or experience from people who have been or are still on a vegetarian diet.

I decided to go veggie because of environmental and spiritual reasons. I've been eating relatively healthy, plenty of greens and daily oranges. Beans, greens, tofu, cereal.

To the ones who have been long time vegetarian...

What diets have worked best for you?

Also

I am a little worried about the long term effects of it. My research online has told me that people have succeeded but there also people who experience negative repercussions because of it. They cite that they feel less energy (peacefulness?) and things such as weakness or maybe even forgetfulness.

So as a question coming from a 20 year old male....what is a correct way of going about this and what should i expect?

So i recently decided to go vegetarian and was just looking for advice or experience from people who have been or are still on a vegetarian diet.

I decided to go veggie because of environmental and spiritual reasons. I've been eating relatively healthy, plenty of greens and daily oranges. Beans, greens, tofu, cereal.

To the ones who have been long time vegetarian...

What diets have worked best for you?

Also

I am a little worried about the long term effects of it. My research online has told me that people have succeeded but there also people who experience negative repercussions because of it. They cite that they feel less energy (peacefulness?) and things such as weakness or maybe even forgetfulness.

So as a question coming from a 20 year old male....what is a correct way of going about this and what should i expect?

You shouldn't have any problems - you might even feel better.

Supplement with B12

Eat as much organic as you can - this goes for everyone

Stay away from junk food especially sugar and salt

Check out this website drfuhrman.com

I have been a vegetarian for over 40 years and am in pretty good shape.

You can also do a google for vegetarian athletes

Edited by mYTHmAKER

I still eat meat on occasion but not much even then. The thing is to make sure you get complete proteins which simply requires mixing 2 of either grains, legumes, or seeds and nut. You don't have to mix them in the same meal, but it helps to do so to up your protein. Also, 3 cups of soy milk is easily one serving of protein.

Pumpkin seeds have about the double the protein than all other seeds and nuts and go very well in stir frys and almost anything. Add peanuts and sunflower seeds and cashews to your meals.

Also keep some nutritional yeast in a shaker and put some on meals once in a while to get B12.

Snack on seeds or nuts instead of chips etc.

Eggs can be used for stir frys too with curry.

That's been doing it for me.

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness

Shouldn't have to supplement with B12 if your eating eggs.

Quinoa is also a great add in to any diet especially a vegetarian one.

Make sure your getting your omega 3's (flaxseed, fish oil)

If your eating beans looking into sprouting them, tons of benefit there.

• Like 1

Congratulations on your choice !

I was vegetarian for 20 years, and then went vegan. It was the best thing I ever did. Its been almost thirty years since I ate meat, and I can't imagine how it must feel to eat flesh.

As long as you eat a wide and varied diet of quality food, you'll be healthier than any meat eater.

I was a full time athlete, training over five hours a day, and I had far more energy and 'good health' with virtually no illness, not even colds. My recovery from intense training improved significantly.

If you want diet advice, look on;

www.veganfitness.org.

I never needed to supplement protein, even when in full training. A varied diet will answer all your requirements.

www.greatveganathletes.com

will give you a good idea of what is achievable on a vegan diet. A vegetarian diet is easy !

Find a Doctor who is a vegetarian as he/she will not push you into eating dead bodies.

That made me giggle, becouse when I ended up at emergency once doctor told that my problems could be much worstend becouse I am much to much protein deficiant (being raw vegan at the time).

So he insited on blood tests being done, and of course everything was fine - clear blood test.

Been vegeterian over 15 years and vegan for past 4 years , havent had any meat ever since and doing just fine. Have no deficiances due to the diet and never take any supplements either since I was I child living in a family home.

Lots of fruit and vegetables and herbs are real healers, coupeled with the healthy lifestyle.

I dont get any colds either , this is nothing but the true for many years now.

My suggestion would be as previous posters mentioned to cut down on sugar and salt.

Eventually get rid of preprocessed foods completley. They are even more loaded with chemicals and food colours and what not.Cook for yourself from scratch base ingridients(it can be done real fast once learned) or just have some fruits and veg raw, fresh juices .Eating like this is medicine.

edit to add: no tierdness or energy issues with this way of eating , quite opposite actaually. I have more energy and endurance and strenght now than when I was a teen.

Edited by suninmyeyes

*sniff* ok you guys

If you ever come over, I'll give you some chicken

just don't staaaaaaaaaaaarve

Okay, thank you for all the responses! They are quite re-assuring ...=]

I also heard that vegetarians get cold easier, how true is this?

And how many meals do you guys have a day?

Edited by Tom Lin

Shouldn't have to supplement with B12 if your eating eggs.

Quinoa is also a great add in to any diet especially a vegetarian one.

Make sure your getting your omega 3's (flaxseed, fish oil)

If your eating beans looking into sprouting them, tons of benefit there.

Fish oil is not vegetarian

Dr Fuhrman has a DHA Purity made from algae oil

You should do blood work once a year or two to check your B12 levels and for any other defficiencies

I used to eat 3 meals.

Now i eat 2 - tea when i wake up - first meal is about 2 pm - second varies between 6 and 8pm

If you get cold qigong can help

Not much truth to it in my eyes. Body temperature depends largely on metabolism, although I'm sure can be effected by diet, exercise is generally considered the main contributor.

Women generally run colder than men, and most vegetarians tend to be female - perhaps this is how this information was spread?

About 98% of my diet is vegetarian - have meat once a week at most. Run hot most of the time :) Happier and healthier too...

Edited by .broken.

Fish oil is not vegetarian

Dr Fuhrman has a DHA Purity made from algae oil

Whoops my mistake! Thanks for keeping me on my toes mYThmaker; probably the only part of my diet where I sway from the vegetarian lifestyle.

Total nonsense ! I don't think thats related to diet. Its mostly metabolism and hormones.

I rarely feel the cold, before I gave up flesh, after I went vegetarian, or after I went vegan.

I eat three meals a day, and snack if I am hungry.

Total nonsense ! I don't think thats related to diet. Its mostly metabolism and hormones.

I rarely feel the cold, before I gave up flesh, after I went vegetarian, or after I went vegan.

I eat three meals a day, and snack if I am hungry.

Actually some people do feel the cold more when they become vegetarians.

Could be they are not doing something right

1 meal a day (I like to get it in while the suns still up); snack on water or tea before and after. Never felt better!

Definitely didn't just hop on the 1 meal a day plan though; gradually took some time to get there, adjusting along the way.

Edited by don_vedo
  • Like 1

Actually some people do feel the cold more when they become vegetarians.

Could be they are not doing something right

Well, I have never experienced it, or heard of it before. But I guess its possible.

Doesn't make sense though, as being vegetarian is very easy. Effectively, you are just cutting out three or four foodstuffs, for the average eater. Beef, chicken pork and lamb. Thats more or less it. And much of the meat most people eat is processed rubbish, with very little nutritional value. So effectively, most people who go vegetarian should actually be getting more, not less nutritional value.

But obviously, if someone has a terrible diet, eating processed meats and general rubbish, and then cuts out the meat, but makes no effort to eat well, they will encounter problems. But thats true whether they eat the meat, or don't eat the meat.

The China Study, is a very interesting and authoritative read for anyone interested in the effects animal proteins have on the body. And would probably send most people vegan straightaway. Its quite frightening.

But personally, I'd have thought the compassionate viewpoint in turning vegetarian/vegan was more important than any health benefits ?

Hmmmm i do have veganism in my mind for the future if vegetarianism goes well..how different is it being vegan then vegetarian, seems pretty drastic as well.

What would i need to replace food items such as milk and eggs with if i were to go vegan?

Edited by Tom Lin

Hmmmm i do have veganism in my mind for the future if vegetarianism goes well..how different is it being vegan then vegetarian, seems pretty drastic as well.

What would i need to replace food items such as milk and eggs with if i were to go vegan?

I always thought being vegan would be too difficult. I found being vegetarian very easy. All you have to do is avoid eating meat. Simple. But with veganism, you have to watch out for the milk and egg hidden away in foodstuffs. Having said that, it only takes a few weeks to get used to it, and I quickly realised it was the best thing I had ever done. I was kicking myself for not doing it sooner. Its something I'll always feel regret about, that I wasted so much time.

Its not actually drastic at all. Its really simple. Just requires more thought, but that illuminated to me that we should all be conscious of what we put into our body. We should be AWARE of what we eat. And I am, because I think about it, to ensure its vegan. We should do everything with awareness, but eating is something people just do......without conscious awareness, and I think that shift makes a difference.

Also, that mindset of 'replacing' milk and eggs will change very quickly. Thats the old mind thinking. You'll realise you don't need to replace them. The only place I would have milk is in tea. But I drink green tea, or yerba matte, or various other teas, none of which require milk. Eggs ? Well, why replace them ? Just don't have them. There is a world of food out there, but in a month, you probably only eat thirty different foodstuffs, yet there are thousands available. You'll stop looking for the substitutes, and realise vegan food stands on its own. Its tastier and healthier, and doesn't need propping up.

You'll find your tastebuds change too. There is a world of flavour out there, but its masked but saturated fats and animal proteins. Food will become far more interesting and involving.

And athletically, it made a massive difference to me. And all the other vegan athletes I know say the same thing. I haven't even had a cold for five years.

Maybe veganism suits me especially well ? I have no idea. But I know I'll never go back to eating meat or dairy. I like how I feel. Light, energised and healthy.

Again, if you need comprehensive advice, the place to look is;

www.veganfitness.net.

• Like 1

JZ, I remember frequenting a Seventh Day Adventist restaurant when I was veggie and, on occasion, vegan. It was a great feeling to go in to a restaurant and know that you can eat every single thing in the place. Especially the cakes, lasagna, breakfast foods. Some dishes were only ok tasting, but much of it was good. They also had the freshest salad bar in the locale. Yum! :D

And the staff/cooks were all very slim, energetic & positive.

Sounds great !

I know eating out can be an issue, but you soon work out where is good, and where is bad. Here in England, it can swing from impossible, to spoilt for choice. There are amazing vegan restaurants in the USA, Green in Scottsdale AZ springs to mind. Always packed because the food is so good, even to non vegans. But I know of great vegan restaurants in London, Paris, Madrid, Berlin.........its always worth the search.

I love food. But if I ever went back to eating meat, I'd feel I was missing out on something so good !

That won't happen though, as my primary motivation was compassion, rather than health. That was just a bonus.

"I eat to nurture my compassion, not my greed"

Whenever I see this thread I keep thinking of eating more meaaaaaaat

Juvenile response

My turn:

Whenever I see this thread I keep thinking of eating more meaaaaaaat

K, hold on, i'll unzip my pants.

Erhm... im not helping (unless we all laugh, laughter is the best medicine)

Edited by Hot Nirvana Judo Trend

My turn:

K, hold on, i'll unzip my pants.

Erhm... im not helping (unless we all laugh, laughter is the best medicine)

Not helping......but quite funny !

:D :D :D