DalTheJigsaw123

Yoga Is A Sex Cult!

The same NYT author who wrote this also wrote the "How Yoga can Wreck your Body" article a few months ago, and now has recently released a book on that topic. He is probably trying to drum up attention to sell more copies of his book, since this kind of thing has been going on since the 1970s or before. (Well, actually ever since hatha yoga was first inroduced to America in the early 1900s. There was book on this topic called "The Great Oom" published last year that talked about some of these early scandals).

I thought that this article was a pretty good response:

Please Join My Tantric Yoga Sex Cult

John Friend: he wanted to be "more than friends" lol! Whenever I read anything about his style of yoga, they would always mention that it was "heart opening." I guess that he was opening more than hearts...

Edited by Dainin

And I find myself asking, why the <bleep> does anyone care? He was an adult, I'm assuming the women were adults. Is there some law that says rich and powerful men can't use their status to lure naive women into having sex with them? If there was another 1% of the population would be in jail now.

Aaron

Any good resources to back up your claim?

Protip: anytime anyone says something about the Council of Nicea, it is probably wrong.

The doctrine of reincarnation was officially condemned by Emperor Justinian some 200 years after the Council of Nicea. It was done against the wishes of the Pope, who Justinian had deposed and imprisoned.

There were a plurality of views among Christians on the nature of the soul and the afterlife until an orthodox position was defined and enforced by imperial power. Some of these may have included a belief in reincarnation. But there a lot of things you can believe or not believe about reincarnation. I doubt that any early Christian believed that they were an animal in a previous life, even if they believed in reincarnation.

Protip: anytime anyone says something about the Council of Nicea, it is probably wrong.

The doctrine of reincarnation was officially condemned by Emperor Justinian some 200 years after the Council of Nicea. It was done against the wishes of the Pope, who Justinian had deposed and imprisoned.

There were a plurality of views among Christians on the nature of the soul and the afterlife until an orthodox position was defined and enforced by imperial power. Some of these may have included a belief in reincarnation. But there a lot of things you can believe or not believe about reincarnation. I doubt that any early Christian believed that they were an animal in a previous life, even if they believed in reincarnation.

So we are in agreement that at one time Christians did believe in reincarnation which was my point.

Another example of beliefs changing and not being in accord with truth - whatever that is.

What is a Christian, or a Hindu, Buddhist, Taoist, Muslim, Pagan, Atheist, Agnostic, etc...? Millions say this and that, but such are all just vehicles.

• Like 4

What is a Christian, or a Hindu, Buddhist, Taoist, Muslim, Pagan, Atheist, Agnostic, etc...? Millions say this and that, but such are all just vehicles.

... and yogic sex is like a really fucking good carwash :D erhm... :lol: nevermind me ;)

And I find myself asking, why the <bleep> does anyone care? He was an adult, I'm assuming the women were adults. Is there some law that says rich and powerful men can't use their status to lure naive women into having sex with them? If there was another 1% of the population would be in jail now.

Aaron

I guess people care becouse it obviously is not in accordance with yogic teaching plus naive man and women are in need of support and not in need of the abuse of their naivety.

Human relations should be handeled with utmost care for individual and social wellbeing. It brings satisfaction and makes life on earth a better place.

Just had to answer you this as I am suprised by what appeared to me as misplaced nonchalance.

• Like 3

This is a fantastic post from sun and it's painful that it should even have to be said.

Twinner you said "He was an adult, I'm assuming the women were adults." this is so regularly produced as a disclaimer statement and it essentially means "paralyse your heart centre and shen NOW".

No. The point is that we only hear part of the story. Do we demonize a rock star for having sex with a groupy? No. So why are we stigmatizing and demonizing this man because he had sex with one of his groupies? The problem is that we have determined that sex between two adults is sinful and wrong and should only exist under certain conditions, when in fact there was nothing wrong or right about it, except for what the people involved decided. Now if he forced himself upon them, that's awful and something should be done about it, but if there was no force and it was consensual, and the only harm that occurred came when one side didn't receive as much attention as they wanted to, then who is at fault here?

If you ask me, I'm surprised that people don't expect something like this to happen. I mean when you're working closely with anyone there is always the chance that you'll become involved sexually. The notion that this is wrong or shouldn't occur is simply bizarre to me. Why exactly is it wrong? Who is exactly harmed by it and also, when does that harm occur?

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm the first to condemn rape and violence, but in the same way I'll stand up for those who haven't done anything wrong, other than fail to meet the social mores of society.

Aaron

• Like 1

That article has a ridiculous amount of spin and assumptions.

SEX IS BAD, TANTRA IS A CULT, HATHA IS FROM TANTRA SO IT MUST BE A CULT, CULTS ARE BAD.

Then he backs it up with examples of other 'gurus' that are bad.

I imagine we should be appalled.

I'm appalled that nytimes allowed this hack to write.

John

• Like 3

No. The point is that we only hear part of the story. Do we demonize a rock star for having sex with a groupy? No. So why are we stigmatizing and demonizing this man because he had sex with one of his groupies? The problem is that we have determined that sex between two adults is sinful and wrong and should only exist under certain conditions, when in fact there was nothing wrong or right about it, except for what the people involved decided. Now if he forced himself upon them, that's awful and something should be done about it, but if there was no force and it was consensual, and the only harm that occurred came when one side didn't receive as much attention as they wanted to, then who is at fault here?

If you ask me, I'm surprised that people don't expect something like this to happen. I mean when you're working closely with anyone there is always the chance that you'll become involved sexually. The notion that this is wrong or shouldn't occur is simply bizarre to me. Why exactly is it wrong? Who is exactly harmed by it and also, when does that harm occur?

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm the first to condemn rape and violence, but in the same way I'll stand up for those who haven't done anything wrong, other than fail to meet the social mores of society.

Aaron

Bang! Bang! Bang!

Sometimes the messenger needs to be shot :)

He didn't just have sex with one of his groupies

It was not an isolated case.

• Like 1

I was going to steer clear of this one altogether but...

I have to say: while his first post may have been a little harsh, i'm still with Twinner on this one.

I'm the first to condemn rape and violence, but in the same way I'll stand up for those who haven't done anything wrong, other than fail to meet the social mores of society.

I mean we are talking about Tantra right? I've always known Tantra to offer a world-embracing vision of the whole of reality as the self-expression of a single, free and joyous Divine Consciousness. Point being that nothing exists that is not Divine; one is subject to use whatever means necessary to reach out and embrace God.

I see the counter arguments coming because of the complete breach in social mores. The path wasn't meant to be all "fluffy bunny;" it's about breaking down those walls which have been built so high, and using whatever means necessary to seek communion with the divine. That being said, sex is one of those things that seems to shake many people to there core.

I guess I too just don't see what the big deal is? If it was one woman or many, what's the matter? Consensual sex is consensual sex, and really who is anyone but John Friend to say that it was taking advantage.

Edited by don_vedo

Aaron

The problem isn't the act of sex itself...but the fact that the teacher was preaching about being celibate and telling his students they should do the same when he was actually involved with a number of his students.

He was talking the talk but not walking the walk. He didn't have to preach about being celibate or be celibate but he did so and therefore there is a level of responsibility on his end to be consistent with his own teachings.

-My 2 cents, Peace

• Like 2