Sign in to follow this  
Edward M

What do you think of this?

Peace

Ed

I've seen this before, but I didn't get as far last time because I saw they were a cult member of Desteni. I made it to 1:48 this time. I'm not going to let their propaganda brainwash me.

I stopped after she started talking about the 5 year old girl getting her leg blown off and that the 5 old should not surrender to what is. Worst advice you can give someone. That shows me she don't know what she's talking about, she just wants to say what sounds good.

No matter what seemingly deadly situation you find yourself in you should surrender.

You go blind...surrender

You're paralyzed...surrender

You lose a friend...surrender

You have a chronic illness...surrender

Your leg gets blown off...surrender. If you can't grow a new one, then hating the situation is only creating suffering.

If you can't change what is, then you are only creating suffering for yourself. To hate the situation you find yourself in is ludicrous when you can't change it. Might as well accept and surrender. Surrendering is good for all situations. Good for all ages.

In my opinion, the video is bullshit and that's because in my experience the power of surrender is a very potent practice for anyone. To discourage surrender is telling someone to suffer. It can make you have good days for months weeks straight.

• Like 1

Huh? Huh? Cult?

Do they have a secret HQ? What evil things do they do? Is there honor in defeating them?

ah wait that's not the topic

Thanks for responses guys,

I agree, it is bullshit... for a start before you can change anything about the world you live in you have to be able to see it for what it is right here right now.

And yep if you have misfortune accept it, otherwise you aint really here..

All the radical spiritual dudes who made changes did so from a state of surrender.

Oh and also she says there is no point in stopping thoughts.. well who the heck teaches stopping thoughts?? no one we observe them and see them for what they are.

Cheers,

Ed

Thanks for responses guys,

I agree, it is bullshit... for a start before you can change anything about the world you live in you have to be able to see it for what it is right here right now.

And yep if you have misfortune accept it, otherwise you aint really here..

All the radical spiritual dudes who made changes did so from a state of surrender.

Oh and also she says there is no point in stopping thoughts.. well who the heck teaches stopping thoughts?? no one we observe them and see them for what they are.

Cheers,

Ed

I totally agree and also think that she has a nice rack.

I think she's entitled to her opinion and that she's right to a degree. I've suffered from a toothache for the last week, it was so bad that all I could do at times was go to work come home and go to bed. I didn't eat for two days because it was too painful to chew. I'm wondering if the answer to this suffering is to surrender, or perhaps the more practical solution is to take painkillers and wait for it to pass?

I did do some self-hypnosis and breathing exercises to minimize the pain, but again, surrendering is a silly answer and I'm glad other people are calling out Tolle on his self-professed enlightenment. I mean if Tolle can be enlightened, why can't Jerry Falwell or anyone else who gives you a feel good message with no practical application?

Aaron

edit- As a side note, I saw the Ruthless Truth folks replying to her blog, so the whole cult thing could be there too, but even cults sometimes have good ideas.

Edited by Twinner
  • Like 1

I don't know anything about that organization but I didn't see anything in the video that is too out there. I think she is just saying it's a bit pathological to assume an intervention meant to remedy suffering on in individual level is going to be efficacious at a macrosystems level, like thinking having Asprin is going to help you contest an unfair parking ticket. A bit like Maslow's hierarchy: self actualization isn't particularly relevant if you're challenges are more along the lines of being physically displaced from your homeland or being oppressively denied clean water or economic justice.

Edited by SeriesOfTubes

I'm wondering if the answer to this suffering is to surrender, or perhaps the more practical solution is to take painkillers and wait for it to pass?

What you just said right there is surrendering. Waiting for it to pass is surrendering. It's not a magic pill that is going to take anything way. You'll still feel pain, but you accept that it is there. You won't be wishing for a different circumstance which leads to suffering.

You do what you can(Like taking painkillers), but you ultimately can't do anything and have to accept whatever comes. Even if you don't accept it, it is still going to be there. It doesn't mean that you are not going to feel the sensation of pain though.

Surrendering is acknowledging the fact that you are completely and utterly fucking screwed to whatever circumstance you find yourself in. :lol: Some things you can control and some things you cannot.

Surrendering takes away the burden of having to change something.

I saw this video a while ago on pain and it is about surrender. Maybe it will help you, maybe it won't. Whatever. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rkJnFzTRIY

Kind of an odd synchronicity that he talks about dental pains in the video though.

I watched only 2 minutes in, for the same reason a InfinityTruth. I think she is more about humanism and wants that to be true on a spiritual level. If she wanted to make a point that sometimes fighting is better than acceptance and surrender, she could have chosen a better example.

Edited by de_paradise

Okay... well let me give you a heads up regarding surrendering, Alcoholics Anonymous was teaching surrendering in the 1940s, so it's not a novel idea, not even within the modern context. It seems to me that most people who have studied any philosophical or religious ideology runs across the notion of surrender.

I think the notion of surrender is erroneous, in that those who use it to denote the action of acceptance, do so to ensure that the one surrendering is supplicating to a greater power. This is indicative of a tradition bent on submission, rather than intervention or introspection.

In AA they teach it simply as, "Living life on Life's terms." The act has nothing to do with surrendering, but rather giving up those things you have no control over, in order to prevent them from causing you to suffer. However this isn't always as simple as forgetting about them, especially in the case of the girl who lost her leg and family, rather it is a process that comes once one has accepted this loss and recognized that they have no control over that loss, upon becoming aware of this they have two choices, to accept they've done everything they can and move on, or remain in the depths of that suffering. Those that remain are often not ready to move on, so remaining itself isn't an inherently wrong action, even though those witnessing it may perceive it to be painful, in fact it is required by all who experience loss. One who does not experience loss has no connection to this world, and without a connection, they cannot experience the beauty that perpetuates the feeling of loss.

This is why I have such an issue with detachment, because the notion of detachment seems to promote a desensitization from the world itself, when in fact the problem we're having in modern society is that many people are desensitizing from the experience of self, an experience intimately involved with others as well, which results in their inability to form a lasting and spiritual bond with the world around. Keep in mind spiritual bond isn't necessarily a mystical undefinable bond, but rather one that is demonstrative of one's natural inclination towards others, based on their original nature.

Anyways this is becoming much longer than I intended. Thank for the info regarding dental pain. I will suffer until I stop suffering, their is no salvation from it. The trick for me is not allowing the suffering to become the sole determination of my soul's compass.

Aaron

Sign in to follow this