Cat Pillar

Kunlun in Austin

Just curious if any other bums were planning on attending the Kunlun seminar in Austin at the end of March. I'm planning on going, would be cool to meet up.

I'll be attending Fri, Sat!

Used to live in Austin back in 06'

Juice bar at Whole foods & Waterloo Records

Who knows may run into Roky Erickson

I'll be attending Fri, Sat!

Used to live in Austin back in 06'

Juice bar at Whole foods & Waterloo Records

Who knows may run into Roky Erickson

Awesome! I'm gonna try to make it Friday too, it all depends on my ride situation. Fortunately Houston is a reasonable driving distance away, just gotta find someone I can sucker into taking me.

Yeah, I don't have a car...

Austin is cool, played a number of shows there a few years ago. Red 7 is where I usually played. Sixth street gets crazy! Ah, the days of HOEX Pizza (known to us as Heavy Metal Pizza) and wild shows.

• Like 3

Man, I'm glad I signed up when I did! Paid my fee a few days ago, and there were 12 slots open. Checked today, and only 5 left for the Austin seminar!

Glad to see the interest is so strong here in TX! The San Francisco one looks like it still has 20 spaces left...kinda surprising!

Man, I'm glad I signed up when I did! Paid my fee a few days ago, and there were 12 slots open. Checked today, and only 5 left for the Austin seminar!

Glad to see the interest is so strong here in TX! The San Francisco one looks like it still has 20 spaces left...kinda surprising!

I live in Austin now, and it is NOT like the rest of Texas at all lol. I love it here :-)

I live in Austin now, and it is NOT like the rest of Texas at all lol. I love it here :-)

Yeah, Austin is a pretty cool city! Interested in going to the free Kunlun lecture Friday, March 30th?

I waited too long to book my hotel. :( Now it's going to cost more for my hotel than for the seminar! This is turning out to be quite the expensive trip. Wouldn't be so bad if I had a car/driver's license.

Ironically, I'm making out like a bandit on travel expenses. Round trip Greyhound is only costing me $20, hahaha!

Oh well...opportunity to learn Ancient Chinese Secrets? Priceless.

Yeah, Austin is a pretty cool city! Interested in going to the free Kunlun lecture Friday, March 30th?

I waited too long to book my hotel. :( Now it's going to cost more for my hotel than for the seminar! This is turning out to be quite the expensive trip. Wouldn't be so bad if I had a car/driver's license.

Ironically, I'm making out like a bandit on travel expenses. Round trip Greyhound is only costing me $20, hahaha!

Oh well...opportunity to learn Ancient Chinese Secrets? Priceless.

The Greyhound station is in north Austin,...quite a distance from the "cool" stuff. Up until a few weeks ago I lived in the Hyde Park neighborhood,...before that in 78704.

Yes,...Austin is a Hipster oasis,...drug/alcohol hip,...hippy/dead head hip,...hippy hollow nudist hip,...very little spirituality per capita however,...but "cool" for those who like that scene. Surprised the above event is even being held there. There is a nice metaphyisical book store on South Lamar,...and Whole Foods flagship store is worth the free admission.

Another fallacy about Austin is that it's an Art Place,...one can find better Art in Cody, Wyoming. Austin is a Music Place though,...probably more than a 100 live venues per night. It's also a healthy food place,...considering you're in Texas. The traffic is insane however, on par with places like Chicago,..except that Austin has more CO2 burning gas and diesel guzzlers.

The best Texas city for the Arts (no, definitely not Houston) is San Antonio,...the SAMA is awesome, and likewise the McNay. SA also has three Art Districts,...the Blue Star (excellent for locals), the Villita arts district, and North St Mary's Arts area, near the gay district. Austin doesn't have a gay district,...which is telling. LGBT's generally bring a sense of color to a town.

Although highly Catholic, SA also has many spiritual traditions,..and pagan, humanistic circles. SA has 4 times more people, but is 10 times easier to get around.

I facilitated a Freethought Buddhist Meetup in Austin,...spent hundreds in advertizing,...ran display ads for three months in publications like Austin All-Natural,...hardly any interest.

Do try to stop by the Buddhist Temple on the 600 E block of 45th (austin) after dusk,...it's beautiful.

If I was still there you could have stayed at my place. I now live in Tesuque, NM,...where all of a sudden, my body is again getting more oxygen than carbon dioxide.

Oh,...by the way,...for all who visit Austin, bring ear plugs,...loud traffic dominates the city.

V

Edited by Vmarco
  • Like 1

Thanks for the headsup about the Greyhound station, Vmarco! Guess I can add some substantial cab fare to my travel expenses, since the seminar is being held at the Hilton near 6th street.

The music scene is what I like about Austin, although lately I've heard it's been getting harder and harder for local/smaller bands to book shows there. I've experienced the traffic there, and it IS absolutely ghastly.

I agree with you about San Antonio...not only is their art scene good, they also have a strong music scene too. Not to mention it's a very fun/pretty city to walk around. Only been there once to play a show, but I had fun walking around downtown and got to visit the Alamo.

I live in Houston, and the art/music scene here is practically dead. I'm really surprised that Austin doesn't have some kind of gay district though, even Houston has at least that. Austin is usually thought of as the most liberal city in Texas.

I'm just happy that Max is coming to Texas, to a city that I can (relatively) easily get too. Been looking for a teacher for awhile, and Texas is pretty dry when it comes to advanced practitioners. :P

Never been to a Buddhist temple before, I'll have to see if I can fit in a visit!

I agree with you about San Antonio...not only is their art scene good, they also have a strong music scene too. Not to mention it's a very fun/pretty city to walk around. Only been there once to play a show, but I had fun walking around downtown and got to visit the Alamo.

Oh how I wish it was there. One of my favorite cities...eating at the Lone Star Cafe while overlooking the riverwalk...so enjoyable!

You are lucky to be going to this one in Austin...Kunlun is an amazing path.

Oh how I wish it was there. One of my favorite cities...eating at the Lone Star Cafe while overlooking the riverwalk...so enjoyable!

You are lucky to be going to this one in Austin...Kunlun is an amazing path.

I remember the riverwalk from my trip to San Antonio, it was really cool! It really is a great city...if I didn't have so many good friends in Houston, I'd consider applying at Rackspace and relocating there.

I am very happy and grateful to be attending the seminar! An opportunity like this is one I just couldn't ignore...I've been wanting to start on a path of some kind for so long, and to have a teacher come practically into my back yard is serendipitous, especially since Max is one of the teachers I'm most interested in learning from.

Have you practiced Kunlun, Scotty?

I hope you guys have an awesome experience!

I will train with Kan San in Tokyo next month. Really looking forward to that.

Tell Max I said Hi! :)

• Like 1

The two miles of original riverwalk in downtown SA is certainly a worthwhile visit,...but keep in mind for future visits, that the Paseo del Rio is about 13 miles,...from Brackenridge Park in the north (think Japanese gardens), going south along the SAMA, into the downtown hotel/restuarant district, and onward to the Blue Star Art District. Austin does have the Town Lake trail,...largely overcrowded with bikes and dogs.

Back to Austin,...That Buddhist temple (605 45th Street) is probably too far (about 40 blocks north of 6th St.) and is something, in my opinion, must be seen in the early evening (after sunset). One does not need to go inside,...but if you do, during a talk, they have tons of free food. The Tibetan architecture and gold, everywhere gold, seen through the 3-sides of glass walls is a rush for the senses.

The Greyhound is around 62nd, or 56 blocks north of 6th Street.

Keep in mind, there are 3 music districts north of the river,...East 6th, where the Hilton is,...West 6th, past Guadalupe, and the music district around 3rd, inbetween the other two.

The Whole Foods flag-store is at 6th and Lamar. South of the river along South Congress and thereabouts, is another music district,...far too many music venues in the city to see even in a month.

Austin loves constant diversions, distractions, etc. Austin reminds me of my mother,..always with the TV on,...too fearful of ever stilling her mind. My favorite music venue was at Central Market in North Austin,...mostly because I ate there at least once a week. The Buffet Palace on West Gate is the best Asian Buffet of the 48 States I've been to. Austin has many exceptional restuarants,...Madame Mame's was another favorite, and fairly inexpensive.

• Like 1

I hope you guys have an awesome experience!

I will train with Kan San in Tokyo next month. Really looking forward to that.

Tell Max I said Hi! :)

I said "Hi" to Max for ya! :)

It was a pretty awesome experience. No direct energy transmissions anymore, just a teaching of the practice.

Max is a really cool guy though, and the seminar was a lot of fun! A lot of nice people there...even ran into someone I knew from somewhere else at the free lecture Friday night...he didn't go to the seminar, though.

I think I got Max's attention somehow...he kept looking at me as he was talking and explaining things. I thought it might have been my imagination at first, until two other students commented on it later to me. o.O

In any case, really looking forward to practicing and seeing what happens. You might already be offline Cameron, but safe journeys and enjoy your time in Tokyo with Kan!

Hope I can meet him some day too. :)

Very nice :)

I won't post anymore but will check my pm's from time to time if you want to let me know how you are doing.

Very nice :)

I won't post anymore but will check my pm's from time to time if you want to let me know how you are doing.

Sounds good! I'd definitely like to keep in touch. :)