How do I find answers and learn to follow my intuition?

I often find myself at a crossroad between choices.

Dr. Silvia Hartmann has developed a step by step approach to communicating with the []

despite the somewhat cheesy name of her book, I bought it and then spent some more for private tutoring. This was many moons ago, before Qigong. I should really re-visit her work...the relaxed states makes it work.

http://silviahartmann.com/books-genius-symbols.php

How do I find answers and learn to follow my intuition? I often find myself at a crossroad between choices.

The method I use to clear energetic weaknesses (Yuen Method) uses intuition. It's based on learning how to feel strong and weak.

For example, when I tune into your energy what I feel is a weakness around thinking. Your thinking interferes with your perception and your feeling. You need more separation between your thinking and your feeling. You also need that quickness of perception.

When faced with a choice you want to rely on your feeling of strong and weak, not your thinking. You have to get your thinking and emotions out of the way, or there's no neutrality.

So I'm saying it's possible to develop your insight. Insight is a triad of feeling, perception, and intuition. Insight is what gives us answers.

• Like 2

I am not sure that talking about the brain as limited entirely to the head is correct...

The brain is an interface with the whole body.

Sure, the left brain and its logic are what people would describe as 'in your head' but the right brain governs feelings, which Include the Heart...

Also I am not trying to reduce mystical reality to brain function either.

That massive experience of Love and the Numinous that some call 'God' for want of a better word, of course has to be processed by the brain/body for it to register in our brain/body...

The Ancients had the old formula, As above/so below, as below/so above.

Higher function/experience will always trigger physiological responses, and as we learn to be able to trigger those same responses ourselves, it will give us access to the Higher functions/experiences.

This in no way 'reduces' mystical experience to Right brain activity.

How could it? mystical experience leads out side the body and its [current known] capacities for Information gathering. You get to Know [gnow for Vmarco] things that you couldn't possible have access to by any Normal route...

Edited by Seth Ananda

I have found that learning a devination system of some sort, Tarot, reading tea leaves, etc is making a conscious effort to flex those intuition muscles. Also creative fiction writing. These are skills that take time, and require commitment, not just juvenile dabbling.

• Like 2

How do I find answers and learn to follow my intuition? I often find myself at a crossroad between choices.

Intuition is that little voice in your head that tells you to do something or that something is going to happen but you ignore it either because you didnt hear it or it seems illogical. I struggle with this all the time but in many cases i ignore it (to my own disadvantage)

To follow your intuition ou have to have faith in it...that can only come with experience. Intuition happens when we dont try very hard...knowledge without effort...almost like magic :)

I'm not sure if perhaps you are thinking that there is a distinction / seperation between the right brain and the higher self access/ heart activation. my reading suggests not. your idea of the head being just the head is lacking understanding of the right brain capacity, actually. nothing is 'just' what it is. And the right brain isnt sitting in splendid isolation from the subtle body. Experiments involving right brain stimulation in lab conditions consistently create sensations of the presence of an invisible often numinous presence in the room, which is widely interpreted as God, by those with that propensity. Love and heart activation follow on from such experiences. So much so that it is now being posited that God is a right brain phenomenon and nothing else. Always there will be reductionist, black and white extrapolations, eh.

Gurdjieff's techniques are one way of doing things, yes. He seems to appeal to males more than females. I wonder why that is.

Actually, during Gurdjieff's life, that Work appealled more to females than male. Of course, males are quite attracted to PD Ouspensky, who was all cerebral, and didn't understand what Gurdjieff was pointing to. Even Frank Lloyd Wright's wife was a student of Gurdjieff, although Frank was not.

Lao Tzu said, "Intellectual knowledge exists in and of the brain. Because the brain is part of the body, which must one day expire, this collection of facts, however large and impressive, will expire as well" Hua Hu Ching, thirty-five.

Edited by Vmarco
  • Like 1

Intuition is that little voice in your head that tells you to do something or that something is going to happen but you ignore it either because you didnt hear it or it seems illogical. I struggle with this all the time but in many cases i ignore it (to my own disadvantage)

To follow your intuition ou have to have faith in it...that can only come with experience. Intuition happens when we dont try very hard...knowledge without effort...almost like magic :)

For me, intuition is never a voice in the head. Thus, whenever I hear a voice in the head, it is clearly not intuition. For me, intuition is also void of all faith and conditions, especially those which arise through experience. Experience born of belief can only be experienced through the condition of that belief,...thus is not Direct Experience.

Lao Tzu said, "the only way to understand [the Tao] is to directly experience it."

There is no direct experience through faith, belief, or the 6 senses.

V

Edited by Vmarco

For me, intuition is a good illustration of the difference between belief and faith.

Belief is aligning with a particular explanation, expectation, or authority.

Faith is a willingness to let all of that go and open to what remains.

Intuition means having faith in that sensitivity.

• Like 4

Don't know what to add since I'm not sure how I improved my intuition

But have I convinced everyone on the site to do the horse stance yet? :lol:

For me, intuition is never a voice in the head. Thus, whenever I hear a voice in the head, it is clearly not intuition. For me, intuition is also void of all faith and conditions, especially those which arise through experience. Experience born of belief can only be experienced through the condition of that belief,...thus is not Direct Experience.

Lao Tzu said, "the only way to understand [the Tao] is to directly experience it."

There is no direct experience through faith, belief, or the 6 senses.

V

So what do you do when you return to the realm of us mere mortals o amitabha?

;)

http://medhajournal.com/myblog/169-the-silent-voice-within.html

This is an old article i had written a while back on intuition...

Edited by dwai

Quite so. And yet, not on point. As you know, we were not referring to the aspect of the brain which functions as a receptacle for facts.

Are you suggesting tha intellectual knowledge only arises from one hemisphere of the brain, and that the other half is somehow sacred?

Lao Tzu said, "there is nothing more futile and frustrating than relying on the mind. To arrive at the unshakable, you must befriend the Tao.

He didn't say only one hemisphere is futile,...he implied the complete cerebro-device.

Lao Tzu said, "Intellectual knowledge exists in and of the brain. Because the brain is part of the body, which must one day expire, this collection of facts, however large and impressive, will expire as well"

He didn't say that only one of the hemispheres will one day expire, and the other hemisphere miraculously lives forever.

dwai ignorantly writes:

So what do you do when you return to the realm of us mere mortals o amitabha?

The Hua Hu Ching suggests, "the ego is a monkey catapulting through the jungle; totally fascinated by the realm of the senses....if anyone threaten it, it actually fears for its life. Let this monkey go. Let the senses go."

Lao Tzu seems to imply that there is a choice. Those who wish to be "mere mortals" as you say, that is, "All through the night in the cold the monkey squats scheming how to capture the moon"...or those who befriend the Tao.

Lao Tzu said, "to eliminate the vexation of the mind, it doesn't help to do something; this only reinforces the minds mechanics (monkey mind). Dissolving the mind is instead a matter of not-doing: simply avoid becoming attached to what you see and think (the 6 senses). Knowing nothing, you will be aware of everything."

Or, as VMarco says, "those who know do not gnow."

V

Actually, I have no problem associating intuition with wisdom and I contend that wisdon is gained through knowledge and experience.

But then, I am still unable to recognize any aspect of "me" that has a greater level of consciousness than my brain has so there you go.

Actually, I have no problem associating intuition with wisdom and I contend that wisdon is gained through knowledge and experience.

But then, I am still unable to recognize any aspect of "me" that has a greater level of consciousness than my brain has so there you go.

How do you know what is your brain and what is not?

How do you know what is your brain and what is not?

Fair question.

All I can go by is what science tells me. In my understanding the brain includes the entire nervous system. So yes, part of my brain can be found in my little toes. Are my little toes conscious? Well, yes, in a way.

I am with the understanding that our body, and especially our brain, rediates energy. I like to call this energy Chi.

I am also with the understanding that our brain can detect and process energy that is external from us. Yes, I know, I am getting a little spooky here (for me, at least). Is this energy part of what we call 'intuition'? I think it is but I have no way to prove it.

And what I just said above could lead to a very confusing discussion if I take it any further. (And I don't like confusion.)

I am still unable to recognize any aspect of "me" that has a greater level of consciousness than my brain has so there you go.

That's OK,...however, under such circumstances is it appropriate to call yourself a Taoist?

Lao Tzu said, "Recognize that eveything you see and think is a falsehood, an illusion, a veil over the truth." Hua Hu Ching, Forty Eight

According to Taoism, and Buddhism, there is a you that has a greater level of consciousness than one's brain,...even the ancient Greeks recognized that, calling the brain (psyche) the lower consciousness, and the Heart (thymos) the higher consciousness.

Why are you allowing the 6 senses (through the sense organs of sight, hearing, taste, touch, smell, and thought), yes, the brain is a sense organ,...obscure the consciousness of the Tao?

Lao Tzu said, "there is nothing more futile and frustrating than relying on the mind. To arrive at the unshakable, you must befriend the Tao. To do this, quiet your thinking."

Lao Tzu said, "Dualistic thinking is a sickness. Religion is a distortion. Materialism is cruel. Blind spirituality is unreal."

How can intuition arise from thinking, religion, materialism, or blind spirituality?

Like Tathagata, "the Tao doesn't come and go." Thus, Lao Tzu instructed that a superior person relates with that which neither comes nor goes.

In the 'What is Light' thread, VMarco said upon the fulcrum of Undivided Light (the Tao) is a lever (One), on which duality effects its motion (yin and yang), which brings manifestation to all things.

Likewise, Lao Tzu correctly said, "The Tao gives birth to One. One gives birth to yin and yang. Yin and yang give birth to all things."

Oneness is not the Tao. Oneness manifests simultaneously with the Many. Without Many there is no One, and without One, there is no Many. When all Many (yin and yang) are added together, it dissolves the Many, and likewise, One is dissolved. But there is the Tao.

When you let go of the consciousness' of the 6 senses,...there is the Tao.

V

Edited by Vmarco
  • Like 1

Fair question.

All I can go by is what science tells me. In my understanding the brain includes the entire nervous system. So yes, part of my brain can be found in my little toes. Are my little toes conscious? Well, yes, in a way.

I am with the understanding that our body, and especially our brain, rediates energy. I like to call this energy Chi.

I am also with the understanding that our brain can detect and process energy that is external from us. Yes, I know, I am getting a little spooky here (for me, at least). Is this energy part of what we call 'intuition'? I think it is but I have no way to prove it.

And what I just said above could lead to a very confusing discussion if I take it any further. (And I don't like confusion.)

Yes I agree that using the word "brain" conjures up ideas of "mental" processes that sit in the head whereas the whole body has a lot to contribute that often seems to get ignored or silenced or overidden by the "upper brain". Smart those Taoists with LDT, MDT and upper DT.

I suppose that according each relative and relevant 'airtime' could be a worthwhile goal. Overreliance on verbal and visual cognition- especially when the latter can be so easily mistaken, hum.

Lao Tzu said, "Recognize that eveything you see and think is a falsehood, an illusion, a veil over the truth." Hua Hu Ching, Forty Eight

That is bullshit. Lao Tzu never said that.

When you let go of the consciousness' of the 6 senses,...there is the Tao.

V

I have only five senses. Too bad for me.

Please be careful when quoting Lao Tzu. If someone says Lao Tzu said (whatever) we are already in the fourth person and way afield from what he actually said (that is with the assumption that there really was such a person).

And please don't you worry about me. I know where Tao is. It is sitting right im the middle between my "peace" and "contentment". It is in the entire rose bush, not just the flower.