Sign in to follow this  
mile83

goal: becoming one with the Tao? state permanent?

Hi, sorry, this is my last question for a while, I promise :). Hope you can help.

As I understand a goal of Taoism would be to be unified with the Tao or to become One with the Tao. Now my question is, is this state permanent or would "I" be manifested again after some time? Is enlightenment a permanent state in Taoism? or is it , as I read somewhere, an endless cycle of decay and renewal?

Sorry if I'm using wrong terminology ;)

Thank you

Edited by mile83

one thing that is seemingly contradictive, but it really isnt, is that the only permanent "thing" is the consistent state of impermanence.

Iroincally enough, knowing and embracing the impermanent can lead to longer lasting (temporary, as all thigns are) permanence.

The perception of permanent is a matter of time-observation. the earth is permanent in contrast to it's inhabitants, and the universe in contrast to the earth.

But all things within the eternal never beginning and never ending tao are in constant fluccuation and impermanence.

Becoming one with the Tao has a wide range of meanings because the REAL TAO cannot be expressed

by words.

Achieving Tao means long lasting and never ending because when you reach the Tao,

then you understand the inner order of balance inside apparent caos of creation.

When you see it, you can flow with it as the Heaven does. And flowing means never end.

Achieving Tao means to see your true face, your true nature in a place where your idea of being

does not exist.

But this is only one of the early stages in taoist cultivation according to the few practical text avaliable.

It could be approximately similar to the culmination of the four buddhist dhyanas.

From that point on, taoist cultivation have different objectives.

Hi, sorry, this is my last question for a while, I promise :). Hope you can help.

As I understand a goal of Taoism would be to be unified with the Tao or to become One with the Tao. Now my question is, is this state permanent or would "I" be manifested again after some time? Is enlightenment a permanent state in Taoism? or is it , as I read somewhere, an endless cycle of decay and renewal?

Sorry if I'm using wrong terminology ;)

Thank you

"to be unified with the Tao or to become One with the Tao."

It is simply means follow the principles of Tao and living in a Taoist way of life style.

wow, that sounds a bit complicated to me ^^, will have to think this throug a few times, but thanks to both (all three) of you for your replies

Edited by mile83

know that the tao has no definite definition, know taht it is anything and everythign and nothing at all, at any given time. reflect on "isness" rather than "definition". defining things often distracts from the very isness of the thing itself. hence the tao is best left as "tao" than describing it :lol:

Ironic, none the less, that we try to share the wonders of the tao with each otehr :lol:

There is no final fulfillment, but there is infinite progress. Even when someone has reached unity with Tao, there is still the need for progress and maintenance by way of continuing practice, virtue, service, experience, etc.. It's not "attain the Tao and go home to bed" but, "attain the Tao and enter the world now opened for you." If you get in a boat and enter the ocean, are you finished? If you paddle half way across do you stop? If you land on a new shore you'll still have lots to do...

• Like 4

I don't take "One with Tao" as meaning we are somehow and at some point NOT "One with Tao" and need to get back to "One with Tao". This makes no sense to me.

To me, it is an inner state achieved whereby we are using the full capacity of Dao in us (De is at full capacity, which is what the word means to me). I see us as always One with Tao but our batteries are not always at fully charge. The emptier we are the more De we have energized.

• Like 2

"Is enlightenment a permanent state in Taoism? or is it , as I read somewhere, an endless cycle of decay and renewal?"

That's all any of this is! If you do not see it explicitly yet then IMO you will eventually, in your own way.

Sign in to follow this