ffvii

Live Simply

What does it mean to live simply?

Now that is a loaded question, if I've ever heard one. I think the problem is that this is a question you should answer for yourself, rather than have others answer for you.

In Taoist terms it would mean, not to acquire material wealth, not to compete with others, to be frugal, and to be compassionate. Now in these modern times, in the materialistic world we live in, this ins't very easy to do. The nice thing is that most teachers, aware that most people are not willing to moderate their consumption, will be happy to approve of their lifestyles, so that the money keeps flowing. So we have "The Tao of Wall Street" and the "The Tao of Poker" which are completely contrary to the nature of Taoism, which is never striving to be first in the world.

I would say again, though, that this is something that each person should decide for themselves. Forget about what you know about simplicity (be done with knowledge) and ask yourself, "what does it mean to live simply?"

Aaron

Edited by Twinner
  • Like 1

What does it mean to live simply?

Please tell us how you live now, then we can tell you what to eliminate to have a simpler life style.

Please tell us how you live now, then we can tell you what to eliminate to have a simpler life style.

Ok so I saw this picture 5 Simple Rules to Happiness, and wondered the live simply part. as of right now, my life consists of going to school, playing games when i get home, doing a lot of homework (I'm a pretty above average student), and thats about it. i wanted to understand this because I haven't been happy lately. I got my heart broken by this girl I love, I've realized that my friends are pretty crappy, i've gotten a terrible grade, and i've just been pretty depressed, but mainly because of the girl. she's always on my mind. :(

Ok so I saw this picture 5 Simple Rules to Happiness, and wondered the live simply part. as of right now, my life consists of going to school, playing games when i get home, doing a lot of homework (I'm a pretty above average student), and thats about it. i wanted to understand this because I haven't been happy lately. I got my heart broken by this girl I love, I've realized that my friends are pretty crappy, i've gotten a terrible grade, and i've just been pretty depressed, but mainly because of the girl. she's always on my mind. :(

Well to live simply is to maintain that which is essential and happily let the inessential come and go, learning from everything in life and using this knowledge to propel forward.....

• Like 2

I got my heart broken by this girl I love, I've realized that my friends are pretty crappy, i've gotten a terrible grade, and i've just been pretty depressed, but mainly because of the girl. she's always on my mind. :(

The memory will fade once you find another girl. Then everything will be beautiful again until the next time.

It seems to me you want to know what is a simply way of life. Right now, your trouble is with a girl which you cannot get her off your mind. Here is a Taoist way of handling it which is Wu Wei. It is to "let Nature take its course". You have not mention that the girl loves you or not. It sounds like an one way street. So, let it be and let it go and let her get off your mind. The right one will come along in your way. If you two love each other, then you two will be together and only was meant to be. Indeed, don't force it. That is what it meant by "let Nature take its course".

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

Reduce the most amount of unnecessary materials and physical, mental, and intellectual energy that you produce everyday.

Love.

• Like 1

To continue looking for something may just add on to the complexity. Come to simplicity by dealing with the noise we have in our heads, or practical issues in our lives. Or come to peace by negation of the false or untruths.

• Like 1