jacklantegi

What are some good questions to get the Atheists thinking?

I find it a shame that many of my friends are hardcore atheists and are hell-bent on disproving anything that has to do with religion.

The abrahamic religions, especially Christianity has a lot to do with this, as their method of indoctrinating and inducing fear and order creates the impression that "God" is a big bearded guy up in the sky judging your every action.

And as such, most equate spirituality with religion very directly, and never take the time to ponder the deeper metaphysical questions because "the vast mystery of the universe is all there is", and that very well could be.

So my question to you fellow bums is, what are some questions you would like to ask atheists to get them reflecting on their spiritual life? I don't mean starting a debate about whether God exists, but maybe questioning the "fact" that the universe is a blind, unintelligent evolutionary system and we are the byproduct of its randomness... which is a real put down, since it creates the impression that we are just bones in a bag of skin and stripped of our divinity.

Anyway... I'm interested in what you bums have to say. :)

You will likely have to find a common ground to relate too. I can talk to this guy about spirituality, he is like anti-religious, and generally judgmental about these sorts of things. We have been through many of the same events through our life, crazy life experiences together, so I may be the only person he will ever meet the rest of his life to explain it to him. This is because he has accepted me as a friend, even before I had any realizations.

(So he can see first hand that I have changed for the better)

If you wanna jump in with someone you don't know, then you will need to have a really good understanding and articulation, as well as the ability to switch perspectives, conceptualize, and provide examples, (imo)

It also depends if the person is willing to question what they believe more than anything. Some people do not care to question what is thought, if that is their choice then it should also be respected as such, imo.

Edited by Informer

Oh, and you don't need to use the dogma to explain spirituality either, that is a big turn-off for atheist imo. It seems like relating experiences seems to draw the most interest. Like if you achieve metta, and have a chance to talk about it, I would. You can use terms like love, ego, suffering, amongst many other words without the need of a god or diety for explanation of teh phenomena.

Don't do it if you fear to be torn down, because then there is still learning for you before you take it to others.

Like for instance, a common ground I have with an athiest is our disdain for the human interpretations of "dieties and gods".

Edited by Informer

n one instance I manifested the grandest ego to him, where is own was meek and humble, then I pointed out exactly what happened and explained how it was an illusion. (or tryed to :P) (*Warning* do not try this at home, may result in serious injury*)

Some people's great spirituality manifests as atheism...some people's lack of spirituality manifests as religion. Rather than caring about various words that people "believe" in, why not be concerned with how the individual is doing in their life?

Are your friends enjoying themselves? Do their lives have meaning, in their own eyes? What do they care about? What world issues matter to them? Are they considerate of other people? What do they love?

What would attract them to what you consider to be spiritual? What benefits would they receive?

You never know what might bring someone towards spirituality and religion. For instance, for me, it was reading the biographies of the members of the band Tool back in like 2000. :lol:

• Like 6

It is possible to talk to atheists about Buddhism in purely scientific terms without any reference to obscure spirituality, you can talk about the logical process of examining the mind and examining your sense of self and there is loads of scientific evidence now showing the benefits of meditation on enhancing certain parts of your brain to do with positive emotions and reduced stress response and improved health. If you want to challenge their sense of what is possible with the mind show them a video of something like Tummo meditation, the ones with Wim Hof are quite good.

• Like 1

It is possible to talk to atheists about Buddhism in purely scientific terms without any reference to obscure spirituality, you can talk about the logical process of examining the mind and examining your sense of self and there is loads of scientific evidence now showing the benefits of meditation on enhancing certain parts of your brain to do with positive emotions and reduced stress response and improved health. If you want to challenge their sense of what is possible with the mind show them a video of something like Tummo meditation, the ones with Wim Hof are quite good.

Pfft, buddhism is no greater or lesser than the other texts in philosophical sense, imo.

If you focus on one point you miss the wave. It is interesting that buddha hinted at things like non-locality and reincarnation, but the other aspects in other texts are of equal value.(especially in regards to differing and alternative perspectives) :)

Edited by Informer

What are some good questions to get the Atheists thinking?

Why do we wish to get them thinking?

Why can't we simply leave them be?

Perhaps we should simply live our own lives in such a way that they will approach and ask us questions!

• Like 3

Why do we wish to get them thinking?

Why can't we simply leave them be?

Perhaps we should simply live our own lives in such a way that they will approach and ask us questions!

:) :) :)

Edited by mYTHmAKER

Personally, words and explanations- historical, semantic, logical, etc. is all guess work. (score one for Guatama)

One of the reasons I meditate is to go to a place where I'll know. Know what?? Don't know yet, but I hope in deep deep quietness, I'll know ..something. When I get there

The answer won't be in words or logic, it won't be third hand from texts ancient or new; by grace or true unfiltered sight or insight, I'll know.. something.

Edited by thelerner

I find it a shame that many of my friends are hardcore atheists and are hell-bent on disproving anything that has to do with religion.

I am an Atheist but I do not fall into that bag you put other Atheists in. I do agree that there are many of those types of Atheists. Angry, yes. Likely have been hurt in one way or another by some religion and therefore they hate them all.

But then, I would ask, if one accepts life to be what it truely appears to be why is there any need of religions? Are we looking for something more than what is observable? Imagining there to be more to life than there really is?

But then I do understand that people need stability in their life and religions offer this.

In recent years I have found it much easier to say "I don't know."

But then, I don't want to appear to be a total idiot so I will oftentimes state that I do know something.

A gave a friend of mine direct spiritual type experience through energy transmission. I also had asked another friend to do something similar. It worked very well for proving myself.

The abrahamic religions, especially Christianity has a lot to do with this, as their method of indoctrinating and inducing fear and order creates the impression that "God" is a big bearded guy up in the sky judging your every action.

And as such, most equate spirituality with religion very directly, and never take the time to ponder the deeper metaphysical questions because "the vast mystery of the universe is all there is", and that very well could be.

So my question to you fellow bums is, what are some questions you would like to ask atheists to get them reflecting on their spiritual life? I don't mean starting a debate about whether God exists, but maybe questioning the "fact" that the universe is a blind, unintelligent evolutionary system and we are the byproduct of its randomness... which is a real put down, since it creates the impression that we are just bones in a bag of skin and stripped of our divinity.

Anyway... I'm interested in what you bums have to say. smile.gif

icon-of-atheism.jpg

Quantum science or anything related is irrelevant, with the only exception that "atheists" agree that there was no beginning and will be no ending... that "everything" always existed along side "nothing". THESE athiests can call themselves taoists :lol:

... "atheists" agree that there was no beginning and will be no ending... that "everything" always existed along side "nothing". THESE athiests can call themselves taoists :lol:

Pretty close.

I though Atheists did think - unless they're the "from birth" kind;-)

So, yeah, here's one. "Did you replace the idea of "god" with anything? If so, why and what? If not, why?"