konchog uma

Which translation of the VijnanaBhairava do you recommend?

Hello bums! I would like some input as to which translation of the VijnanaBhairava is your favorite.

I had a really powerful shivaratri and would like to deepen my study/practice. I would like a version that is not academic, but has spirit and soul. My favorite thing about shaivism is that its so rich and vibrant, and i engage it to balance out the dryness of buddhism and the loftiness of daoism. Shaivism is like the mud i love to roll around in :) and i'd like a book that reflects that, if you could recommend one or two

i am leaning toward lakshman joo or daniel odier but i am open to anything!!

thanks

I've got the Daniel Odier version, which is actually an appendix to his book Yoga Spandakarika. Very straight forward with no embellishments. At one point I had a site with Osho's commentary bookmarked, but the link doesn't work now.

Hello bums! I would like some input as to which translation of the VijnanaBhairava is your favorite.

I had a really powerful shivaratri and would like to deepen my study/practice. I would like a version that is not academic, but has spirit and soul. My favorite thing about shaivism is that its so rich and vibrant, and i engage it to balance out the dryness of buddhism and the loftiness of daoism. Shaivism is like the mud i love to roll around in :) and i'd like a book that reflects that, if you could recommend one or two

i am leaning toward lakshman joo or daniel odier but i am open to anything!!

thanks

http://www.amazon.com/Vijnana-Bhairava%C3%82-Practice-Centring-Awareness/dp/8186569359

thanks for the responses :)

i went with lakshman joo, but instead of "A Practice in Centering Awareness" i got his hardcover, "A Manual for Self-Realization"

Barnes and Noble wanted $50 for it but i got it on amazon for $14 new. ??? i don't understand how these things work. it was $135 and up used. ??? :blink:

My KS Teacher says Jaideva Singh's work.

Osho's is the worst possible translation in print. He had know Idea about KS or Tantrism, yet thought he was an expert because of his English education.

I like Odiers works as well but I believe there are translation errors, as from him it comes from Sanskrit to French to English...

Scotty, thanks! nice...

Seth, the reviews i read of Singh's work seemed to imply that it was more a scholarly work, in that it was perceived as erudite but dry. I don't like Osho, he's a creep, and not authentic IMO. I feel the same way you do about Odier, the whole Sanskrit to French to English thing kinda keeps me at arms length when it comes to him. And thanks to Scotty's link, i can read him for free! :)

I like lakshman joo, although sometimes he writes in a style that's hard for me to understand, because i don't know all those sanskrit terms. I just need to keep studying so i can keep up! haha ...I'll try to let you all know how i like the book when it arrives

Scotty, thanks! nice...

Seth, the reviews i read of Singh's work seemed to imply that it was more a scholarly work, in that it was perceived as erudite but dry. I don't like Osho, he's a creep, and not authentic IMO. I feel the same way you do about Odier, the whole Sanskrit to French to English thing kinda keeps me at arms length when it comes to him. And thanks to Scotty's link, i can read him for free! :)

I like lakshman joo, although sometimes he writes in a style that's hard for me to understand, because i don't know all those sanskrit terms. I just need to keep studying so i can keep up! haha ...I'll try to let you all know how i like the book when it arrives

Cool, Lakshman joo is great.

Singh is a scholar but he is also a practitioner, although you wont get much commentary in his works. He just endeavors to provide the most acurate Interpretations he can.

If I remember rightly he is or was friends with my teacher, and they and Lakshman joo studied similar places... hmm or was Singh one of Lakshman joo's students?

"Shaivism is like the mud i love to roll around in" Anamatva

That sounds like a stupid thing/conotation to imply, (?) You don't need more books right now, you need more respect.

That sounds like a stupid thing/conotation to imply, (?) You don't need more books right now, you need more respect.

Umm, that didn't sound like an Insult to me, am I missing something?

Umm, that didn't sound like an Insult to me, am I missing something?

You (and some other posters here) could be missing some common sense ? Rolling around in the mud has a close conotation to "rolling around in the gutter"; I shouldn't have to point that out to all the experts on sublime books & gurus or those that seem to want to gobble them up like another choice on a fast food menu.

You (and some other posters here) could be missing some common sense ? Rolling around in the mud has a close conotation to "rolling around in the gutter"; I shouldn't have to point that out to all the experts on sublime books & gurus or those that seem to want to gobble them up like another choice on a fast food menu.

There's something wrong with this?

Perhaps its stupid, and perhaps it isn't. You are welcome to interpret my words in any way you wish. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Shaivism, so i don't feel a need to expound or explain to any further extent. I know what i meant.

I would point out though that i don't see myself as somehow better than or higher in importance than the many animals of creation that like to roll in mud. When i was a child i loved to play in the mud. Now that I'm all "grown up" i find myself in company that is offended by the idea. ???

Om PrithiviDhatu Bhumideviya

(salutations to the dirt, it is the living planetary deity!)

You seem angry. I'm sorry, i just like to read. I don't take spirituality or Shaivism as a fast food menu, and i wonder what in the world you are talking about. If i have offended you, please explain how and why, and i will be more careful in the future. Feel free to send me a PM or work out your issues with me in a more appropriate way than idle slander on these forums. There's already enough of that.

• Like 1

You seem angry. I'm sorry, i just like to read. I don't take spirituality or Shaivism as a fast food menu, and i wonder what in the world you are talking about. If i have offended you, please explain how and why, and i will be more careful in the future. Feel free to send me a PM or work out your issues with me in a more appropriate way than idle slander on these forums. There's already enough of that.

You are not a shrink so give that up... and I'm not either I "just" pointed out what sounded to me like a careless conotation on your part which if I understand you correctly you've now said you will be more careful about in the future which should be enough to clear up the "issue" which was also there in the sense of your "expounding" remarks made about other, loftier or dryer paths in comparison. :huh:

You are not a shrink so give that up... and I'm not either I "just" pointed out what sounded to me like a careless conotation on your part which if I understand you correctly you've now said you will be more careful about in the future which should be enough to clear up the "issue" which was also there in the sense of your "expounding" remarks made about other, loftier or dryer paths in comparison. :huh:

I did not claim to be a psychologist, nor does one need to be a practicing shrink in order to apply the principles of psychology to, for example, conflict resolution. There's no need to be so rude, and that rudeness doesn't reflect poorly on me, just you.

And my choice of words wasn't careless in the least. It was meant to express my appreciation of Shaivism's earthiness and groundedness.

I will take it that the issue is yours since you are the only one offended by my turn of phrase, and i will attempt to be more sensitive when dealing with you in the future. Blessings.

I noticed that the Bihar school has a translation of the Vijnana Bhairava Tantra out (with extensive comentary). Judging by the subtitles, the translation of/commentary on the Saundarya Lahari by the same author is intended as a sister volume.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

A Pig can Love rolling around in Mud, and a Philosopher can Love rolling around in Shavism!

The key point both statements hang on here is Love.

Perhaps you should try rolling around in a sense of humor? :lol:

Edited by Seth Ananda

A Pig can Love rolling around in Mud, and a Philosopher can Love rolling around in Shavism!

The key point both statements hang on here is Love.

Perhaps you should try rolling around in a sense of humor? :lol:

Not a bad try Seth, although the word "Love" is often used for anything from a-z as I'm sure you well know.

lol

I did not claim to be a psychologist, nor does one need to be a practicing shrink in order to apply the principles of psychology to, for example, conflict resolution. There's no need to be so rude, and that rudeness doesn't reflect poorly on me, just you.

And my choice of words wasn't careless in the least. It was meant to express my appreciation of Shaivism's earthiness and groundedness.

I will take it that the issue is yours since you are the only one offended by my turn of phrase, and i will attempt to be more sensitive when dealing with you in the future. Blessings.

Assume nothing, don't be a softy in regards to me, and perhaps consider this as a polite exchange compared to those who can really rip up certain notions...

Om

I noticed that the Bihar school has a translation of the Vijnana Bhairava Tantra out (with extensive comentary). Judging by the subtitles, the translation of/commentary on the Saundarya Lahari by the same author is intended as a sister volume.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Bihar school is from swami sivananda's lineage, iinm. Good stuff...

Not a bad try Seth, although the word "Love" is often used for anything from a-z as I'm sure you well know.

lol

Yes but he obviously meant this in a good context!