Apech

The myth of the eight-hour sleep

In the early 1990s, psychiatrist Thomas Wehr conducted an experiment in which a group of people were plunged into darkness for 14 hours every day for a month.

It took some time for their sleep to regulate but by the fourth week the subjects settled into a very distinct sleeping pattern. They slept first for four hours, then woke for one or two hours before falling into a second four-hour sleep.

Though sleep scientists were impressed by the study, among the general public the idea that we must sleep for eight consecutive hours persists.

In 2001, historian Roger Ekirch of Virginia Tech published a seminal paper, drawn from 16 years of research, revealing a wealth of historical evidence that humans used to sleep in two distinct chunks.

Myth of eight hour sleep

Hmmm interesting .....

I discovered this in college....

Except I didn't go back to sleep after the first four hour chunk, I just got up and went to class :lol:

Sometimes on weekends I'll get up for a bit, mill about, and then go back to sleep for another couple of hours. Pretty cool stuff!

Hmm maybe it is the myth of the the full time sleep. How about sleep eight hours and then stay awake and sleep some hours more?

damn american hustle and frantic life! >.< If i could sleep properly, god would i ever!

-_- *sigh* maybe after this present chapter in my life i will acquire control over the personal power i feel that i have for so long lacked, that i may be able to dedicate my life to personal health and from there to the health of others...

i like to believe it's a matter of time, but it's sure a long time in teh works... -_-

• Like 1

[some Taoist wisdom about sleeping]While it is most productive to sleep between 9 p.m. and 3 a.m., it is especially important for you to sleep deeply between 11 p.m. and 1 a.m. it is said that during these hours, chi in the gall is very powerful, and it is better that you are asleep to store the chi.

Thanks for reminding this to those who don't know or forgot about it. Crucial times are 11pm-1am (gallbladder Qi is mot active) and 1am-3am (liver qi is most active).

But if your shen is full you need no sleep; prior to that your qi (little or no food) and jing (no sex) need to be full too! :) Obviously celibacy and a one meal a day practice is a must as well as living a lifestyle of someone committed to spiritual practice 24/7.

Back to the article, I doubt the real motive is Daoist or spiritual for that matter, I feel it could have been written so people sleep less so they can work longer hours.

I know Chunyi Lin has said that most people don't get enough sleep - and that they need more sleep. Meditation seems to be the best way for people to effectively not sleep as much.

I am always feeling tired when I wake up in the morning from sleep.

Some people at work always comment that I look drained.

I am a shift worker and believe this has something to do with it.

What would you prescribe me do to feel refreshed after I wake up?

This is difficult since you being active when the wood qi is most active. The mind is the king chief of all the yang energy in the body (fire burns wood and rises smoke via the blood), which is why people feel tired, sluggish and with a lot of internal heat when they get up in the morning.

I am assuming that you are active during 11pm and 3am hours sometimes, are you?

Remedy: don't be active during those hours. A lifestyle change is required.

I am assuming that you are active during 11pm and 3am hours sometimes, are you?

Remedy: don't be active during those hours. A lifestyle change is required.

Yes I am.

I cannot change at the moment. So I guess I will accept being drained.

This is difficult since you being active when the wood qi is most active. The mind is the king chief of all the yang energy in the body (fire burns wood and rises smoke via the blood), which is why people feel tired, sluggish and with a lot of internal heat when they get up in the morning.

This is great information Gerard.

A question for you please, I greatly suffer from the afternoon slump. So about 30 minutes after lunch I get totally drained of energy, can hardly stay awake. In terms of the five elements what is going on and what can be done to remedy this?

Part of my practice is the five elements, should I focus on increasing one of the elements after lunch?

Thank you

Ha! Anyone with common sense realizes that they wake up in the middle of the night. I just find it to be a good time to bleed the lizard before going back to bed.

Yes I am.

Yes, unfortunately that's the price you'll have to pay.

This is great information Gerard.

A question for you please, I greatly suffer from the afternoon slump. So about 30 minutes after lunch I get totally drained of energy, can hardly stay awake. In terms of the five elements what is going on and what can be done to remedy this?

Part of my practice is the five elements, should I focus on increasing one of the elements after lunch?

Thank you

Sorry, what you are asking for is a bit too specific but knowing that the patterns of disease in today's society can be basically redirected to the same source, and knowing that you live in a Western country (USA) and perhaps you eat too much raw or processed food, stress or rush while you eat, don't chew properly, eat slowly or irregular eating pattern, then I can guarantee that you suffer from Spleen Qi deficiency, one of the major health conditions in modern society together with Liver Qi stagnation (stress, alcohol and drug consumption, lack of physical activity, going to bed late and having late dinners-past 6pm) and Kidney Yang deficiency (not regulating number of ejaculations or excessive sexual activity). All of this gets worsened by internal causes of disease: the seven emotions. When emotions get out of control for a long time (karmic issues are the cause) they also created internal heat (fire), because they stagnate the Qi and when Qi becomes stagnant it causes fire, which in turn produce signs of "empty heat", great anxiety and depression.

Solution: eat according to the seasons, eat cooked healthy food from a variety of sources (don't eat too much fish or seafood as the spleen doesn't like it since they are damp foods), slowly, chewing well and relaxed, sitting down. Drink puerh tea after your meal if you can, as this tea removes internal dampness and phlegm and strengthens the spleen due to its affinity with the Earth element.

I recommend eating like the Chinese, as they always eat according to the 5 phases :)

However other conditions may rise from Spleen Qi deficiency, so better if you visit a TCM practitioner for a general check-up.

Good luck! :)

• Like 1

Yes, unfortunately that's the price you'll have to pay.

Sorry, what you are asking for is a bit too specific but knowing that the patterns of disease in today's society can be basically redirected to the same source, and knowing that you live in a Western country (USA) and perhaps you eat too much raw or processed food, stress or rush while you eat, don't chew properly, eat slowly or irregular eating pattern, then I can guarantee that you suffer from Spleen Qi deficiency, one of the major health conditions in modern society together with Liver Qi stagnation (stress, alcohol and drug consumption, lack of physical activity, going to bed late and having late dinners-past 6pm) and Kidney Yang deficiency (not regulating number of ejaculations or excessive sexual activity). All of this gets worsened by internal causes of disease: the seven emotions. When emotions get out of control for a long time (karmic issues are the cause) they also created internal heat (fire), because they stagnate the Qi and when Qi becomes stagnant it causes fire, which in turn produce signs of "empty heat", great anxiety and depression.

Solution: eat according to the seasons, eat cooked healthy food from a variety of sources (don't eat too much fish or seafood as the spleen doesn't like it since they are damp foods), slowly, chewing well and relaxed, sitting down. Drink puerh tea after your meal if you can, as this tea removes internal dampness and phlegm and strengthens the spleen due to its affinity with the Earth element.

I recommend eating like the Chinese, as they always eat according to the 5 phases :)

However other conditions may rise from Spleen Qi deficiency, so better if you visit a TCM practitioner for a general check-up.

So will practicing Qigong for 2 to 3 hours a day get rid of these problems - even if still don't live and eat perfect?

Pick and choose:

1. Will Qigong save you if you jump off a cliff into the abyss?

2. Use clean fuel in your car rather than running it with something that will allow you to drive for only 200 miles.

3. No.

Very interesting thread.

Gerard, if you have the time, could you make a thread with regards to dietary advice? I'm curious as to your input.

I just got some Pu Erh tea I ordered today, incidentally, it's a very "earthy" flavor but I finished drinking it hours ago and I still have a pleasant aftertaste in my mouth (even after brushing my teeth!)

Secret to brewing up a good Pu erh...rinse once before steeping.

Was taught to me by my teacher, definitely enjoy it much better that way. :blush:

really good analysis and solution Gerard. much appreciated. Thanks

will look into some of the remedies suggested.

inspired by Trunk's Tea theard a while back, I now brew a thermos full of jasmine tea with some cardimon. have to try puerh tea soon.

all the best

mantis, you are asking for a mammoth task...diet also needs to take into account the year of of birth of the person in question. This is too complicated and too much work for me to undertake. However, I can post the general guidelines for spiritual practitioners as these will be more sensitive and have a better understanding of what happens inside their bodies after they eat. Also anything you eat affects the entire system (principle of dependent origination) which is way monastics, hermits and the like eat little (one meal a day before noon) or nothing at all (breatharians); not because they enjoy punishing themselves but because once your Qi is full you won't need much food in order to survive.

Anyway, the basic principles that are applicable to everyone are:

1. Don't eat over 70%-80% of your capacity.

3. Eat slowly and make sure the food is chewed well (yin in saliva balances the inherent yang nature of food, which is fire alongside air you breathe). Relax and sit down comfortably, avoid eating while doing other things as it will stagnate the process of processing Gu Qi (food qi) during digestion.

4. Avoid grains and if you do not often and of the better type: rye, spelt, kamut, as their are easier to digest. If you are a celiac grains should not be consumed.

5. Try to include in your meals a serving of steamed green leafy vegetables (or fresh vegetables added to your stir-fry).

6. Try to balance the 5 flavours (from 5E/phases theory) in your diet. The "harmony of five flavours" serves to realise direct gustatory enjoyment first, which at the same time provides important regulative and healthcare functions to the human body. According to TCM, the pungent taste can diffuse evil influence, moisten dryness and promote qi and blood circulation, which can be used to cure cold, aching bones and muscles as well as kidney deficiency; the sweet taste can be tonifying, alleviatory and can improve mood, for example, honey and red jujube are nutrients for patients; the sour taste can astringe the intestines, stop diarrhea, promote salivation and quench thirst; the bitter taste can clear away heat, improve eyesight and remove toxic substances. The harmony of five flavours is a prerequisite for health and prolonged life. As a result, the Chinese are particular about the color, smell, flavor and shape of food and the "harmony of the five flavours". In order to acquire a richer gustatory experience, they have invented many flavour treating techniques by using seasonings during cooking.

7. Eating during the negative hours (past 6pm) will throw your entire system out of balance since yin starts peaking and earth element is at its lowest point (stomach-yang and spleen-yin). Hence breakfast should be the most important meal of the day, but better having it during the positive hours (7-11am, 7-9a stomach Qi peaks and 9-11am spleen Qi peaks) from the Earth phase perspective.

8. Foods that are commonly considered damaging to health are kept to a minimum or avoided altogether. These include additives, animal fats, refined sugar, salt, chocolate, unwashed vegetables and fruit.

9. Main courses are supplemented with a cup of puerh tea or warm water as this is considered an aid to digestion.

10. Cooking vessels and eating utensils are generally made of wood, porcelain and earthenware as the acids in food can react chemically with metals often with health repercussions.

11. Variety is encouraged as it ensures that that you do not over consume too much of the same ingredients which could cause an internal imbalance.

12. Use fresh ingredients. This leads a practice disturbing to many Westerners where meat and fish products are chosen in restaurants or in street food markets when they are still alive. Fresh organic vegetables are strongly favoured over frozen vegetables, which are considered to be starved of Qi.

13. Ingredients are generally shredded, diced or thinly sliced as this makes it much easier to digest.

14. The main method of cooking is stir-frying as foods cooked quickly in this manner are more likely to retain their nutrients. Steaming is also popular as this also ensures the retention of nutrients. Over cooking is rare in China and micro-waving is a no-no as it destroys the Gu Qi.

15. Eat foods that have been cooked. Avoid raw foods and do no eat foods direct from the fridge. These cold foods have to be heated internally when consumed and this impairs and slows down the digestive process. Would you pour icy water over a fire?

16. Avoid spicy and greasy foods as they are liver and gallbladder damaging.

17. Eat seasonally.

1. More info in the excellent TCM page of German background:

http://www.shen-nong.com/eng/lifestyles/index.html

2. Extra reading:

The Treatise on the Spleen and Stomach: A Translation of the Pi Wei Lun

Edited by Gerard

Yes I am.

I worked the graveyard shift for years, and I would sleep 5 hours or 6 when I got home in the morning, and then try to catch another 40 minutes before I went in. Still feel drained, no doubt about it.

Thanks, Apech, for a great article.

As I recall "The Practice of Chinese Buddhism 1900-1950", the monks generally slept from 10:00pm to 3:00am or thereabouts, but they were allowed to sleep sitting up in the sitting period at 6:00am, and they took a nap in the afternoon at about 4pm.

I have just finished revising an essay on what I call the practice of "Waking Up and Falling Asleep", which is concerned with the role of hypnogogic states in daily life, although I don't say that in so many words in the essay. Maybe less sleep at night makes the hypnogogic state easier during the day, I don't know.