Aaron

Static shock problems...

Throughout my life I've had this issue with electricity. I get static shocks all the time, not just when it's cold and dry. I get them doing the stupidest things, not just opening car doors, but getting silverware, turning off a light switch, picking up tools, etc. I've had this problem for as long as I can remember, it's gotten so bad that I consciously touch door knobs and metal objects with my knuckles first, to try and discharge it, since it's much more painful through my finger tips. I've had other problems with electricity as well, like light bulbs tend to burn out faster around me, especially florescent bulbs, I've actually had them blow out on me twice and on one occasion the bulb actually exploded. I think I mentioned before that I have an odd experience with street lights as well, they will go off as I go under them. I'm not sure what's causing this, but it's finally gotten to the point that I'm getting a shock when I go touch my laptop keyboard and I'm worried I might cause damage to my computer. Anyone got any tips as to how I can reduce the shocks I've been getting?

As an aside, I can't wear electric watches because they tend to go kaput on me, including most watches that use batteries, I tend to buy only windup watches. My mother has this same problem, so it may be hereditary. I'm also highly alergic to metal, the rashes get so bad my skin actually peals away. I got an ulcer on my stomach because I allowed the metal belt buckle to touch my skin over a prolonged period of time. I had to stop wearing an earring because even with gold and silver, my ear kept getting infected to the point I had to go on antibiotics. I'm wondering if the two could be related.

I know, weird, way out topic, but I'm at my wits end regarding finding answers.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

Throughout my life I've had this issue with electricity. I get static shocks all the time, not just when it's cold and dry. I get them doing the stupidest things, not just opening car doors, but getting silverware, turning off a light switch, picking up tools, etc. I've had this problem for as long as I can remember, it's gotten so bad that I consciously touch door knobs and metal objects with my knuckles first, to try and discharge it, since it's much more painful through my finger tips. I've had other problems with electricity as well, like light bulbs tend to burn out faster around me, especially florescent bulbs, I've actually had them blow out on me twice and on one occasion the bulb actually exploded. I think I mentioned before that I have an odd experience with street lights as well, they will go off as I go under them. I'm not sure what's causing this, but it's finally gotten to the point that I'm getting a shock when I go touch my laptop keyboard and I'm worried I might cause damage to my computer. Anyone got any tips as to how I can reduce the shocks I've been getting?

As an aside, I can't wear electric watches because they tend to go kaput on me, including most watches that use batteries, I tend to buy only windup watches. My mother has this same problem, so it may be hereditary. I'm also highly alergic to metal, the rashes get so bad my skin actually peals away. I got an ulcer on my stomach because I allowed the metal belt buckle to touch my skin over a prolonged period of time. I had to stop wearing an earring because even with gold and silver, my ear kept getting infected to the point I had to go on antibiotics. I'm wondering if the two could be related.

Aaron

Answer you are looking for:

You have super powers and so much energy stored up this happens with you. It is unique to you and you alone, and you have purpose in life to save all of mankind.

It is due to the superpower genes you inherited from your mom. The unique x and y that causes electro static energy generation are yours, and yours alone.

Your latent electroforce powers are starting to awaken and this is a by product.

Focus yourself, and do not mind this minor inconvenience. With proper training you will soon be able to harness the power of electricity to your will.

Remember, With great power, comes great responsibility. Use it well.

-----

Answer that doesn't feed your ego:

You walk and move like your mom, making more static electricity with your clothes.

I got an ulcer on my stomach because I allowed the metal belt buckle to touch my skin over a prolonged period of time.

Correlation, but not necessarily the cause.

Ask Witch(I think it was witch... might be somebody else) about self delusion and selective perception. You only notice when street lights go out around you... but you pass by tons that don't go out around you. And there are hundreds of people lights go out around, because it actually has nothing to do with you. Just a timing sensor in the light. It is more just ego fixation.

Same with florescent bulbs.

Sorry man, your a unique and special snowflake, just like everybody else.

John

• Like 1

Sorry man, your a unique and special snowflake, just like everybody else.

John

Hello John,

Man you're really a bit of an ass aren't you? I mean I've told people they were off about something in the past, including you, which I think is the reason you've taken this pot shot at me, but I've never seen you respond to anyone else in this manner before, so I think this has something to do with a personal issue you have with me, rather than an honest reply.

So lets look at this scientifically and objectively, I get painful static shocks about two to four times a day, on dry and humid days it can occur once an hour, which I'm guessing is more often than other people, now unless I get a lot of people that say this is about how often it happens to them I'm going to assume this might not be delusional and egocentric? I'm willing to accept the street lamp thing or even the light bulb thing as being possibly a side effect of perception, but the static electricity thing most certainly isn't.

See what you've done is taken your objective experience and assumed that it is the only experience, that others can't have another experience. You've taken the norm and decided that anyone who describes something that deviates from that norm is delusional or egocentric. You've essentially dictated normal and abnormal behavior, what is acceptable and not acceptable, and dictated your own beliefs, moral dogma, and ideology as being the only acceptable ones others should follow.

Of course this is normal for most people, social indoctrination tells us to be suspicious of those people who claim to be different or don't fall into what we categorize as normal. I think, though, with much practice and personal reflection you might be able to reach a point in your own life where you won't feel the need to attack someone simply because they claim to experience something you don't believe happened or you believe was delusional.

See the problem with your response had nothing to do with whether my experience was authentic or not, but rather your method of response. I'm not sure if you follow any specific practice, but what I might suggest is that compassion and tolerance are the essential foundation of nearly every religion and philosophy known to man and it might behoove you to begin to think about that when you decide to respond to others.

Also sarcasm is the lowest form of discourse, simply because it is not only the most insulting and trite, but it also requires the least amount of mental exercise to perform, it's a lazy man's way of discourse.

I would suggest that you examine your own response and the reason you felt the need to respond the way you did, then maybe work on those issues before you decide to interact with other people who might have questions regarding similar matters. Skepticism is fine, but it's never an excuse to be cruel or insulting to another person.

Aaron

• Like 1

Aaron

is the static shock stuff going on alot more there recently?

No, it's just I've never gotten shocked touching my laptop before, so I'm worrying I might actually cause harm to my computer.

Aaron

Man you're really a bit of an ass aren't you? I mean I've told people they were off about something in the past, including you, which I think is the reason you've taken this pot shot at me, but I've never seen you respond to anyone else in this manner before, so I think this has something to do with a personal issue you have with me, rather than an honest reply.

Nope.

Not a pot shot, just you trying to make something about you again.

I disregarded the rest of your message as it seemed to pertain to that and berating me/validating yourself.

John

Nope.

Not a pot shot, just you trying to make something about you again.

I disregarded the rest of your message as it seemed to pertain to that and berating me/validating yourself.

John

So you just disregard anything you don't perceive as having value. Well that explains a lot. Get out of here with your passive aggressive bullshit.

Aaron

I've noticed street lights and things going out too. One thing that is fun is if your sheets or blankets are full of static, you can see the sparks in the dark.

I used to get zap'd a lot too. I think the insinuation of disillusionment is helpful unless you choose to be defensive. I thought about typing something a long the same lines as JohnC, but there is no need now. In all honesty you must determine what it is, however you choose it, scientifically or mystically, both or neither.

One must make many assumptions to determine it is anything beyond science tho, imo. Test to see if you really can control it, in a controlled manner/experiment.

(IE i also considered it in a mystical sense, but due to inconclusive evidence/experience on a mystical level, I chalked it up to science rather than mysticism.)

Edited by Informer

I've noticed street lights and things going out too. One thing that is fun is if your sheets or blankets are full of static, you can see the sparks in the dark.

I used be get zap'd a lot too. I think the insinuation of disillusionment is helpful unless you choose to be defensive. I thought about typing something a long the same lines as JohnC, but there is no need now. In all honesty you must determine what it is, however you choose it, scientifically or mystically, both or neither.

One must make many assumptions to determine it is anything beyond science tho, imo. Test to see if you really can control it, in a controlled manner/experiment.

I never claimed to have any control over it, and I don't think it's something that can be controlled, that's just silly. My request was for people who might have had some dietary advice or perhaps advice regarding clothing, practices, etc, that might reduce the incidence of shock.

This is my point though, John could've easily said, "Maybe you're just thinking you get shocked more than other people because you're not aware of how often other people get shocked? It might be more common than you think and the issue is really that you pay more attention to it than other people" rather than his insulting tirade. His choice of course, but it's indicative of his own personal issues.

Aaron

He could be speaking from personal experience, considering it was also my initial reaction the the post as well.

Use fabric softener and don't overload the dryer. (Dryer sheets) You are probably accumulating most of the charge while you toss and turn in sleep.

If you think it is mystical, what sort of evidence led you to that conclusion?

(P.S. I am glad you brought this up, because it has been a very long time since I have been shocked, maybe the energy can be absorbed or utilized by teh mitochondria somehow.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY745NxZwsY

Edited by Informer

...about self delusion and selective perception. You only notice when street lights go out around you... but you pass by tons that don't go out around you.

Not trying to belittle, but this is a good reminder.

Actually, noticing that you get static shocks a few times a day, during this time of year...that is very normal.

but it's finally gotten to the point that I'm getting a shock when I go touch my laptop keyboard and I'm worried I might cause damage to my computer. Anyone got any tips as to how I can reduce the shocks I've been getting?

Touch something that will ground your energy...I remember taking a computer class, and we had to wear grounding wrist bands, which attached to the metal frame of the desktop computers. The trick is to not touch the parts which are sensitive to static electricity. For a laptop, they should all be encased within.

If you are really concerned about this, check out "earthing" products.

I think it is good to use the creative and mystic aspect of the brain, yet when not balanced with logic it is easy to get carried away. The balance is found in the center of your head, where logic and creativity communicate and combine to help each other, (imo). Going to far into science makes the creativity recede as well as going to far into creativity makes the logic recede. Neither is right or wrong, they just are.

I think that:

The only way to understand chaos is with creativity.

This is because if chaos could be defined logically, it wouldn't be chaos :)

Edited by Informer

If you think it is mystical, what sort of evidence led you to that conclusion?

First I want reiterate that I'm positive it's not mystical in any sense, in fact if anything it's probably an environmental or biological condition. I'm 99% certain I get static shocks more than other people, because I can be out an about with the same person and get shocked several times when they don't get shocked once. Again I really can't wear watches with batteries, LED watches for instance, because they tend to stop working for me. I normally buy windup watches because of this, even then I get a rash if they have a metal backing, so in most cases I never wear watches or when I find one I can wear I buy a wristband that covers the metal backing.

I wasn't insinuating that I had psychic powers or anything like that, I was just simply stating I get shocked a lot and I have problems with some electrical appliances. If anyone has issues with believing this, that's fine, but please refrain from making this a "you're just saying that 'cause you want to feel special" thread.

Aaron

Not trying to belittle, but this is a good reminder.

Actually, noticing that you get static shocks a few times a day, during this time of year...that is very normal.

Touch something that will ground your energy...I remember taking a computer class, and we had to wear grounding wrist bands, which attached to the metal frame of the desktop computers. The trick is to not touch the parts which are sensitive to static electricity. For a laptop, they should all be encased within.

If you are really concerned about this, check out "earthing" products.

Hello Scotty,

I understand that it's normal for people to get shocked, but I tend to get shocked very often. I've gotten used to it for the most part, in fact it's not until the last few days when I've gotten shocked touching my keyboard twice that I started to worry. I did notice that the area my finger touches is close to a wire mesh covering the speakers for my laptop, so it could just be that I'm getting shocked when I touch it. I will take measures to ground myself next time just to be certain that it's me and not my computer. It could very well be that I have a short someplace on my laptop, but better safe than sorry. I'd hate to have my computer get fried because of this.

Aaron

If anyone has issues with believing this, that's fine, but please refrain from making this a "you're just saying that 'cause you want to feel special" thread.

Aaron

I didn't say that. If you wanna look at it from a more mystical perspective, I think the excessive discharge of electricity would be due to inability to control or compress it. First I would suggest eliminating scientific explanations tho.

It is becoming common for you to take defense when there is no offense really existing other than in illusion or perspective. I think it may be of benefit to attempt to understand what is being said without taking it personal.

Edited by Informer

I didn't say that. If you wanna look at it from a more mystical perspective, I think the excessive discharge of electricity would be due to inability to control or compress it. First I would suggest eliminating scientific explanations tho.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to infer you were. I was just making a comment about what I saw as the potential evolution of this thread.

Aaron

So then what do you really know about the shocks?

That I get shocked a hell of a lot and I'd like it to stop.

Aaron

That I get shocked a hell of a lot and I'd like it to stop.

Aaron

This is more about what you know about "you", it is not about the shock or the cause.

You could try eliminating any synthetic clothing if you have not done so already. Shuffling your feet on the floor in synthetic socks and shoes or slippers will also contribute to the effect. But these are pretty obvious.

So here's an even stranger answer. You have some ancestral karma of electrocuting others (not necessarily killing them), corrected and deleted to 100% with infinite potential, zero to the power of minus infinity.

I know that sounds strange, but when I looked for the cause the answer came back as non-physical, karma from the spirit.

My wife and I once recieved a static shock from holding hands, I immediately told her that her touch was "shocking" and gave her a kiss. :wub:

• Like 2

Aaron

For your computer issue, maybe this will help -- http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/288325-31-anti-static-wrist-guard

I have pretty bad static issues too...but for me its primarily in winter. Also, the kind of clothes I'm wearing, how dry my skin is affects the intensity of this. And yeah, it's pretty painful. I tend to use some kind of lotion on my hands during winter (don't remember always)...also use softener when I dry my laundry to minimize static build up.

I get it too. Especially winter. Just have to rearrange how I approach metal objects (doorknobs, cars...) With elbows and knuckles.

I relate it to a a moisture-level thing.