eccentric215

Finding the higher self.

higher is a misleading word;

such as lower is what it creates.

seeing that it is low, calling it low;

seeing that it is high, calling it high;

even when one jump from the low to high,

what will stop you from coming back to the low since the low is still there?

observe into your being;

"What is actually the self you are seeking"

"What is actually thinking?"

bring it together, play with it,

let it gets bored of itself, it will throw itself away.

• Like 1

higher is a misleading word;

such as lower is what it creates.

seeing that it is low, calling it low;

seeing that it is high, calling it high;

even when one jump from the low to high,

what will stop you from coming back to the low since the low is still there?

observe into your being;

"What is actually the self you are seeking"

"What is actually thinking?"

bring it together, play with it,

let it gets bored of itself, it will throw itself away.

I like this Xie Jia.

Underlined is definetly my way of doiing stuff too.

You must determine what it is to know anything about it.

Determining what it is not can help to narrow it down :)

The pitfall is that you must not assume to know that which is unknown, you must allow it to remain unknown until it is really known.

Edited by Informer

How would one find the higher self and let the higher self do the thinking?
Good question. Is the Higher Self the same as the Soul...or if not, what's the difference???

And either way, how do we shift to that consciousness?

How would one find the higher self and let the higher self do the thinking?

Hi Eccentric,

Just forgetting higher and lower self for a moment what I guess you are really asking is how you can 'employ' the True-Self, Buddha-Nature, Innate Wisdom to guide your actions. Here's how at least in my experience so take from it what you will:

For the sake of just getting this down I am going to use the words Holy and Sacred to describe our 'Truth' but you could use Buddha Nature. Either way, it could be argued that to see something as holy is to miss the point...but for your argument here goes...

This 'holy' thing is what we are and consequently there is not a 'we'. So the holy part of me, is the holy part of you; it is the same. This Sacredness has always been present (it is all that is present), it will always be here right where we are and we can have Communion with it (forget 'we' and 'it'). This Voice does not appear to us like our normal thoughts but it can easily be accessed and will already be speaking to you. It is what we call intuition, or we know it 'deep down', or 'that person spoke from their heart and not their head'. How it communicates is a Knowing. So if you have ever been about to argue with someone or say something not nice and suddenly you Know not to say that or it will hurt them - this is the Knowing. Often we ignore it and say it anyway, only to regret it later.

So this 'voice' is very subtle. When a person speaks from the voice we know on a deep level they are right because their true-heart communicates directly with our true-heart (both a single thing) and there is less analysis and judgement made here - unless of course our conscious mind is so used to directing us.

To notice what is subtle you have to turn down the volume of your thinking, so you can hear OR you can pay more attention to the moments where the Knowing comes to you. For instance, when a decision must be made - do I turn left here or right. See what 'feels' correct in your gut - your gut instinct. The more you do this the more you notice it and the greater its influence in your life.

Finally, the common way to become aware of it is silent contemplation. Of course our thinking mind will be trying to fill the silence but eventually it begins to quieten naturally. Once this occurs the practice of inner contemplation or meditation is like the sun shining on a tiny flower. Our new focus helps it to blossom and become a greater influence in our life.

The holy way, is the way of silence and stillness. Compassion arises naturally of itself and only in the present moment. So to find your holy truth, act holy, be tranquil. The less you DO the more you can BE holy. It is our DOING that prevents us from BEING. Serenely settled.

As for the soul. In my experience everything is a single soul, the suchness and the reason we have never found it is because we are using it to find itself.

Best wishes and hope this helps,

Heath

PS: I forgot to add...the Knowing/Voice always speaks calmly for IT is undisturbed. So if we hear a voice telling us to do something, or sounds frantic it will be our own consciousness and not the Knowing. Ultimately, our conscious thinking is also IT so there is no distinction between the two but just letting go of the normal chatter we start to notice something else in the silence. Again, the clue is stillness and silence - if it comes to you that way then it is Real.

Edited by Wayfarer
  • Like 4

Thumbs up for Wayfarer's response. You might first task yourself with understanding and perceiving/feeling the difference between lower mind (commonly called ego) thoughts and being in the space of higher mind. I have found that contemplating renouncing the individual self, surrendering all possible thoughts feelings, inclinations mentally, while at the same time being very quiet in meditation, and continue this practice of generating state of surrender, this opens up a space of the higher mind. This practice may not work for everyone, as everyone has their individual challenges and degree of insight, but it works for me.

Further I think the higher mind influences or bridges with the ego mind in degree, not as on or off. So we commonly can perceive a sage by how they speak, and we can recognize the degree of ego-centricity in someones speech and demeanor. So the point is how to increase the influence of the higher mind on ones normal function ego mind. Of course there are people who merely copy the speech and actions and mimic it, but fakers always trip up somewhere. This is not our concern here except to watch out for fake in yourself. When I am in meditation I am closer to higher mind, when I'm out walking around amid people I am stuck in my everyday ego.

• Like 2

The closest thing to "higher self" in Vajrayana is your own wisdom which manifests as deities in night practice etc.

clarity being 7 times more in a lucid dream etc.

Edited by alwayson

Only clear water can reflect the sun.

Any illumination I possess happened accidentally as a result of having to take steps to change my character from the inside - to make myself more comfortable so I wouldn't drink. What i didn't realize when I started all this 31 years ago is that it would lead to a self realization that I didn't know I was looking for.

The inner work is essential. Understanding our own motives. Checking our own behavior. Taming our own thoughts. Cutting off the inner dialogue. Becoming non-judgmental beings who find the ability to love it all because it's all One, and to not love another is to cut off a piece of ourself.

• Like 1