peter falk

what the bleep do we know?

anyone see this movie yet? i just saw it today and it was amazing. the quantum basis of alchemy and meditation. it's given me something new to focus on.

it leaves me wondering if a new western qigong or alchemy can be developed based on some kind of quantum techniques. it's easy to see based on this movie how monatomic gold may effect our spiritual state or consciousness working on al those glands and neurons at the quatum level. very itneresting.

Actually got round to watching this at the weekend (ordered my copy back in October 05 and only just watched it!)

I enjoyed the film, though it was a bit disjointed in parts (and the lipsync on my copy was terrible). Lots of interesting topics and concepts (there is a great animation to download from the main whatthebleep.com website showing the double slit experiment) presented in an easy to follow way. The discussions of addiction to chemicals (and the emotive causes), and how the brain forms associations etc were very interesting.

The overall message seemed to be that we are each responsible for our own reality to at least some extent, which is probably true, though perhaps not to the extent that the film proposes (or due to the quantum mechanic reasons quoted).

I did find parts of it strange though (like the fact that none of the experts are introduced until the end, including the woman who is apparantly channeling some 35,000 year old man from Atlantis. On some research after watching it, I hve discovered that the directors of the film (and some others involved in it) are followers of this channelled person, and that the film is viewed by many as an infomercial for this organisation. One of the contributors has also expressed concerns over the way he was edited. There are plenty of sites expressing scorn at the water experiments of Emoto (not being reproduced, or under double-blind conditions etc).

None of which needs to detract from the film of course, or the things that you can (and I did) take away from it, though some of the research did leave a bit of a bad taste.

There is a new extended edition version (with the animation above and others included, and extra interviews) coming out soon. I will have to decide if it will be worth getting that one or not too.

Actually got round to watching this at the weekend (ordered my copy back in October 05 and only just watched it!)

I enjoyed the film, though it was a bit disjointed in parts (and the lipsync on my copy was terrible). Lots of interesting topics and concepts (there is a great animation to download from the main whatthebleep.com website showing the double slit experiment) presented in an easy to follow way. The discussions of addiction to chemicals (and the emotive causes), and how the brain forms associations etc were very interesting.

The overall message seemed to be that we are each responsible for our own reality to at least some extent, which is probably true, though perhaps not to the extent that the film proposes (or due to the quantum mechanic reasons quoted).

I did find parts of it strange though (like the fact that none of the experts are introduced until the end, including the woman who is apparantly channeling some 35,000 year old man from Atlantis. On some research after watching it, I hve discovered that the directors of the film (and some others involved in it) are followers of this channelled person, and that the film is viewed by many as an infomercial for this organisation. One of the contributors has also expressed concerns over the way he was edited. There are plenty of sites expressing scorn at the water experiments of Emoto (not being reproduced, or under double-blind conditions etc).

None of which needs to detract from the film of course, or the things that you can (and I did) take away from it, though some of the research did leave a bit of a bad taste.

There is a new extended edition version (with the animation above and others included, and extra interviews) coming out soon. I will have to decide if it will be worth getting that one or not too.

I'd have to agree with you on most of your comments. The film was a complete mess, but at the same time it's a milestone in that it is raising awareness of these topics in the public domain. So it is serving a purpose. I'm a bit disturbed to hear the people involved in the film are followers of JZ Knight and her Ramtha character. She's been exposed as a fraud, in fact there was a 60 minutes type special on her years back. I didn't understand the significance of that character in the film, and 'it' didn't really contribute anything of importance. I'm curious why you say we don't create reality to the extent mentioned in the film. What are you basing that on? Just asking..

T

I'd have to agree with you on most of your comments. The film was a complete mess, but at the same time it's a milestone in that it is raising awareness of these topics in the public domain. So it is serving a purpose. I'm a bit disturbed to hear the people involved in the film are followers of JZ Knight and her Ramtha character. She's been exposed as a fraud, in fact there was a 60 minutes type special on her years back.

Hadn't come across anything that exposes her as a fraud as such. Have you got a web reference to that?

I'm curious why you say we don't create reality to the extent mentioned in the film. What are you basing that on? Just asking..

Well, I gues its based on my understanding (possibly wrong) that they were saying that because of the superposition stuff (the wave/particle principle, and how the outcome is affected by the observer) that the observer can dictate their reality due to some quantum mechanics kind of multiplied up to the larger scale. "If the observer can affect things on such a small scale, then imagine what the impact of the observer could be on the bigger material scale" kind of thing. Whereas (as I understand it) the whole point of QM is that those effects only appear at the really, really small end of the spectrum, and dont/cant apply to the world that we all see.

Now, the film does also say that because of chemical dependencies we all crave the kind of situations that we have become addicted to, and so, Eckhart Tolle Pain Body style, we seek, interpret, create situations that meet our needs. And that the observers point of view is entirely localised and unique for that observer. And so what we all see is unique to us and in that sense we all create our reality.

I'm not saying that we cant also affect our reality (and others) in a more "real" way, but that the film did seem to suggest that we can do it because we can determine/affect/choose which of the possible superpositions a particle "actually" has, which we cant (well, not according to QM anyway)

But the film was good and was useful in that, as you said, it raises awareness of other ways of thinking, and of how we can affect our own lives directly.

Channelled shit is the bomb!!!

Cultures who accept channelers/possessionists/shamans/etc are often more fluid, flexible, and creative. "Medusa's Hair" by the anthropologist Obesekere is a great study of this.

The jist of it is that certain individuals really won't fit into a culture very well and will go insane and be outcast. In the process, if they start channelling something worthwhile to the group they'll be reaccepted on new terms (ie no longer needs to be married to so and so (most often)) and become a revered healer or sage and will help others in the same situation. The whole process helps open up a culture a bit when there becomes too much structure. I think that pattern fits Ramtha and JZ Knight perfectly. Obesekere doesn't even comment on the reality or falsehood of the phenomenon, he just shows that it is a natural part of society and that it plays a very important role regardless of if it's really from the other side or not.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/022661601...glance&n=283155

In Tibet, high lamas do consult channelers but they also say that channelling and divination tools are best at obtaining adjunct information that one should always follow one's feelings first and foremost.

I owe a lot to 'Abraham' for making me see that I create my own reality through my thoughts and feelings.

The movie was fun. I liked the wedding scene. I had no idea that was Ramtha until the movie was over. I would have liked to watch it knowing that. You definitely wondered where she got her info.

-Yoda

Another cool aspect of Obesekere's study is that during the big annual blow out party held every year in that region of Sri Lenka he drank a drink that the villagers brought him before the party... highly psychedelic shit. When the party was over he couldn't exactly recall what had happened apart from the sense that he had had a very nice time. He had taken copious notes during the spell, but sadly were unintelligible. The next year, he passed on the drink and got more publishable notes.

one of the worst films I saw last year.

really, the style was like a recruitment video of scientology.. and those wise quantum scientist sitting in front of their fireplaces and talk and talk!! - ugh, not my style.

affenbrot

What I really appreciated was the contributions that the author of "Molecules of Emotion" made.

I think it does much more good than harm... The ideas offered will open some peoples' minds to new thinking and those that already are thinking can probably get a kick from the pop aspects even if their thinking isn't expanded much if at all...

I didn't like it, thought it was too new agey. If you're playing it straight, play it straight. If you want to go dream world w/ fake special effects then do that, but don't confuse the two.

Michael

Nice film, but will add a lot more of wacky religion to established science. They seem to develop a liking for not understanding quantum physics.

Maybe I'm mistaken. It's late. I'm tired. :rolleyes:

it leaves me wondering if a new western qigong or alchemy can be developed based on some kind of quantum techniques. it's easy to see based on this movie how monatomic gold may effect our spiritual state or consciousness working on al those glands and neurons at the quatum level. very itneresting.

Quantum physics has nothing to do with mind or qi gong. It's only by accident that the quantum physicists are encountering limitations of their world-view. While this encounter does create a spiritual opening, or a window, if you will, an opportunity, it's not really the answer.

Have you seen ACTUAL quantum physics handbooks? It's not spiritual material at all! If you take some spiritually-minded people and give them scientific jargon to play with, what's the result? Most likely the result will be crap because there is no deep integration there. The spiritualists don't really understand quantum mechanics the way physicists understand it. So it creates disdain and tension from the scientific community. Many scientists feel sad the that study of physics has began to attract all kinds of "nutty" from their point of view people. While some of that sadness is unjustified, some of it is. Physicists are wrong about the ultimate reality, but instead of dealing with their wrongness constructively and interestingly, people prefer to take some sweet words like "zero point field" and toss them into their brain and call it "done".

That's not the way forward.

Why is this movie bad? I actually believe it. Yogi's claim to be doing the same? How you know it is

not possible what they claim in the movie?

Why is this movie bad? I actually believe it. Yogi's claim to be doing the same? How you know it is

If you calculate complex quantumphysics equations with enough atoms, like all the atoms in a stone or a ball, you get the exact same result as in the simple Newtons equations. The quantum effects only behave strange when applied to a very small amount of atoms.

The new age people can use quantum physics only as a model to explain their thoughts. But typical of new age, they also misunderstand it and believe it is scientific proof. It is not. It is only a theoretic explanation. And it works just as fine as any other theoretic explanation we can imagine for ourselves.

But I loved the movie!

Edited by sheng zhen

You can have an incorrect argument for a correct statement.

If you calculate complex quantumphysics equations with enough atoms, like all the atoms in a stone or a ball, you get the exact same result as in the simple Newtons equations. The quantum effects only behave strange when applied to a very small amount of atoms.

Actually you get something extremely complex and looking nothing like anything Newton ever dreamed of (entanglement, etc.). That is one of the major mysteries of quantum physics. The classical limit is recovered by the approximation [Planck's constant] -> 0 but that doesn't fully cover up the essential weirdness of it all. But is that really connected to spirituality? You gave a perfectly good answer already:
The new age people can use quantum physics only as a model to explain their thoughts. But typical of new age, they also misunderstand it and believe it is scientific proof. It is not. It is only a theoretic explanation. And it works just as fine as any other theoretic explanation we can imagine for ourselves.

To which I would add "For now." Maybe someday a better understanding of the quantum world will help resolve some of this confusion.

But I loved the movie!

What the movie points out shows is that quantum physics can be applied to large things as well. That is why miracles could happen, people can levitate, can life without food, can manifest material things etc. Read this book: autobiography of a yogi from parahamsa yogananda (free e-book available on the internet) Or read about miracles here: http://pathgate.org/pi_tmat_00.html

Reflection on love and miracles:

http://pathgate.org/dht_DRY_livdh_00_01.html

Whenever love abounds and is spontaneous, and the energy with which it is projecting conveys, not merely consistency, but also the essence of innocence, sincerity and honesty that has been stripped of any hidden condition or motive driven by self-centeredness or selfishness, miracles manifest themselves into existence with a singular habit of regularity. It transforms, with ease, even the most mundane, the most uncreative endeavour into a pursuit of higher purpose; taking on a whole new spiritual identity of its own; of being in harmony with oneself, one's work, one's relationship with others and of being at peace with the world.

This is a great master on the website for example, showing moving people and more just by intent:

Energy bubble demonstration:

Read about the Divine Matrix from Gregg Braden.

Do there has been scientific research about so many paranormal things? Read about Holographic universe from Michael Talbot.

All paranormal experiences are not included in modern science. I think we should at least leave the possibility open that consiousness governs materials things instead of the other direction! That is what quantum physics point out. Macrocosmos=microcosmos

What if our brains are just receivers of reality? What if reality is all illusion what Hinduisme/Buddism says. Why are these thoughts just new age crap?

What the bleep do we know?

Edited by TTT

You, like so many others, misunderstand TTT, quantum physics is not used in those new age things. It is only used as a way to explain because the concept contains images that looks a little like the new age experinces. Nothing more. It is no more valuble as an explenation than the ancient theories of qi or whatever. It is no more scientific either, not as long it is being used to explain phenomenons of human perception of reality.

There is absolutely no scientific connection between quantum physics and human observation. It is just theoretical. QP is scientific only as long as it is being used to calculate interactions between a very limited number of atoms.

Edited by sheng zhen

If that bleeping film had been my introduction to all the subjects therein, I would have ran fast and hard in the opposite direction.

Advertisements and promotions are not always a good thing, nor do they always do more good than harm. Would you hire OJ Simpson to hand out flyers for your massage therapy business?