Sign in to follow this  
innerspace_cadet

I work for a for profit college...

As a librarian. I've been there almost five years now and I am frankly getting fed up with the way things are being run. Practically 70 percent of my library's materials are outdated because whenever I ask my superiors about being able to spend money all I get are excuses and evasive answers. It is now the middle of February and I've been allowed to spend a grand total of thirty dollars on a single DVD since the beginning of the fiscal year which started last July.

Now I am being told that I probably won't be allotted much to spend anyway, because corporate headquarters for some reason did not pay the bill for the library's online databases (which I submitted in September). Now that they are past the deadline for the databases, and because they'll finally be paying for it, less money will be available for other things.

I'm starting to freak out because our accrediting body will visit the campus in May or June, and if the library gets so much as a single citation, yours truly will be on the receiving end of a pink slip.

Some days I sit at my desk and I have to resist the urge to type up a resignation letter and just walk out, but I only have 1100 dollars in savings.

It's not like I'm not doing anything about it; I am sending out resumes, but I fear I won't be able to secure other means of employment before I get canned.

You are very much between a rock and a hard place but as you seem only too aware it is probably best to jump before you are pushed.

All that I could suggest is that you increase your efforts to find more agreeable employment whilst still being paid by the College. Make this your main goal and set out to achieve it.

A google search on goal setting and achievement will bring up any amount of free information as to how to go about this if you are unsure.

Once you set the process in motion you may be amazed about how it gathers its own momentum.

Good luck.

Hi innerspace cadet. :) Sounds like the administration isn't "cultivating" your library very well. I have heard stories about other institutions downsizing their libraries and switching more to online subscriptions, away from hard copy books. And closing branches, or reducing hours. This increases the likelihood of layoffs.

Do you have training that would make your career options more competitive in this digital age?

Since you have a few months before the review, you can spend time making plans, saving money, consider possible advanced training, etc. Coming up with multiple plans: A, B, C, even D, would be wise. Perhaps even adding additional cultivation work - stillness or movement forms - may help to alleviate the physiological stress a potential change would have on your body.

Best to you. _/\_

Thanks for the advice. Yes I have been practicing standing qigong and socking away as much money as I can. Today at work it seemed like the administration was more amenable to buying the books, magazines and DVDs I submitted, so it probably isn't as bad a situation as I first thought.

I suggest documenting all of this in detail so that you can show the higher ups what's going on if needed. If you are in a position that you could be promoted then they may need you there when they can the other people responsible. Careful about keeping silent on this as it may be too late by the time you bring the information to their attention. I've seen this kind of thing happen a fair bit and the person at the bottom usually ends up taking the blame for someone else's ineffectiveness because they didn't want to go over that person's head and ruin an already imbalanced relationship.

Sign in to follow this