Sign in to follow this  
chaostheoryreaper69

How does one really go about , well, rediscovering the art of living?

just throwing this out there, we are all trying to achieve some kind of harmoney with nature here to some degree so... speaking , admittedly, as an ignorant young man who was bottle fed and spoiled with electronics, how can one well, rediscover the art of living, ie handiman skills, wilderness survival, growing your own food, creating cooperative societies, etc.? :huh: In essence, how does one who has been so hopelessy seperated from nature for so long go about in actually re connecting with Dao of things? Not looking for one hitter quitter answers, but at least some kind of general advice

• Like 1

thank you so much...simple, but kinda exactly what i needed to hear, wow...that means so much sinfest! it really does, i didnt really think i would get a reply also, luv the upside down rainbow dash! im sportin' Twilight right now = )

Nature works in cycles. As sinfest said, we may think that we are divorced from it - yet will still live by the sun and the seasons. We stare in wonder at the stars above and picnic in the shade of trees.

Where to go from here?

For an individual who wants to re-connect, simple things like spending more time outdoors and looking after plants are a good start.

If you want to learn survival skills or how to grow plants there are plenty of courses to go to. Maybe have a look into the transition towns movement, or permaculture.

• Like 1

Not looking for one hitter quitter answers, but at least some kind of general advice

My experience is that a person should start with what they want their life to be like. You already seem to have a good idea what it is you want to learn and the type of existence you are searching for.

Now just work backward from your presupposed end point.

Handyman skills=Take some classes at a technical college.

Wilderness survival=Start with camping and go from there.

Growing your own food=Neighborhood garden might be a good place to try your hand at that.

Cooperative societies=Start with natural food coops and other coops that might be available to you. See if you think they actually work and how you can apply that to your larger community.

You seem to be asking the questions. The answers are there. But you are the only one who can know if the answers are correct for you.

Ultimately you just need to get out and pursue these questions to their end and see if you get the answers you think you want.

Good luck!

There is this Surivival/bushcraft channel on Justin.tv

http://www.justin.tv/random_crap

Yeah, if your srs start making a pack list of things you will want/need.

Then once you get the things, practice carrying the pack around on trails.

Edited by Informer

1) get tent.

2) go sleep in it outside.

3) make the tent smaller.

4) sleep farther away ....

5) take less gear with you ....

etc .............

................ ;-)

• Like 1

I guess living in the technological world we are lead to believe that science and technology knows everything, but really it's like dust on the surface of the depth of things.

Having this beginner mind, looking up and wondering "wow, the sky is so vast and amazing and works in such mysterious ways to draw up water and nourish the earth and plants." Realizing how little we actually know makes these things we once thought so mundane to be the most awesomely mysterious. Just taking a walk on the earth, the differences in the earth vs. the square and concrete worlds we have built up around ourselves, it reveals that the only reason we need new stimulus every two minutes is because we're missing the constant change that goes on if we pause to take notice..

• Like 1

1) get tent.

2) go sleep in it outside.

3) make the tent smaller.

4) sleep farther away ....

5) take less gear with you ....

etc .... ;-)

I like this answer.

I can't say I'm nature boy, but I do the easy stuff; long walks, creating a vegetable garden, mulching, keeping an eye on the skies, feeling the direction of the wind.

There are some great magazines out; Mother Earth, Urban Farming, Backpacking. My library has back issues and you can take them out for a week, packed with info and inspiration.

Still reading only goe so far. Robaire is right, traveling and forcing yourself to do is the way to grow.

Sign in to follow this