Sign in to follow this  
abandonhope

Help with meditation.

Hello everyone, I am new to this and I would like to get some help meditating. I'll start off first and say I am trying to fall into a deep meditated state. I have meditated a total of about 20 hours and don't know If I have yet. I have a hard time clearing my mind. I also am not sure what to do with breathing. I read the two magus of java books and I am very interested in the Mo Pai way. Any help would be much appreciated.

You breathe as slow as you can and as deep as you can also. Breathe down to a point that you cannot go any deeper, then exhale as slow as you can. Repeat this breathing method all the time. As a novice, that's all you need to know for now...:)

Thanks have you reached deep meditation? Can you describe it? Also. I read that when you breathe you don't want to control your breathing. you want it to be natural. Thanks for helping me again.

It takes practice. The more you meditate the better you get. When i was initially starting my practice a useful tip i found was focusing on something in order to still the mind.

Some people practice candle gazing...or you can just draw a symbol you're familiar with, stick in on the wall and just stare at it. The goal is to keep your gaze fixed on the object without blinking or losing your concentration. When you build stability in this then meditating without an object to focus on will become easier.

-My 2 cents, Peace

It takes practice. The more you meditate the better you get. When i was initially starting my practice a useful tip i found was focusing on something in order to still the mind.

Some people practice candle gazing...or you can just draw a symbol you're familiar with, stick in on the wall and just stare at it. The goal is to keep your gaze fixed on the object without blinking or losing your concentration. When you build stability in this then meditating without an object to focus on will become easier.

-My 2 cents, Peace

Thank you, I will try this. Can anyone describe to me what deep meditation is like. I never seem to find the answer everyone always answers with. It's hard to explain. Someone must be able to describe it in a small way. Also I have add/adhd would taking adderal help with this? I kind of get a speed type high from it so I don't usually take it.

I'm sorry I was watching a movie while posting earlier. I keep hearing about a state of deep meditation when you are half asleep but aware at the same time. I am having a hard time clearing my mind and have idea on the correct breathing techniques. I am looking for advice and tips. I hope this clears things up.

Perhaps the most tried and true method (imho) is a sort of "breath analysis" - I'll write more later but dont have time to elaborate sufficiently right now. Read through my personal practice section, plenty of discussion on particulars there. :) The deep meditation is like existing but not existing, you dont feel breath once you've eliminated turbulence from the air passageways; light and radiant, nothing exists but awareness...

Thanks have you reached deep meditation? Can you describe it? Also. I read that when you breathe you don't want to control your breathing. you want it to be natural. Thanks for helping me again.

Deep meditation is like you are in a state of tranquility. You are sitting there but you felt like you are in a vacuum. Your mind is empty and think of nothing but nothing. At that moment, you are seem like nothing owns you and you own nothing. Your spirit(soul) is free from any external influence. Nothing will affect you and you will not affect anything, not even yourself. You are sitting there relaxing your mind and body.

Yes, your breathing should be as natural as possible. In order to breathe slow, in a way, you are in control. However, you were told not to control your breathing which means you do not force your breathing down deep but only go as far as you can. Ideally, under normal breathing condition, you want to have your breath to go down to the abdomen. Most people have breathing problem which cannot breathe as deep. In order to correct the breathing problem, that is where Chi Kung comes in.

Some people can only breathe down to the throat or chest. Practice Chi Kung will help you to breathe down to the abdomen. When abdominal breathing was accomplished, then you had made progress in your breathing with Chi Kung.

Deep breathing means abdominal breathing.

Edited by ChiDragon

Deep meditation is like you are in a state of tranquility. You are sitting there but you felt like you are in a vacuum. Your mind is empty and think of nothing but nothing. At that moment, you are seem like nothing owns you and you own nothing. Your spirit(soul) is free from any external influence. Nothing will affect you and you will not affect anything, not even yourself. You are sitting there relaxing your mind and body.

Yes, your breathing should be as natural as possible. In order to breathe slow, in a way, you are in control. However, you were told not to control your breathing which means you do not force your breathing down deep but only go as far as you can. Ideally, under normal breathing condition, you want to have your breath to go down to the abdomen. Most people have breathing problem which cannot breathe as deep. In order to correct the breathing problem, that is where Chi Kung comes in.

Some people can only breathe down to the throat or chest. Practice Chi Kung will help you to breathe down to the abdomen. When abdominal breathing was accomplished, then you had made progress in your breathing with Chi Kung.

Deep breathing means abdominal breathing.

I have asthma and for years I took breaths with my chest not my abdomen.(My shoulders would move up and down as I would breathe) I have been reteaching myself how to breathe with my diaphragm. Do you guys draw chi when you meditate?

I have asthma and for years I took breaths with my chest not my abdomen.(My shoulders would move up and down as I would breathe) I have been reteaching myself how to breathe with my diaphragm. Do you guys draw chi when you meditate?

In your OP, you have not mentioned about your asthma. You do have a serious breathing problem. First of all, one cannot breathe with the diaphragm, the diaphragm only moves with the abdominal breathing. Abdominal breathing is when you inhale, your abdomen is fully expanded, and fully contracted when exhaled. In your case, you cannot perform abdominal breathing due to your asthma condition.

I had breathing problem before, I'd corrected the problem by practicing Tai Ji. Tai Ji is very good in correcting breathing problem. It is because the involvement with the slow movements which guide the breathing slowly in a progressive manner.

Edited by ChiDragon

In your OP, you have not mentioned about your asthma. You do have a serious breathing problem. First of all, one cannot breathe with the diaphragm, the diaphragm only moves with the abdominal breathing. Abdominal breathing is when you inhale, your abdomen is fully expanded, and fully contracted when exhaled. In your case, you cannot perform abdominal breathing due to your asthma condition.

I had breathing problem before, I'd corrected the problem by practicing Tai Ji. Tai Ji is very good in correcting breathing problem. It is because the involvement with the slow movements which guide the breathing slowly in a progressive manner.

Well the asthma was very bad when I was born, I was in the hospital for the first year of my life. I now only use inhalers when I am very sick and that was when I was smoking. I quit smoking and it seems like my abdominal breathing is working.

- Joeblast, I searched for your practice and couldn't find it. I'm still a little new to forums, could you give me a link?

Go to the main page where you see general discussion, taoist discussion, underneath is personal practice section. Click my name :D

One does not want to fully expand nor fully contract when doing meditative abdominal breathing - the membranous nature of the physical structures allows for a certain optimal range of expansion and contraction which is generally considered to be the middle 70% of range. So it is "generally full" but like a balloon it can expand much more than is "comfortable" although your lungs cant expand to the limits of tensile strength like a balloon can :lol:

The easiest way to get to that clear state of mind is by imparting significant muscle memory onto the structures of breath via repetition, optimization. Optimize the efficiency of the structures combining to do what they do. When the mind is occupied it has less tendency to pop off random thought, that is basically what is meant by "put the awareness on the mechanisms of breath."

dinner time...

• Like 1

Also I have add/adhd would taking adderal help with this? I kind of get a speed type high from it so I don't usually take it.

If it's affecting your life and you want to take something for it, I think the safest thing to take for ADD/ADHD is Synaptol. It's homeopathic. You will probably have to order it online. Otherwise the ingredients are on the website and some homeopathic places will put it together which costs more.

Check out the pages and pages of amazing reviews here:

http://www.synaptol.com/

Hello everyone, I am new to this and I would like to get some help meditating. I'll start off first and say I am trying to fall into a deep meditated state. I have meditated a total of about 20 hours and don't know If I have yet. I have a hard time clearing my mind. I also am not sure what to do with breathing. I read the two magus of java books and I am very interested in the Mo Pai way. Any help would be much appreciated.

The beginning is basically developing and then appreciating the patience. The energies rise and fall in this state and then you're all good. Thoughts can come and go just like sounds and smells but we let them pass, like the mirror lets the images pass...

If it's affecting your life and you want to take something for it, I think the safest thing to take for ADD/ADHD is Synaptol. It's homeopathic. You will probably have to order it online. Otherwise the ingredients are on the website and some homeopathic places will put it together which costs more.

Check out the pages and pages of amazing reviews here:

http://www.synaptol.com/

Thank you I will have to look in to it. I'm hoping that through meditation I can conquer it.

Sign in to follow this