Trunk

the Arts and Spirituality

a catch-all thread to explore the confluence of the arts and personal~spiritual growth..

How has this appeared in various traditions?,

... various arts?, which arts?

Personal experience?

.. is it therapy?

.. is it spiritual?

post-19-132899091943_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Well I have no idea how my art and music will evolve if I ever manage to succeed at some of my meditation and inner alchemy practices.

But here's a shameless plug of my Deviant Art page.

I need to update it as I have a whole batch of new paintings I've not yet uploaded.

• Like 1

Well I have no idea how my art and music will evolve if I ever manage to succeed at some of my meditation and inner alchemy practices.

I need to update it as I have a whole batch of new paintings I've not yet uploaded.

Exquisite studies, showing a refined grasp of color and composition,...look foward to seeing the "new batch."

I suppose as part of your "meditation and inner alchemy practices" you doing something akin to the Artist Way. As you are involved in Tao/Eastern philosophy, perhaps taking ideas like Sunbathing and Playful Pansies into a more abstract series of the nature of Admirable Friends, as Rothko took the notion of Form and Empty to be instantly recognizable on an emotional level.

V

aesthetic is

when certain emotions

can be evoke from the experiences

art is coarser manifestation of the spirit

*there's a gecko on my ceiling

laugh.gif

I guess art, like meditation, is about appreciating the subtleties and making sure that they don't get swept out of existence. The most beautiful things don't often make themselves known like giant buildings blocking out the sky. Art helps people to stop and notice those tiny wildflowers hiding in the grass, so to speak.

Yes with experience and intuition in the mix art is truly free spirit of mind. Natural therapy. Amazing!

• Like 1

In Bosnia there is still importance payed to the art of expression and disscusion and what they sort of call 'the art of speech' even in random converstaions, an art Bosnians are so fine at. It is a pleasure to listen to those brilliant storytellers.

Also they talk to each other freely just about anywhere regardless if they ever met before or not. Much importance is payed to discussing everything - so that this becomes art and phylosophy at once in a way.

Edited by suninmyeyes

Awesome. i've got to go with that particular art style :lol: it's about all i've got consistently! Sure, i try my hand at tai chiqi gong, and some martial arts pointers, off hand.... lol

But overall, conversation is my art :D also story telling, but i havent spent any time in that area in a long time, i am currently trying to hash out a legend of zelda story :lol: but it's going slowly.

Started summer in '10, and i havent even gotten 1/3 of the way through it yet...

Just reading these and thinking that perhaps the most spiritual part of creating art is the requirement that the artist surrender themselves to another power whether it's the driving rhythm of a song, the cadence of emotion, words that push to be said, or just an inspiration that craves to be shared, all while maintaining a level head and not entirely falling off the deep end. I think practice with this helps with things like tai chi and qi gong which also require the practitioner to allow themselves to become a vessel, to clear the mind of chaos, breathe in spirit, and let beauty blossom within them until they can share their fruits...

I feel guitar playing is very similar to cultivation, the same with any improvisation. You start with something and build on it until you get the reigns of the horse and then you ride it and ride it. By the end you feel like the spirit of the horse has lifted and expanded your own in some way.

• Like 1

Beautiful work. TALENT!!!

I am interested in the use of art as a form of talismanic magick on a widespread and lasting scale...as well as the use of music in the subtle portrayal of belief systems and its effect on individuals.

And also the use of art as a form of healing, which is sort of different from the above.

Oh!, wow! ~ wonderful posts! :)

I hadn't checked this thread in a while...

wonderful, so good to read everyone's.

SereneBlue, brilliant.

Below is a clip of Andy Goldsworthy's work from the documentary of him entitled, "Rivers and Tides", and the related facebook Land Art group where people from all over post pictures of their land art. Generally done w/ all natural materials that are found on site.