Sign in to follow this  
Informer

What do you call it when all reflections cease to exist

Yah but it wasn't really a mirror. lol.

Hehehe.

Actually, Chuang Tzu speaks of a mirror in that he suggests that the Sage is like a mirror, reflecting all things around him/her without distorting what is reflected. I think this would be an excellent ability to attain.

Hehehe.

Actually, Chuang Tzu speaks of a mirror in that he suggests that the Sage is like a mirror, reflecting all things around him/her without distorting what is reflected. I think this would be an excellent ability to attain.

That's what traditional psychotherapists try to do, they try to create a "blank screen" so your own unconscious emotions can be reflected back to you, the problem is that very few of those psychotherapists cultivate far enough to clear all the dirt off their mirror so they still distort things.

Has anyone seen a mirror that has no reflection? What is a mirror that doesn't reflect? Not a mirror. Even if the mirror reflects the infinite clear blue sky, that infinite clear blue sky is also another reflection.

Anyway... just a sharing:

http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/2009/01/three-levels-of-understanding-of-non.html

The Three Levels of "Understanding" of Non-dual Awareness

Posted by: An Eternal Now

Thusness/Passerby's reply to me (slightly edited based on references to another post):

Originally posted by An Eternal Now:

What I said here, is not really correct. Thought is, but no thinker. Sound is, but no hearer. Awareness cannot be separated from thoughts and manifestation.

Yes but what said can still have the following scenario:

1. There is an Awareness reflecting thoughts and manifestation. ("I AM")

Mirror bright is experienced but distorted. Dualistic and Inherent seeing.

2. Thoughts and manifestation are required for the mirror to see itself.

Non-Dualistic but Inherent seeing. Beginning of non-dual insight.

3. Thoughts and manifestation have always been the mirror (The mirror here is seen as a whole)

Non-Dualistic and non-inherent insight.

In 3 not even a quantum line can be drawn from whatever arises; whatever that appears to come and goes is the Awareness itself. There is no Awareness other than that. We should use the teachings of Anatta (no-self), DO (dependent origination) and Emptiness to see the 'forms' of awareness.

Hehehe.

Yes. The mirror bright must be experienced... it is very important.

There is something I think is well written: http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe13.html

We should use the teachings of Anatta (no-self), DO (dependent origination) and Emptiness to see the 'forms' of awareness.

Hehehe. We Taoists don't need to use those teachings but I agree with what you are pointing at.

Instead of considering a point and collapsing the wave, just let the wave flow.

There is only so much of knowing the unknowable before knowing the unknowable becomes inevitable.

:)

Edited by Informer

There is only so much of knowing the unknowable before knowing the unknowable becomes inevitable.

:)

I hesitate to say that this doesn't make sense so I will simply say that it doesn't make any sense to me.

My biggest problem is the "knowing" part. Sure, we can experience it. But can we "know" it? I think not.

So, anyhow, there is still the question: "What do you call it when all reflections cease to exist?"

Can this ever really happen prior to being brain-dead? I don't know. The only condition I can imagine is one of being so detached from reality that we have no conscious awareness of what we are doing.

Basically, I think that whenever we have a thought or take any action there will be reflections of those events. To be totally without thought or action is nothing less than death.

Maybe to see it as being one with something that is other than what you think you are? Then you realize it is not you or yours, yet it is more like you are of it.

Like a place to travel within, a place to go. Remaining free, it is not something else to own.

Something to be a part of . . .

Realizing the things that you are already a part of.

Edited by Informer

Maybe to see it as being one with something that is other than what you think you are? Then you realize it is not you or yours, yet it is more like you are of it.

Like a place to travel within, a place to go. Remaining free, it is not something else to own.

Aha! Now I see where you were wanting this thread to go.

In my understanding you are talking about being totally in the state of "wu".

As far as I know I have been in that state only once in my life and although I don't know how long I was in the state I would think that it wasn't very long because I was standing up when it happened.

Now, on a lower level I can go there (partial state of "wu") when I am meditating but then I don't even care to do that too often. Funny, thinking about what I just wrote, when this happens 'I' is normally a third person who is seeing what "I" am seeing. And this too sounds funny.

But then, I have a physical and mental situation where I am at peace most of the time so I don't need to go anywhere.

Edited by Marblehead

Beyond the mind and thoughts, beyond the idea of a self that is separate,

beyond the eyes that are mesmerized by the reflection, allowing the formless form

to be formless.

Beyond the mind and thoughts, beyond the idea of a self that is separate,

beyond the eyes that are mesmerized by the reflection, allowing the formless form

to be formless.

Although I agree with this I don't want to take it too far because we might get mixed up and start thinking that form does not exist and you know how I feel about this.

But yes, allowing the "formless to be formless" is good, but also allowing the formed to be what it is without adding anything to it or subtracting anything from it.

Taking anything apart separates its parts from what it was and we end up with something useless. Separate me from my gardens and I would be a rather sad person.

Hehe, solace is good to find where-ever it may be.

I don't like to see it as form does not exist, more like water to me ^.^

Sign in to follow this