Sign in to follow this  
AЯAB

Supplements

The time has come in my training where I feel I should incorporate supplements. I've been all natural and what not no supplements but I've decided it would be a good choice. I tend to stay away from all the whey protein crap because most of it is loaded with garbage. I wanted to know if any of you have a hookup or good knowledge of best supplements to take for training(calisthenics,gymnastics). I've never really been into multivitamins or any of that stuff, no pills come near my mouth XD but I feel it's time if I want to attain beastmode and keep it, it may even be good for my health. There's a link to a site below of this protein powder I got a while back, it seems pretty legit but I stopped using it because I wanted to be "all natural". If you have the time please also check out the link, if the protein is legit I will be more than happy to use it because for a vegan protein it has more protein than the whey, 25grams of protein for a 35gram scoop! THANKS DEWDS :D

Vegan Protein

http://www.progressivenutritional.com/en/products-for-men/protein/harmonized-vegan-proteinr.html

can you get ahold of soy? that stuff is the protein king. and it maintains all natural approach.

Second to soy is cannabis, but that's usually not legal even for foodstuffs.

Soy protein tends to be the one that's easiest to find xD, I could get it anytime of the day but I've heard it's not good for males?

Also on the cannabis part, yeah not gonna happen haha. The vegan protein I have does however contain 4grams of Organic Hemp Protein Concentrate. Don't really know what that is LoL.

Soy protein tends to be the one that's easiest to find xD, I could get it anytime of the day but I've heard it's not good for males?

Also on the cannabis part, yeah not gonna happen haha. The vegan protein I have does however contain 4grams of Organic Hemp Protein Concentrate. Don't really know what that is LoL.

same same, hemp is the "industrial" version of cannabis, as it contains less than 0.01, or 0.001% THC... making it legal... in SOME places.

Same same.

Cannabis/Hemp is the highest concentration of protein, second only to soy. Also contains an extremely high concentration and variety of amino acids.

Healthiest food on earth :lol:

same same, hemp is the "industrial" version of cannabis, as it contains less than 0.01, or 0.001% THC... making it legal... in SOME places.

Same same.

Cannabis/Hemp is the highest concentration of protein, second only to soy. Also contains an extremely high concentration and variety of amino acids.

Healthiest food on earth :lol:

The problem with proteins like just hemp is they don't have enough. Like a 30g scoop will contain only about 14g of protein. Same goes for brown rice. I've heard about the amino acids though however I'M A BEAST I NEED DAT GOOOOOD STUFF hahaha :P

:lol: Well i dunno, do your research and im sure you'll find the right thing. IF you're lucky, someone might already have a good answer, and you jsut have to wait on that reply :P

I feel you my brotha. I am lucky, so now I just gotta wait :D. Thanks for the replies bro!

hey, no problem. i might not know much, but i try to help when it's asked.

All i can say is that lots of carbs are good as long as you're using all of them and working out constantly, which is good in combination with protein.

I'm jsut the "cannabis guy", always advocating it's miraculous benefits :lol:

hey, no problem. i might not know much, but i try to help when it's asked.

All i can say is that lots of carbs are good as long as you're using all of them and working out constantly, which is good in combination with protein.

I'm jsut the "cannabis guy", always advocating it's miraculous benefits :lol:

haha that me LOL bro XD. Yeah carbs are delicious, mmmmm carbs! I workout about 3 times a week sometimes more and cardio about 1-3 days so protein and carbs are MI FRIEND :P.

You can have all the proteins you need just from food, you need supplement just if you are a bodybuilder.

Protein powder still sometimes useful, when you don't have enough time to cook something.

I got some hemp powder and i'm quite happy with it, i put it in my vegetable-oat shakes.

Go for it if you need it.

Anyway don't overdo with proteins, you don't actually need more than 2 grams of protein per Kilo, even if you're bulking.

Thanks for the replies, I've decided I'm gonna go with the vegan protein I have. Maybe even incorporate a multivitamin when I make some money.

Also I got iodine drops today. Wow man I don't know how this stuff works but I'm feeling sexy right now I just feel blessed :D this stuff is crazy!

Just keep a bowl of shelled toasted pumpkin seeds next to your computer and drink soy milk if you want to avoid a heavy meat diet.

Here's a great index of protein per serving:

http://www.canadianliving.com/health/nutrition/how_much_protein_do_we_need_3.php

1 cup of soy milk has 8 grams of protein. Combine that with your your protein powder and you've got the same protein as an average pork chop.

1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds has about 20 grams of protein, compared to 8 grams in most other seeds and nuts. The nutrition you get from them is crazy too, especially if you mix them with sunflower seeds. They also prevent hair loss and there has been studies that showed hair regeneration with about 3 cups per day and cutting out sugar, white, flour, and pretty much all bad diet things.

edit:

yeah, iodine is awesome. I used to take kelp capsules in the morning. Would show up to early meetings bright eyed and bushy tailed. Just don't overdo it as you might end up with thyroid complications. I'd suggest only taking it once per day and skip weekends. It's not something to take continuously for ever as it can seriously imbalance you.

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness

It may well be worth taking a look at Mike Mahler who is a vegan strength athlete.

Make a start with this article and then explore his site further as there is a lot of info on supplements.

Making the Vegan Diet Work

Edited by Chang

It may well be worth taking a look at Mike Mahler who is a vegan strength athlete.

Make a start with this article and then explore his site further as there is a lot of info on suppliments.

Making the Vegan Diet Work

Lots of great vegan athletes at;

www.greatveganathletes.com/

And I think diet information from individual athletes will be posted soon.

UHm..

I wouldn't recommend soy , unles it's sprouted and/or fermented and even so not in excess. I like Sun Warrior Protein, RAW Protein by Garden of Life, hemp protein powder and any good raw greens powder (if you take heaping tablespoons that is). Remember that when it's raw you have higher bioavailability than heat processed protein powders. Also if the protein comes from a seed, legume, grain, or nut AND sprouted/germinated (and also greens) a lot of the protein will come in the form of free amino acids which are easier to digest than the unbroken amino acid chains. The enzymes in the sprouts make it easier to digest, and they are also amino acids. But whey seems to absorb good also from what I've read. Though I stick to being vegan because that's just me. Nuts and seeds are also good sources of protein but can be high in fat so as a main source of protein it would only be recommended if you are a "low-moderate" carber like me.

As for the "everyday" protein and any "everyday" food try finding the neutral (in property) foodstuffs.

In

the book Spiritual Nutrition, Gabriel Cousens writes that actually modern research is suggesting that 30-50g of protein is more than enough even for extreme athletes and in fact their performance improves when taken down to this level.

But also other factors can be take into account like ratio of carbs to fats to protein (in keeping muscle mass). I'd say a diet too high in carbs would not be good for keeping muscle mass, nor are the extreme low carb diets except maybe if you eat an extreme amount of protein which may not be good for the kidneys. A diet like the Zone diet is probably best. Though as a raw foods enthusiast you can achieve an effect similar to the Zone diet without exactly following the percentage ratio of macronutrients suggested for the fact that raw protein is up to twice more effective or absorbable ie like 20g=40g protein and on raw foods are much lower in the glycemic index than their cooked versions esp. if you watch the sweet fruit intake (ie bananas dates, etc.). The lower glycemic fruits are best for that and balance it with enough fiber from greens. and... you could also try calorie restriction to make the body actually more efficient in digestion and metabolism. The 4-5 small meals a day though might help keep the metabolic rate up too.

Intermittent fasting has also shown to give benefits for body builders also. The book Eat Stop Eat is a good book on this.

Edited by Spirit of the Tiger

Also if you're drinking caffeinated beverages you might want to be careful about it as it can be quite acidic and that will deplete bone calcium. Excess sugars can also deplete bone calcium. Silicon (from raw veggies) is key to bone calcium absorption not calcium supplements. Caffeine, excess sugar etc, can not only deplete bone calcium but also affect the adrenals (endocrine) and thyroid (controls metabolism and calcium absorption) which are all essential to Beast mode :P.

I forgot to mention Idione (from sea veggies) can also support the thyroid.

Edited by Spirit of the Tiger

Harmonious: thanks for the tips. I went out today and bought myself a bunch of pumpkin seeds :D they taste delicious too. The iodine I have is derived from kelp and seaweed.

Spirit of the tiger: Yeah I tend to stay away from soy XD my dad says it's not for men haha. I've heard great things about sunwarrior products but I don't have the kind of money for that, hemp protein is something I'm looking into it just costs a little too much. Also about the spiritual nutrition book, I've seen it before on Gab's site didn't think much of it though. I might check it out thanks for that.

I've been eating lot's of raisins lately, before workout's and after. Is this a bad thing? The only sugars I really consume are from fruits, raisins, and honey. The only caffeinated beverages I drink is tea, mostly green sometimes white.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE :D

I ended up taking the vegan protein today(it's gag worthy haha) but I will just go back to my regular au natural with foods with the new knowledge I've gained, thank you all for that :)

They also prevent hair loss and there has been studies that showed hair regeneration with about 3 cups per day and cutting out sugar, white, flour, and pretty much all bad diet things.

Just wanted to correct myself on this -- I double checked my source but it was just one nutritionists report (Katie Pugh) mentioned in a book published 1967 by Carlson Wade. Also the amount taken was closer to 1 cup per day, and was accompanied by a lots of nutrition. Brewers yeast, wheat germ, carrots, dessicated liver, silicon, and good circulation were also recommended, though it looks like these others were not all part of the case study.

aRab,

Good move on the pumpkin seeds. They're great in stir fries too, or with millet and fruit for breakfast.

I suppose the iodine extract is probably cheaper than the real thing, but you'll get far more from the spirulina and kelp capusules. Either way, if someone is already a high strung, high energy person then they should be really careful not to abuse the benefits of iodine or it's gonna be a long swim back!!

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness

Coconut oil is really good too. I was reading an article that said the brain takes up coconut oil as ketone bodies for ATP just like the body would if it was in ketosis, and that's beneficial especially for peopole who's glucose metabolism is a bit slow... and in particular alzheimer's patients who's braincell's metabolism might be slower.

I ended up taking the vegan protein today(it's gag worthy haha) but I will just go back to my regular au natural with foods with the new knowledge I've gained, thank you all for that :)

Vega infusion tastes great.

I use the plain one and add a little water. You can add fruit if you like

http://www.myvega.com/

Hey

I forgot to mention, pumpkin seeds are not complete proteins, but if you add some peanuts or any grains or legumes at the same time or during the day then the enzymes will be complete

Sign in to follow this