humbleone

Taoist INTENT and Goal Manifestation

How does one go about developing Taoist INTENT?

From what I understand INTENT is very different from the traditional INTENTION.

INTENT is devoid of emotion, anxiety and caring about the results. This 'non-caring' about the results I find very interesting.

Any thoughts, refferal to books/articles is greatly appreciated.

INTENT is widely used in Qigong healings. I am interested in using it for Goal achievement. A goal could be anything, from a perfect score on a college admissions test or weight loss 20 lbs/15 kg.

One thought, while standing in Zhan Zhuang, use inner dissolving on the goal. So this would help dissolve the blocks that prevents one from achieving the goal. However not sure if this is same as INTENT?

Thanks

This could be an interesting topic of discussion.

I will first suggest that in pure Taoist philosophy the Sage is without intent.

At a working level though I think that intent is a very important concept and that there is great power within "intent".

INTENT is devoid of emotion, anxiety and caring about the results. This 'non-caring' about the results I find very interesting.

Any thoughts, refferal to books/articles is greatly appreciated.

INTENT is widely used in Qigong healings. I am interested in using it for Goal achievement. A goal could be anything, from a perfect score on a college admissions test or weight loss 20 lbs/15 kg.

One thought, while standing in Zhan Zhuang, use inner dissolving on the goal. So this would help dissolve the blocks that prevents one from achieving the goal. However not sure if this is same as INTENT?

Thanks

there were some japanese scientist' did a study on this in 1994. so yeah with intention the mind can affect physical body in the desired way.

Thank you for your replies.

so Taoist INTENT vs non-Taoist INTENTION

Over the years I have looked quite a bit at non-taoist INTENTION. From what I read and practiced, INTENTION was all about visualization. So one visulizes the end result, fully engaging the emotions. Actually the emotions play a vital role in INTENTION.

For example a goal, a INTENTION of achieving a perfect score on college admissions test. So one would visualize the end result, fully engaging all the modalities. Seeing yourself in your minds eye, opening the letter from scholastic testing, feeling the envelope, seeing your name etc etc. Then reading the letter that you have scored a perfect score. overcoming with joy!(you get the picture :) )

Taoist INTENT, I believe is a very different animal. No emotion, and you actually don't care about the outcome.

For example a goal, a INTENTION of achieving a perfect score on college admissions test. So one would visualize the end result, fully engaging all the modalities. Seeing yourself in your minds eye, opening the letter from scholastic testing, feeling the envelope, seeing your name etc etc. Then reading the letter that you have scored a perfect score. overcoming with joy!(you get the picture :) )

Very good example except I didn't see the part where you sit down and devote the proper amount to studying the subject so that you will ace the test.

Taoist INTENT, I believe is a very different animal. No emotion, and you actually don't care about the outcome.

Yes, that is my understanding. After what needed to be done is done, what will be will be. (But remember, this includes studying for the test.)

intent and intention are hardly a duality. your terminology refers more to the mentality of the individual than the words you use to divide them.

Taoist intention/taoist intent... same difference.

Intent/intention are essentially the same thing, but the intentions themselves can be categorized differently between christian, atheistic, taoist, buddhist, and zen and infinitye and beyond. a useless argument of semantics.

Your actual INTENT in this thread, however, is more important than dividing "intent vs intention".

Both can be with or without emotion depending on your actual intentions.

I say to you: Make perfect your will.

I say: take no thought of the harvest,

But only of proper sowing.

Choruses from The Rock (1934)TS Eliot

• Like 2

Over the years I have looked quite a bit at non-taoist INTENTION. From what I read and practiced, INTENTION was all about visualization. So one visulizes the end result, fully engaging the emotions. Actually the emotions play a vital role in INTENTION.

How interesting that this topic has come up.

I recommend reading Liao-Fan's 4 Lessons. A classic in China.

I agree with Marblehead one would also need to add elbow-grease to manifesting the result. But in addition to elbow-grease I would add do kind deeds for others. By reading the above story I linked to you'll see why I advise those 2 additional things (elbow-grease + good deeds).

I suppose a good example would be when blessing water or a meal. For example lets say you want to imbue water with the quality of love, purity...etc

How do you imbue these qualities without imputing qualities, visualization and emotions from one's personality into the actual intent and still get a result...that is effective?

Many practices such as Bhakti Yoga are very powerful because they use the emotions as a power to transform and manifest ones deepest self...but if i understand correctly the desire is to go beyond ones perceived self. It is a difficult subject to talk about.

-My 2 cents, Peace

YaMu(Michael Lomax) talks about INTENT vs INTENTION in his book. His focus in on healing, but I wonder if it can be applied to goals. imo Qigong gives us the tools to put INTENT into practice, but I just don't know the mechanics of it. how to go about linking INTENT to a goal?

INTENT: Non-linear, quantum-level event with no limitations. The mind is not involved. Requires energy to have manifestation. Instantaneous. High Level Qi projection with manifested healing is an example.

INTENTION: Initiated by and monitored by mind. Linear, time involved with a finite limitation. Requires concentration to have manifestation. Visualization is an example.

Lomax, Michael (2010-01-01). A Light Warrior's Guide to High Level Energy Healing (Medical Qigong & A Shaman's Healing Vision) (Kindle Locations 1334-1337). Spirit Way Publishing. Kindle Edition.

One practical way I understand this has to do with the level of confidence one has about their intent. Michael Lomax for instance says to generate a purple bubble around you for self-protection using INTENT rather than visualization (intention). People using their intention to do this might be overly concerned about the clarity of the visualization and worry its not as strong as it could be, thus in effect making its weakness a self-fulfilling prophecy. But the teaching of INTENT says to just do it, put a purple bubble around you. Done.

• Like 2

I think with intent you don't worry about it since you already know you've done it. You study for the test, the test is easy for you, you don't anxiously wait for envelope, might not even open it.

• Like 1

I think a large part of this has to do with accepting the movements of nature. To do this you need to be in a harmonious state where you're willing to go without or accept depending on the balance of time, opportunity, and harmony with other things.

Cultivating this kind of virtue allows you get your work done easily and without compromising your virtue or virtuous energy. When things are done this way, they are lasting and create little or no future trouble while rallying unseen support to your virtuous endeavor.

This applies to both the internal as well as the external world.

Daoist meditation focuses heavily on "developing the mind of intent" to use my teacher's words. All of the more advanced practices are based on developing skill and clarity of this "mind of intent." I believe this is what you are refering to. It is not quite as different from the more mundane usage of "intent" and "intention" as one might think, they are not unrelated. On the other hand it is a very specific skill and mode of perception and interaction that distinguishes it from the common connotations of "intent" and "intention."

As far as ways to develop it, practicing Daoist methods specifically designed for cultivating this are the way to go. I've never looked for other ways such as books and so on, although once you are instructed properly, daily life presents infinite possibilities to deepen the practice.

YaMu(Michael Lomax) talks about INTENT vs INTENTION in his book. His focus in on healing, but I wonder if it can be applied to goals. imo Qigong gives us the tools to put INTENT into practice, but I just don't know the mechanics of it. how to go about linking INTENT to a goal?

INTENT: Non-linear, quantum-level event with no limitations. The mind is not involved. Requires energy to have manifestation. Instantaneous. High Level Qi projection with manifested healing is an example.

INTENTION: Initiated by and monitored by mind. Linear, time involved with a finite limitation. Requires concentration to have manifestation. Visualization is an example.

Lomax, Michael (2010-01-01). A Light Warrior's Guide to High Level Energy Healing (Medical Qigong & A Shaman's Healing Vision) (Kindle Locations 1334-1337). Spirit Way Publishing. Kindle Edition.

Intent, once clarified, will be seen to be applicable to anything very easily.

I would disagree with your definitions of "intent" vs "intention". To state categorically that "the mind is not involved" is inaccurate, IMO. Intent is a manfestation of mind. It is a very specific manifestation certainly, but not independent of and unrelated to mind.

" To state categorically that "the mind is not involved" is inaccurate, IMO. Intent is a manfestation of mind. It is a very specific manifestation certainly, but not independent of and unrelated to mind. "

this would be my understanding as well. even if we talk about quantum physics , attention, intention , and will cannot be discounted. IMO

OP,

Welcome to the world of the non-linear.

This is developed through the practice of Stillness-Movement and the practice of manifesting (we talk about manifesting healing) utilizing INTENT. So how does one develop something that requires it's own use?

We define INTENT as a quantum level event, "that through which manifestation occurs utilizing energy". It absolutely does differ from conventional intention and most definitely removes the mind from the equation to avoid linear mental induced limitations. Therefore INTENT is a non-linear EVENT. The outcome utilizing INTENT is potentially instantaneous and potentially with no limitation in amplitude.

The problem is that no conversation can accurately describe this as we are talking around it. This is something that has to be experienced and is indeed a conundrum, for to utilize INTENT one must develop it but to develop it one must use it. I help students in our system experience it; this is how we get past the conundrum. Once experienced then practice develops it.

• Like 3

the question thus arises as to what is `really happening'.

to use the more basic

principles of quantum physics, which bring the observer into the dynamics,

adherence to the quantum principles

yields a dynamical theory of the mind/brain/body system that is in close

accord with our intuitive idea of what we are. in particular, the need for

a self-observing quantum system to pose certain questions creates a causal

opening that allows mind/brain dynamics to have three distinguishable but

interlocked causal processes, one micro-local, one stochastic, and the third

experiential.

when is the critical limit passed?

intuitively we

know that our conscious thoughts can guide our actions.

Edited by zerostao

a lot of over intellectualizing.

laugh.gif

why not keep it simple???

Visualize it to make it "apparent" then "let it go" to make it "solid".

Initiate the intent with intention, get the ball rolling by visualizing it, but dont worry about specifics, that's what the intellect does, worries.

Get the IDEA and then let go.

let it go and let it be essentially out of mind laugh.gif

Edited by Hot Nirvana Judo Trend
  • Like 1

a lot of over intellectualizing.

laugh.gif

why not keep it simple???

Initiate the intent with intention, get the ball rolling by visualizing it, but dont worry about specifics, that's what the intellect does, worries.

Get the IDEA and then let go.

let it go and let it be essentially out of mind laugh.gif

intuitive is not intellectualizing

"Visualize it to make it "apparent" then "let it go" to make it "solid".

there is no solid

hence the "quotations", as a reference to an idea, not an object. laugh.gif the idea of solid and apparent. not the objective of apparent and solid.

and i still reach for the way to comprehend between our thoughts and the thoughtless,

the nature of the

questions put to nature can therefore be quite different

the idea here is that the action of the projection

that is associated with a thought will actualize a pattern of

brain activity that will dynamically evolve in such a way as to tend to

create a subsequent state that is likely to achieve the intention of the

thought . the natural cause of this positive correlation between

the experiential intention of the thought and the matching confirmatory

experience of a succeeding thought is set in place during the

formation of brain structure, in the course of the person's interaction

with his environment, by the reinforcement of brain structures that result in

successful pairings between experienced intentions and subsequently

experienced perceptions.

Edited by zerostao

Perhaps you are unaware that the medical qigong system of Michael Lomax (Ya Mu) DOES NOT utilize visualization.

I do not concern myself too much with what already works too often. I go by a feel for it. Personal cultivation for me is 89% self learned. what advice i do hear and get, i take on an experience(d) basis. I've only had 2 teachers in the ways of martial arts, and one i can attribute to chi and/or cultivation.

I have taken the seeds they have given me and planted them within myself to allow them to grow to their own nature, within my own nature.

We define INTENT as a quantum level event, "that through which manifestation occurs utilizing energy". It absolutely does differ from conventional intention and most definitely removes the mind from the equation to avoid linear mental induced limitations. Therefore INTENT is a non-linear EVENT. The outcome utilizing INTENT is potentially instantaneous and potentially with no limitation in amplitude.

Interesting, because the one of quantum methods I use (Yuen Method) is based on the principle of neutrality. Meaning, we are either positive, negative, or neutral. In order to connect to our own insight and find answers, we have be neutral. That means the thinking and emotions must be out of the way to get to 100% with infinite potential (quantum level). This is very much the same as your description of INTENT.

INTENTION seems to be more positive, with a more coherent conceptual and/or emotional component to it.

To the OP, one of the triads we use in this system is the manifestation triad or answers, action, and results. Answers come from our insight, the answer itself would need to connect to an appropriate action, and that action would then connect to the desired result.

So if look at that triad and ask about you, here's what I get. Action comes up as the weak link. Behind the action weakness there is doubt, uncertainty, and confusion. So I would just make you strong to all your experiences of doubt, uncertainty, and confusion. The uncertainty has another component, which is your experiences of making other people uncertain (from your spiritual experiences). All corrected and deleted.