Sign in to follow this  
ralis

Japanese Martials Arts Swords

One of my Aikido teachers has a very old Japanese calvary sword. I believe it was from WWII. Still very sharp and obviously hand made by a fine craftsman. One of my dreams has been to own a high quality sword such as a Katana. However, the expense of purchasing an authentic one is prohibitive. Anyway, I was looking at high quality knives at My link and found this demonstration of a Katana. These guys have no knowledge of proper sword technique but the cutting action of this sword is incredible.

Edited by ralis

Real Samurai Sword Technique - Cutting BB Gun pellet by Isao Machii - Japanese Katana Kenjutsu.

I like blades. Buying an traditional Japanese Saber even made in the modern day would cost around 10.000$ and with increasing worth eac year. Only using japanese iron

and high meditative with out dirtying the clothes. Unicum Sabers. Traditional 7 Fold would be max in those time and there are several different sorts of how to put the core.

A blade test which I miss is about blade against blade which is the ultimate material test for a sword.

For the energy side the KAP founder has wrote about Katana and their spirit which would be lacking in this mechanical developed blade, sharp as it is it would not help much against non living lifeforms. Well one can go an call a weapon enchanter if something like this exist.

But well on a chinese TV in the Past CNE I see a performance of breaking if and wood stick, different material while their was placing on buns, Mantou. Without destroying

them.

So I wonder what would happen if such sword would end up in Japan in the Warring State in sword masters and I have seen the energy field on a photo the master of Aikido Founder and so I have a glimpse.

I've been practicing JSA and Kenjutsu since 2001, and have done the research on modern production blades.

The function of a sword, with regards to quality, starts at $500-$1500. If you are paying anything more, you are buying art more than functionality. The reason ancient Nihonto were folded was to removed impurities in the ore, but modern steel is pure enough. Most WWII-era swords were stamped out of steel sheets, but they are still impressive.

Today, in Japan, the government limits the amount of Nihonto that can be forged by smiths, hence their crazy prices ($10k and above-- artistic lineages will go for over $100k, but these are just status symbols or "high-art"). Owning a sword takes dedication, as you will have to oil and polish it regularly, though less often if you live in the desert/dry climate (which I do, and I believe ralis does as well).

Swedish powdered steel is also a popular option (http://bugei.com but they are also owned by Hanwei).

I recently bought myself the Hanwei Tori Elite (MSRP at around $1k, but you can sometimes find it for less on sale). I also own the Hanwei Musashi XL, which has been reviewed to cut as well as the best Shinken on the market. Modern steel and geometry will make most modern production swords worth their salt.

I have never handled Cold Steel's products, but I've read favorable reviews on them. Dynasty Forge also has decent affordable choices, but stay away from Thaitsuki.

If you spend more than $1500, make sure the blade is laminated.

• Like 1

Unfortunately the sale and inport of such swords has been banned in the U.K. since 2008.

Japanese Swords

This followed such swords use in many acts of violence forcing the Government to be seen to be taking action.

I was bequeathed a ninjato katana...pretty sure there is nothing special about it other than that it was previously owned by a very good friend - the blade's almost exactly as long as my spine and its sharp as all hell. Cuts melons pretty darn well :D

Idiotic about swords being banned in the UK. But of course, once you go down the road of taking anything that might hurt anyone from everyone, where does it end?

I still prefer my Damascus Steel Chinese sword:

http://www.amazon.co...=sporting-goods

very nice. i prefer the chinese straight swords and Cold Steel has an offering of that as well. cuts great. but i wish it was a little more balanced. i know one is not going to find a perfectly balanced sword. affordable anyways.

Sign in to follow this