JustARandomPanda

Esoteric Lakshmi Mantra

Can anyone list for me what the benefits of doing the Esoteric Lakshmi Mantra (1 set for 432 repetitions - ie. forward and backward on a mala) for every single day without fail for 10 years brings? 25 years?

Does anyone know what Vows were made by Lakshmi and Ganesha in regards to other sentient beings?

Here is what I think that I understand about this, it doesnt exactly answer your question , but it is a start.

Lakshmi is a Godess of plenty and wealth , results will be according to what you have your intention set upon bearing in mind that her main features/'personality'. Often mantras to Lakshmi would be recited for acquiering of wealth, buisness venture..

I would like to add that for mantra to be succefull it needs to be learned to be pronunced very accuratley. Prefably from someone who has awakened this mantra already in their person and know how to install the mantra into individual and give life to it.

If one is to reap most benefits from mantras and already invest a lot of time it is best to lern exact ritual prescribed for the diety. Unless there is overflowing devotion and inner desire to communicate with the diety, which of course breaks all the rules.

Ganesha is remover of the obstacles and is usually a first one to say prayers to before other prayers take place.

I dont know about their specific vows.

Edited by suninmyeyes

Can anyone list for me what the benefits of doing the Esoteric Lakshmi Mantra (1 set for 432 repetitions - ie. forward and backward on a mala) for every single day without fail for 10 years brings? 25 years?

Does anyone know what Vows were made by Lakshmi and Ganesha in regards to other sentient beings?

Where did come across this one? Gam is bija for Ganesha. By the looks of it this is meant to be a bija mantra but the bija for lakshmi is "om rim shrim laskhmibhyo namah"...llakshmi is the deity of love and abundance. She is invoked to make one's life and home auspicious. I susect a proper incantation in her name will do the same...

Dont understand second part of your question...

Where did come across this one? Gam is bija for Ganesha. By the looks of it this is meant to be a bija mantra but the bija for lakshmi is "om rim shrim laskhmibhyo namah"...llakshmi is the deity of love and abundance. She is invoked to make one's life and home auspicious. I susect a proper incantation in her name will do the same...

I got it from this book, Mantra Meditation and the author got that mantra from his Guru Sadguru Sant Keshavandas. By adding the Gum seed syllable it sort of "turbo charges" the effects of the Lakshmi by knocking down the obstacles preventing the Lakshmi half from enacting. And my obstacles are very great from many decades of not accumulating merit.

Anyway, I presume it to be a Safe mantra since the author intended this book's mantras to be used by everybody who buys the book - including those whom like me do not have a Sifu/Guru. With the addition of the Maha I understand it invokes the Heart-Mind so that whatever one wishes to bring about via the Lakshmi mantra - it will be in accord with Heart-Mind. [and thus means you are much less likely to override something like the Hippocratic Oath - aka ahimsa].

Dont understand second part of your question...

I presume that both Lakshmi and Ganesha are Enlightened Beings. Reciting Mantras taps into the Vows of Enlightened Beings (among other things). So I assumed the various Religions of India would preserve the knowledge of the Vows of said Enlightened Beings the way they are known of many Buddhist's Bodhisattvas/Buddhas.

If this is not so and they are merely principles then I find it easier to think of them purely in terms of Yin/Yang.

I presume that both Lakshmi and Ganesha are Enlightened Beings. Reciting Mantras taps into the Vows of Enlightened Beings (among other things). So I assumed the various Religions of India would preserve the knowledge of the Vows of said Enlightened Beings the way they are known of many Buddhist's Bodhisattvas/Buddhas.

If this is not so and they are merely principles then I find it easier to think of them purely in terms of Yin/Yang.

I don't think Lakshmi and Ganesha were ever considered bodhisattvas by Mahayanists, and Hindus don't have that conception of the vows of enlightened beings, so...

There is an interesting chapter on Lakshmi in "Buddhist Goddesses of India" though.

There is this whole question, "Just what is this mantra doing" and there are so many possible answers. Does Mr. Ashley-Farrand discuss what the mantras he teaches do on a technical level? Does he say they tune you in to actual beings, or tune your energy to align with a principle, or both, or neither, or something else?

Edited by Creation

There is this whole question, "Just what is this mantra doing" and there are so many possible answers. Does Mr. Ashley-Farrand discuss what the mantras he teaches do on a technical level? Does he say they tune you in to actual beings, or tune your energy to align with a principle, or both, or neither, or something else?

It's a thin book and he does mention that he has several books that are thicker and go into greater detail but he does try to break down each mantra to some degree and explain what it's invoking or doing.

The Actual Beings thing I got from other teachers. And I'm not sure Buddhism is the sole religion that teaches about the Vow Form realm. I suspect that Vedantist's sufficiently well along enough in their practice become aware of it too.

I think it has something to do with how the Mind (big M - as in unconditioned Heart-mind, not little m - the mind most scientists and psychologists refer to) brings things about.

I once asked Vajrahidaya about this very subject. Primarily because Master Nan mentioned how important making and keeping vows are to advancing in prajna wisdom (or whatever the equivalent thereof is in Hindu religions). I believe Master Hsuan Hua also taught something similar. Master Hua had a long list of Vows he made. Very beautiful and inspiring.

I know a lot of people on this board did not like Vajrahidaya and I admit sometimes he was pretty good at rubbing people the wrong way. However, if you are able to set aside your own experiences, beliefs, notions, ideas...whatever...it increases the odds of you actually listening.

Anyway here is what Vajrahidaya had to say about the making of Vows and the Vow Form Realm to me.

GIH's statement concerning vows is good and I agree with it, but it's not complete. I couldn't complete it myself, but it could be expanded on conceptually, endlessly.

Basically the vow form realm is basically what he was saying that the mind manifests what it focuses upon, so this vow form realm is basically your realm of virtues and all the beings that are connected to these virtues, you feel this in deep states of the bliss of virtue recognition or the bliss of righteous vows when you feel that deep inspiration of earth shattering compassion.

There are many perspectives within Buddhism, some are more relative than others. Really this vow to stay and work with beings is a way to make lots and lots of connections so that when you do attain realization, these people come back to you as disciples and when you are a Buddha, you will teach from the virtues accumulated in this vow form realm, they will be the manifested form of your vows.

There are so many things that can be said on this, but just keep studying, don't give up, and reading those vows are always good as inspiration.

Now Bill Bodri teaches (and I presume he got this teaching directly from Master Nan himself considering how many years he was with Master Nan directly and Master Nan is still Bodri's Guru) that whenever one chants a Mantra (as opposed to say...merely counting one's breath as beginners do in Zen) it has an extra benefit in addition to the quieting of the mind. Doing Mantra taps into the Vows of the Enlightened Being / whatever made them to give aid to the Mantra chanter.

As Santiago Dobles told one of his Kundalini classes (though he was referring I think to HoOpoOno and Sufi mantras) - "they open and close doors". Santiago said, "They are to get specific things done.".

Hi SereneBlue.

This is a matter that interests me, actually.

As far as I have heard, that this whole usage of vows (not vows in general, but vows to help all beings) is something completely unique to Mahayana Buddhism. Coming back to this realm to help even when you could just stay in higher realm is not, cultivating lovingkindness and compassion for all beings is not, but the idea that making adamantine Bodhisattva vows to aid all beings is absolutely necessary to attain true and complete liberation is unique to Mahayana. When I read Bodri say that you needed to do this to have sufficient momentum to break through to such and such a stage I was absolutely blown away. That idea is just not present in other paths. (If someone knows differently, I would be very interested to know.)

I for one believe not every high level being that makes itself available to help us has made vows like this. But I also suspect that the whole "vow" thing is just a formalization of the virtue and noble intention that such a being already has anyway. So it might actually be functionally equivalent, when you strip away the dogma and formalities.

Edited by Creation
  • Like 1

I got it from this book, Mantra Meditation and the author got that mantra from his Guru Sadguru Sant Keshavandas. By adding the Gum seed syllable it sort of "turbo charges" the effects of the Lakshmi by knocking down the obstacles preventing the Lakshmi half from enacting. And my obstacles are very great from many decades of not accumulating merit.

Anyway, I presume it to be a Safe mantra since the author intended this book's mantras to be used by everybody who buys the book - including those whom like me do not have a Sifu/Guru. With the addition of the Maha I understand it invokes the Heart-Mind so that whatever one wishes to bring about via the Lakshmi mantra - it will be in accord with Heart-Mind. [and thus means you are much less likely to override something like the Hippocratic Oath - aka ahimsa].

Ah, now I see. So, it depends on which perspective you are viewing this from. From a Tantra perspective, Ganesh is the presiding deity of the mula chakra (and his seed is Gam). He is considered remover of obstacles and the significance is in removing obstacle of starting the Kundalini process, the Mula has to be activated first.

Seed of Lakshmi is "Shreem" where "Sha" is for Lakshmi, "Ra" is for prosperity and "E" is for contentment. Since Lakshmi is Shakti, she is also Kundalini.

From the perspective of "vows" is concerned, I guess the various deities and their respective aspects (Ganesha is knowledge, remover of obstacles, Lakshmi is prosperity and contentment, peace in one's life), is that kind of what you were trying to identify? I don't know of any specific "vows" per se, and so I'm extrapolating based on your question. But then I don't know anything...so take what I say with a grain of salt :)

Ah, now I see. So, it depends on which perspective you are viewing this from. From a Tantra perspective, Ganesh is the presiding deity of the mula chakra (and his seed is Gam). He is considered remover of obstacles and the significance is in removing obstacle of starting the Kundalini process, the Mula has to be activated first.

Seed of Lakshmi is "Shreem" where "Sha" is for Lakshmi, "Ra" is for prosperity and "E" is for contentment. Since Lakshmi is Shakti, she is also Kundalini.

From the perspective of "vows" is concerned, I guess the various deities and their respective aspects (Ganesha is knowledge, remover of obstacles, Lakshmi is prosperity and contentment, peace in one's life), is that kind of what you were trying to identify? I don't know of any specific "vows" per se, and so I'm extrapolating based on your question. But then I don't know anything...so take what I say with a grain of salt :)

Ah. Not so Dwai! You most definitely have valuable info to impart! I always disputed with Vajrahidaya that other religions could not lead to Enlightenment. I mean...imo...any spiritual tradition that can give rise to a Great Being like Babaji is NOT a tradition to be looked down upon! Furthermore...did I mention I am a big fan of the Yogi Master Yogiraj Gurunath? :)

Well as for that particular Mantra...hmm. I was kind of drawn to it for some reason. I definitely need a BIG DOSE of PEACE and CONTENTMENT in my life as my whole life has been influenced too much by fear, timidity and cowardice.

Anyway, It is a short, little book but has a nice audio cd in the back that comes with it so you can actually hear the author chanting each mantra listed in the book many times and get it down correctly.

It does seem to be the case that on Amazon (and definitely in my local bookstores) books with Hindu mantras outnumber ones with Buddhist ones. And as for Sufi or Jewish mantras...well...I have yet to see one. I guess they stick to keeping their assorted Mantras as teacher/student spoken-transmissions only.

In any case, I need help with the lower chakras. Clearing away the obstacles is hopefully one of the things I would like to see manifested.

Honestly...that's why I wondered what happens if say someone was determined to chant this mantra for many years? Have anyone ever heard of any particular kinds of blessings or other things that happen if you do so?

I know the author of that book says if you chant "X" number of times - say 100,000 times - the more you chant it the more you saturate your entire being with the effects/blessings of that Mantra. It's just that he did not specify what added benefits may come from going on such a determined Mantra-Chanting spree.

So I figured I'd ask here if anyone knew.

Ah. Not so Dwai! You most definitely have valuable info to impart! I always disputed with Vajrahidaya that other religions could not lead to Enlightenment. I mean...imo...any spiritual tradition that can give rise to a Great Being like Babaji is NOT a tradition to be looked down upon! Furthermore...did I mention I am a big fan of the Yogi Master Yogiraj Gurunath? :)

Well as for that particular Mantra...hmm. I was kind of drawn to it for some reason. I definitely need a BIG DOSE of PEACE and CONTENTMENT in my life as my whole life has been influenced too much by fear, timidity and cowardice.

Anyway, It is a short, little book but has a nice audio cd in the back that comes with it so you can actually hear the author chanting each mantra listed in the book many times and get it down correctly.

It does seem to be the case that on Amazon (and definitely in my local bookstores) books with Hindu mantras outnumber ones with Buddhist ones. And as for Sufi or Jewish mantras...well...I have yet to see one. I guess they stick to keeping their assorted Mantras as teacher/student spoken-transmissions only.

In any case, I need help with the lower chakras. Clearing away the obstacles is hopefully one of the things I would like to see manifested.

Honestly...that's why I wondered what happens if say someone was determined to chant this mantra for many years? Have anyone ever heard of any particular kinds of blessings or other things that happen if you do so?

I know the author of that book says if you chant "X" number of times - say 100,000 times - the more you chant it the more you saturate your entire being with the effects/blessings of that Mantra. It's just that he did not specify what added benefits may come from going on such a determined Mantra-Chanting spree.

So I figured I'd ask here if anyone knew.

The benefits are to be seen provided the mantras are incanted in the right way...right tone, inflection and meter. I can give example of one mantra that was given to me in a dream. I used it to vaporize some "inner demons"... Of course you know that I say this in the symbolic way. Moreover, it helps me relax when i dont have time to meditate and connects me with the unknown teacher who came to me in a dream and gave me the mantra. I got it when my life was in doldrums and it helped me stay sane and practically saved my life.

100,000+ times may work, but once with our ENTIRE being works instantly all the way across or within the universe... for the universe can not resist or delay (by law) a call made from the depth of entire Being!

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 1

100,000+ times may work, but once with our ENTIRE being works instantly all the way across or within the universe... for the universe can not resist or delay (by law) a call made from the depth of entire Being!

The above makes sense but wouldn't one's Heart-Mind need to be opened in order for our ENTIRE being to 'instantly' work the mantra's intent?

Otherwise...why does every spiritual tradition I've come across stress the need to cultivate a calm mind where thoughts naturally cease to arise as a prerequisite for further spiritual evolution?

If it were easy to do the 'Once with our Entire Being' thing why the need for repetitive Mantra-ing at all? It'd just be more efficient and effective to Pray. Same result with more bang for your buck.

The above makes sense but wouldn't one's Heart-Mind need to be opened in order for our ENTIRE being to 'instantly' work the mantra's intent?

Otherwise...why does every spiritual tradition I've come across stress the need to cultivate a calm mind where thoughts naturally cease to arise as a prerequisite for further spiritual evolution?

If it were easy to do the 'Once with our Entire Being' thing why the need for repetitive Mantra-ing at all? It'd just be more efficient and effective to Pray. Same result with more bang for your buck.

Many people use it as prayer, with proper bhakti bhaava (devotion and emotion).

Sereneblue,

My take, spiritual traditions as you've mentioned often stress preparation which is great and helpful, but stepping beyond forms of preparation that can be repeated over and over again and still feel safe at certain levels is not the same as one giving up that safety and stepping into the unknown with utter conviction of Being - which of course is not safe or always calming for known conditions of mind... such is why I believe many spiritual traditions also speak of (edit) setting down all the "books" or mental formuals at some point so as not to get stuck in them. (as you've probably come across in several Zen stories) This explanation may not answer your question but I think it is a major aspect related to it if you will?

Besides I'm rather scattered right now from being on graveyard shift, having a broke down truck, my wife getting on my case, a bad knee, and the feds getting us into a real mess, yet "no blame". ;)

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 1

I'll confess to still keeping up the kuji-in (hand-seals) but only in the bath, and not with a great deal of intent, although I am curious when I see my blood pumping through my fingers and I wonder if this particular practice hasn't contributed to better 'right/left brain integration...

Anyway, the way I understand those (hand-seals) are as physical (the trendy term would be 'somatic') semi-hypnotic trigger points for intentions/states. I've actually forgotten some of the meanings/intentions/chakras each seal goes with so I'm curious if they 'work' without the rest and/or if the rest is 'called in' regardless because the sign is the sign wherever you make it (and forget about acupressure stuff in the hands as well, and channels and whatnot).

I see mantras somewhat similarly, in that if you are reciting them, you are doing that to the exclusion of other stuff you might be doing which in the long run will modify your, well, yourself. Sort of like telling oneself over and over what an idiot I am could be replaced by 'I'm really pretty nice' except the words might not have the appropriate resonance for effect. The idea I think I recall is/was that Sanskrit was the most "exact/closest to reality itself" language in all cases so chanting in Sanskrit has a direct relationship with reality while just approximating noises/vibrations in other languages doesn't. I'm really not sure about that though.

I'm also quite scared to call on Ganesh in case he actually turns up and starts stomping on things, but that's just an aside :)

I'll confess to still keeping up the kuji-in (hand-seals) but only in the bath, and not with a great deal of intent, although I am curious when I see my blood pumping through my fingers and I wonder if this particular practice hasn't contributed to better 'right/left brain integration...

Anyway, the way I understand those (hand-seals) are as physical (the trendy term would be 'somatic') semi-hypnotic trigger points for intentions/states. I've actually forgotten some of the meanings/intentions/chakras each seal goes with so I'm curious if they 'work' without the rest and/or if the rest is 'called in' regardless because the sign is the sign wherever you make it (and forget about acupressure stuff in the hands as well, and channels and whatnot).

I see mantras somewhat similarly, in that if you are reciting them, you are doing that to the exclusion of other stuff you might be doing which in the long run will modify your, well, yourself. Sort of like telling oneself over and over what an idiot I am could be replaced by 'I'm really pretty nice' except the words might not have the appropriate resonance for effect. The idea I think I recall is/was that Sanskrit was the most "exact/closest to reality itself" language in all cases so chanting in Sanskrit has a direct relationship with reality while just approximating noises/vibrations in other languages doesn't. I'm really not sure about that though.

I'm also quite scared to call on Ganesh in case he actually turns up and starts stomping on things, but that's just an aside :)

;) you just have keep modakas for him to eat if you do manage to invite him over...

But mudras (i suppose what you mean by hand-seals) are energetic and the work on nadis and directing energy through them.

The benefits are to be seen provided the mantras are incanted in the right way...right tone, inflection and meter.dream I can give example of one mantra that was given to me in a dream. I used it to vaporize some "inner demons"... Of course you know that I say this in the symbolic way. Moreover, it helps me relax when i dont have time to meditate and connects me with the unknown teacher who came to me in a dream and gave me the mantra. I got it when my life was in doldrums and it helped me stay sane and practically saved my life.

That was interseting to hear.

I so agree with the right incantations (again unless there is massive devotion towards diety which has incredible potential),otherwise it is waste of time.

A sadhu minding his gurus ashram next door to where I spent a couple of months at friends hermitage was doing his sadhana which included his guru mantra and not sure if he did anything else (IMO he must have been in one way or another).

Anyway they came over one day to ask the hermitess I stayed with for help as the sadhu went blind (!) during sadhana. His guru returned in few days time and helped him to gain his vision back after period of some days.

We suspect that it was either some wierd combo of sadhana or something not done in a proper way.

Or what my friend reckons that he might have been doing datura , as many sadhus do in Himalayas. Dont know why would that get him blind though personally.

The idea I think I recall is/was that Sanskrit was the most "exact/closest to reality itself" language in all cases so chanting in Sanskrit has a direct relationship with reality while just approximating noises/vibrations in other languages doesn't. I'm really not sure about that though.

I have heard that Arabic language has a high vibration too.

Supossedly it came as a knowledge in deep meditation.

I dont know Snaskrit so I cant comment from the personal perspective. However it does make a lot of sense from a point of view of inner sounds in meditative expirience.

I have heard that Arabic language has a high vibration too.

Supossedly it came as a knowledge in deep meditation.

I dont know Snaskrit so I cant comment from the personal perspective. However it does make a lot of sense from a point of view of inner sounds in meditative expirience.

Ok, just as an idea. And granted, it's a bit 'syrupy' as a choice. And the music isn't the same. But I found two 'Heart Sutra' chants in Mandarin and Sanskrit. I know which one I prefer. Does that mean it's closer to real or not?

Edited: I should also add, I understand one better than the other.

Edited by -K-

Can some one break down and explain to me what these syllables mean?

Om muni muni maha muniye sakyamuni swaha

I get that Swaha invokes the Ajna chakra and Maha the heartmind

but seriously...can someone please tell me what Muni is composed of and what it invokes?

Also the following?:

So Ha

Om La

Om Bling

Hum

Can some one break down and explain to me what these syllables mean?

Om muni muni maha muniye sakyamuni swaha

I get that Swaha invokes the Ajna chakra and Maha the heartmind

but seriously...can someone please tell me what Muni is composed of and what it invokes?

Also the following?:

So Ha

Om La

Om Bling

Hum

Muni is the sanskrit word for ascetic. Maha stands for great. Swaha is used to indicated that an offering has been made in a ritualistic sacrifice..Sakyamuni is meant to refer to gautama buddha.

Edited by dwai

Ok, just as an idea. And granted, it's a bit 'syrupy' as a choice. And the music isn't the same. But I found two 'Heart Sutra' chants in Mandarin and Sanskrit. I know which one I prefer. Does that mean it's closer to real or not?

Edited: I should also add, I understand one better than the other.

Arent you conflating buddhism into vedanta? Heart sutra is a buddhist sutra. In any case, being a native of india, i prefer sanskrit any day. While i appreciate mandarin, i dont understand it, so that simplifies my life.

.. not sure if this has been mentioned ..

A simple alter w/ a deity image

+ simple offerings (most minimal, some sort of flame: candle or incense, add a bell and water offered and/or vegetarian food, helps more)

can assist with connecting with the grace of a deity.

(Along with the mantra, of course. And certainly you can continue a mantra throughout the day while not necessarily being at the altar :).)

p.s.

I was taught "shring" as the Laksmi mantra which, from a quick online search, looks to be the bij mantra for Laksmi. I do recall that when that group, way back when, was doing it, a number of us noticed that birds were attracted. The teacher said that birds were all about beauty and so were attracted to the results of the mantra.

I don't know much about vows. My sense is that the mantra connects you with the deity, with the grace, being, light, pure vibration of the deity... and "blends one's mindstream" with that of the deity. It's part of "keeping good company". :) .. and connecting with "Enlightened Cause".

• Like 2

Kate said, "...The idea I think I recall is/was that Sanskrit was the most "exact/closest to reality itself" language in all cases so chanting in Sanskrit has a direct relationship with reality..." sounds close to me although as in the reality of the Hindu gods, devas and related human devotees.

One thing about those great Beings is that they can also be so small, smaller than the smallest seed and not break things yet work the largest "miracles".

Muni is the sanskrit word for ascetic. Maha stands for great. Swaha is used to indicated that an offering has been made in a ritualistic sacrifice..Sakyamuni is meant to refer to gautama buddha.

Thanks.

As far as Muni, do you (or anyone else) know which Chakra it invokes?

I know Maha invokes the Heart Chakra (isn't that similar to Heart-mind? I never was quite clear about that one).

I also know Swaha invokes Ajna Chakra

And I guess Gam ("gum") invokes the Root Chakra

So which one(s) does Muni invoke, or does it? Or is it a composit like Shrim?