chi 2012

Chi Nerds

I've decided to cut back on my Qigong practice a little bit - because I have noticed I have been using it as sort of a discraction to avoid facing other areas of my life. I was re reading some of my Hardcore Zen book by Brad Warner and he said that people who practice Zazen all day end up becoming even more imbalanced in their life. I think it's true in once sense - that the more Qigong you do the better - but in my case I just haven't reached the point where I can afford to do this. I once saw on a website the term "Chi Nerd" and I think it was basically saying that a "Chi Nerd" is someone who does to much Qigong and not enough other stuff.

Qigong and meditation are meant to supplement the great gift of life, life is not meant to supplement meditation/qigong :)

Good decision mate!

Ed

Yeah - the universe just doesn't allow for people do be everything and do everything all at the same time. I think it would one day be awesome to train to be a qigong master - I haven't ruled that out as a posibility one day. But to do that you basically have to drop out of society for a while. This is what Jim Nance did - and he would just practice Qigong all day.

But I have to eliminate all distractions not just over doing the Qigong. So this includes being a "Internet Nerd" and "TaoBum Nerd" too.

Do what makes you happy, if you've got responsibilities take care of that too.

If you want to meditate all day, so long as you're doing it for the right reasons and not harming anyone then go ahead I say.

I think it would one day be awesome to train to be a qigong master - I haven't ruled that out as a posibility one day. But to do that you basically have to drop out of society for a while. This is what Jim Nance did - and he would just practice Qigong all day.

The idea of having to drop out of society for a while is an interesting perspective. What lead you to that conclusion?

I was of a similar mindset a few years ago. Then I read some of Thomas Cleary's translations, I do not remember if they were Buddhist or Taoist at this point (probably Taoist). The ancient master whose words were translated was saying that the way can be found anywhere, and that to retreat from society is not necessary. Simply practice diligently where ever you might be.

In my limited experience, the length of practice seems to be the most important. By length, I mean number of years. There is something to be said for intensity of practice. But what really does it for me has been sustained diligence over the long haul. Sometimes I practice every day of the week. Other weeks I am too busy with work and only practice a couple of times. Over all though, once I got the qi flow going it just continues. Practice at that point becomes like rowing a boat. You just put your oars into the water from time to time to keep the boat moving forward. It can drift for a while on its own.

• Like 1

The idea of having to drop out of society for a while is an interesting perspective. What lead you to that conclusion?

I was of a similar mindset a few years ago. Then I read some of Thomas Cleary's translations, I do not remember if they were Buddhist or Taoist at this point (probably Taoist). The ancient master whose words were translated was saying that the way can be found anywhere, and that to retreat from society is not necessary. Simply practice diligently where ever you might be.

In my limited experience, the length of practice seems to be the most important. By length, I mean number of years. There is something to be said for intensity of practice. But what really does it for me has been sustained diligence over the long haul. Sometimes I practice every day of the week. Other weeks I am too busy with work and only practice a couple of times. Over all though, once I got the qi flow going it just continues. Practice at that point becomes like rowing a boat. You just put your oars into the water from time to time to keep the boat moving forward. It can drift for a while on its own.

Yeah - I was thinking about this more today. Time management seems to be one of my problems. Funny thing is when I was big into bodybuilding over 10 years ago - I was a lot more structured. I need to work on my time management. But I do think to become a legitimate Qigong master you do have to drop out of society for a little while. Jim Nance said for his training he had to give up a material life - and Chunyi Lin did cave meditation in China. But I do think you're right that by keeping up the length of my practice - that I can build up my energy to a higher level.

Yeah - I was thinking about this more today. Time management seems to be one of my problems. Funny thing is when I was big into bodybuilding over 10 years ago - I was a lot more structured. I need to work on my time management. But I do think to become a legitimate Qigong master you do have to drop out of society for a little while. Jim Nance said for his training he had to give up a material life - and Chunyi Lin did cave meditation in China. But I do think you're right that by keeping up the length of my practice - that I can build up my energy to a higher level.

I would challenge you to consider that comes down to purity of intent, and the ability to simplify. Simplicity is a virtue. The ability to prioritize, and to lose... to give up what we do not need and only hold onto and nurture what improves our lives can be done in any environment. There are some that are more difficult than others. A person tasked with a family and caring for others has less leeway to simply drop their responsibilities. Earning a living can put pressure on all of us. Staying fed and clothed, maintaining a residence to protect us from the element takes time and energy that must be spent earning money, to be traded for our needs.

Yet at any time, we can take a moment to be in the moment. We can be with our breath, and allow it to be calm and settled. Once we become calm and tranquil, we can make that manifest in our world and for others. At any time we can accept life as it exists, and become okay with that acceptance. We do not need to retreat from society to accept it. Sooner or later, we all must return to it, even after the longest sabbatical.

I think it is always best to find out what 'you'(general you) need to do, becouse sometimes this can be so different than what anyone has ever read or heard about or been adviced to do. It has a potential not to fit with any usual routes people take or have taken before.

It may not compare to anything.

Sometimes excess is exactly what is needed. Sometimes not.

Personally I would encourage anyone to take a break from the routine, and than even change the routine upon return or dont return at all or something else.

In my opinion going in to nature away from big cities is an absolute must. This is the real medicine and an amazing guide. This connection should never be lost.

So many people living in the cities in my obseravtions hardly ever spend any time daily outdoors. It is mad ,this is real sacrilige.

• Like 3