Sign in to follow this  
Rainy_Day

Anyone Need Translations of Daoist Texts?

Hi everyone.

I'll be brief. I want to start a new Chinese-English translation project, translating texts from either Daoism or general Chinese spirituality. My goals are:

(1) I figure I would attain a deeper understanding of the texts if I translated.

(2) Merit generated from propagating Daoism.

(3) Foundation for eventual website or blog.

(4) Meet friends; find like-minded people.

(5) Improve peace and harmony between English-speaking and Chinese-speaking people through cultural exchange.

My questions to everyone here:

(1) Is there any particular text you would like to see translated? (Preferably one that has not been translated before.)

(2) Anyone here want to cooperate with me on this project?

Thank you for reading.

(2) Anyone here want to cooperate with me on this project?

Thank you for reading.

I don't read Chinese but there are a number of members here who do. If what you do is about Taoism I would likely read it and comment where I felt I could make a constructive comment.

Anything about Maoshan.

My School is an oral tradition so not sure if it would be helpful to my actual practice but interesting to read.

Anything from the Quan Zhen sect would be my first request, though I'm not sure what has not been translated.

There are a number of Liu I Ming texts, especially "Arguments on cultivating the truth" which would be great!

The following ones have been translated into English, though I'm not sure where they can all be located.

from this thread

"Awakening to the Tao; Understanding Reality; Inner teachings of Taoism (which includes Four Hundred Words on the gold pill by Chang Po-Tuan commentary by Liu I-Ming), Journey to the west (short commentary by Liu I-Ming like a page explaining how to read Journey to the west), The Taoist I Ching; a commentary on Triplex Unity, Tapping the Lines (Qiaoyao ge), The Hundred Character Inscription, The Rootless tree (Wugenshu)."

Also,

Reply to Fatguyslim:

In order to find and read all Liu Yi Ming 's works , you can go to a famous Chinese Taoist website :

www. Xiulian.com

then try to find and click 内丹典籍, then click 道书十二种 ; all his writings are there;

Unfortunately they are all in Chinese.

8 trigrams by sun lu tang smile.gif

Do you mean "8 trigrams" as 八卦(BaGua) in BaGuaQuan(八卦拳), the martial arts rather than the 8 trigrams(BaGua) in the Yi Jing.

Edited by ChiDragon

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

I believe the way to start is with something short and easy. This way, I build up momentum once I have a sense of accomplishment. I'll make my decision in the next few days and get started.

If anyone else still has other suggestions, please feel free to continue to the conversation.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

I believe the way to start is with something short and easy. This way, I build up momentum once I have a sense of accomplishment. I'll make my decision in the next few days and get started.

If anyone else still has other suggestions, please feel free to continue to the conversation.

You have good intents here. Let's try it and see how it works or it works out or not...:)

Rainy_Day

If you have decided to go on with your intended purpose, here, can you translate Chapter 1 of the DDJ just for my curiosity. Thanks...:)

ChiDragon,

I believe the best course of action would be to translate the relevant sections of the Heshanggong and Wang Bi commentary, and then let you decide.

Scotty,

Yes, I intend to translate "Lingbao Bifa" eventually. Just let me get warmed up on some easier stuff first.

Edited by Rainy_Day

Do you mean "8 trigrams" as 八卦(BaGua) in BaGuaQuan(八卦拳), the martial arts rather than the 8 trigrams(BaGua) in the Yi Jing.

the one that Sun Lu Tang authored . baguazhang and more

As far as I know, you will be the first person to translate it into English. You could potentially make quite a bit of money by self publishing it on amazon.com.

the one that Sun Lu Tang authored . baguazhang and more

A book of his translation on baguazhang.

baguazhang 八卦掌(Ba Gua Palm)

PS...

There is a BaGuaQuan,八卦拳(Ba Gua Fist). Some people translated as Ba Gua Boxing. I preferred the former.

Edited by ChiDragon

A book of his translation on baguazhang.

baguazhang 八卦掌(Ba Gua Palm)

PS...

There is a BaGuaQuan,八卦拳(Ba Gua Fist). Some people translated as Ba Gua Boxing. I preferred the former.

thank you ChiDragon smile.gif the one listed next to it by Jiang Rong Qiao would also be cool.

ChiDragon plays baguazhang?

thank you ChiDragon smile.gif the one listed next to it by Jiang Rong Qiao would also be cool.

ChiDragon plays baguazhang?

You welcome, zerotao...

I play Tai Ji. It is same as good as the baguazhang and any other...:)

Edited by ChiDragon

I play Tai Ji. It is as good as the baguazhang and any other...smile.gif

i agree with you. and i have noticed some folks do taiji and bagua, some also xingyi. i dabble with the taiji and xingyi.

and they all do share similarities but imo they also each hold unique learnings and experience.

i agree with you. and i have noticed some folks do taiji and bagua, some also xingyi. i dabble with the taiji and xingyi.

and they all do share similarities but imo they also each hold unique learnings and experience.

Yes, they came from the same family WuDang(武當).............:)

Edited by ChiDragon

ChiDragon do you know anything about these?

and if they have already been translated?

any of the 6 books by Wu Tu Nan but for example these

Guo Shu Gai Lun

Tai Ji Gong . Nei Jia Quan . Xuan Xuan Dao

History of Chinese Martial Arts by Xi Yun Tai 1985

Wudang Martial Arts by Masters: Pei Xi Rong and Li Chun Sheng 1984

The Secret of Training the internal Elixir in the Taiji Art by Zhang San Feng preserved by TaiyiShanren

ChiDragon do you know anything about these?

and if they have already been translated?

any of the 6 books by Wu Tu Nan but for example these

Guo Shu Gai Lun

Tai Ji Gong . Nei Jia Quan . Xuan Xuan Dao

The Secret of Training the internal Elixir in the Taiji Art by Zhang San Feng preserved by TaiyiShanren

Guo Shu Gai Lun: 國術概論 <--- No translation yet

Tai Ji Gong: 太極功 <----

Nei Jia Quan: 內冢拳 <--- http://www.pro-holistic.co.uk/Definitions/what-is-neijia-quan.aspx

Xuan Xuan Dao: 玄玄刀 <---

No translation for the following books:

• Like 1

Nei Jia Quan: 內冢拳 <--- http://www.pro-holis...eijia-quan.aspx

thank you again ChiDragon smile.gif

Nei Jia Quan: 內冢拳 <--- http://www.pro-holis...eijia-quan.aspx

I'm pretty sure I've read the Zhang Sanfeng one. Don't remember who the preserver was though. It was short and to the point. Very useful. What about the version you reference -- is it also very short or am I only familiar with a small part of something bigger?

Sign in to follow this