Cameron

Dumplings

What's your favorite type of dumpling? It's New Years in China and I am pigging out!

So far pork and lamb are my favorites.

Edited by Cameron

Whilst an interesting read I found it rather dry, though it has undoubtably influenced later works and New Age thought in general.

The link below may throw some light on its origins for those who wish to research further.

The Kybalion

• Like 1

Dumplings will be of greater benefit than your reading the Kybalion. Just go easy on the lard.

I know its not too healthy, but I seem to prefer fried dumplings vs steamed or in soup kind. There are some amazing dumpling places in New York City (Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens) Chinatowns. pork and chives or vegetables ones are my favorite!

Are there any dumplings that are made without wheat or any other kind of dough? Like rolled in leaves or something? Cuz I'm trying to exclude wheat from my diet; but any time I go to the local East Food grocery store there are lots of dumplings there that look so tasty.

idquest, you got me curious to make some dumpling wrappers without wheat. Here's what I found. Check out the "dough #3" made out of "sweet rice, millet, and tapioca." The cook reviews his findings and is positive! :)

http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2011/10/gluten-free-asian-dumpling-dough-best-uses.html

Yeah, the Vietnamese section in the Asian grocery store is really dangerous, there are so many things that look and smell absolutely delicious. From my childhood, my favourite were dumplings with Feta-like cheese with high-fat sour cream. Certainly not for those attempting to loose weight.

As for gluten free dough - I'm not sure it'll make good dumplings. Anyway, making them gluten/wheat free myself is too much of effort; buying is too risky because you never know what is actually in that dough. THis is why I wondered about some kind of leaves like grape for instance.