Tux

A question about Zhan Zhuang

I need some exercises that will develop a basic balance of strength and alignment. I have some interesting exercises that are designed to create tension to keep things in order and I've learned that I'm not very good at maintaining the tension. I prefer to be physically relaxed. I learned about Zhan Zhuang and after only a few minutes my weak leg started shaking! I know there are people with considerable experience in martial arts here so I'm asking for some advice on exercises of this nature which will yield benefit, and if there's anything useful you can throw my way about this pose.

Kettlebells are indeed are great way to build functional strength and power but they will not necessarily improve your practise of Zhan zhuang.

The problem with the shaking weak leg could be something as simple as the depth of your stance. As a beginner you would be unwise to sink into a deep riding horse stance and attempt to hold it for any great length of time. Far better to start in a more upright posture and develope depth gradually, strengthening your leg as you go along.

Unless you have a teacher I would recommend taking a look at Master Lam Kam Chuen and his book "The Way of Energy" The Way of Energy

You can also check out on You Tube a series he did called "Stand Stll Be Fit". Both the book and series were very well done and will give you a sound basis on which to build your practice.

I hope that this helps.

Kettlebells are indeed are great way to build functional strength and power but they will not necessarily improve your practise of Zhan zhuang.

The problem with the shaking weak leg could be something as simple as the depth of your stance. As a beginner you would be unwise to sink into a deep riding horse stance and attempt to hold it for any great length of time. Far better to start in a more upright posture and develope depth gradually, strengthening your leg as you go along.

Unless you have a teacher I would recommend taking a look at Master Lam Kam Chuen and his book "The Way of Energy" The Way of Energy

You can also check out on You Tube a series he did called "Stand Stll Be Fit". Both the book and series were very well done and will give you a sound basis on which to build your practice.

I hope that this helps.

Good advice indeed !

I was always taught that ZZ is nothing to do with muscular strength, and if you are using muscular strength, you are not doing ZZ.

Master Wong Kiew Kit is emphatic on this point. Its worth checking out his books or website.

A few years back, I practiced Horse Riding stance on a daily basis, with my thighs parallel with the ground, in perfect form. I found it very hard indeed. But I am extremely muscular. In particular, my legs are massive, form a background in top class cycle racing. My core strength is unusually strong too. So it wasn't muscular strength that was the limiting factor.

Eventually, I was able to stand for eleven minutes, but the breakthrough came when I realised I had to relax, and the more the muscles hurt, the more I had to relax, until it was no longer a muscular exercise. Then my legs felt empty and hollow with no pain.

But anyway, there is no need for such a deep stance.

Unless you are already advanced, you need to spend three years or so practicing Master Lams Yi Chuan inspired ZZ. He knows what he is talking about.

I hope I was clear that ZZ progress is all about becoming more precise with your posture. I plugged k-bell swings for overall strength and conditioning, but I hope I didn't let loose any misinformation that they were remotely related! My apologies if I did! :o

I hope I was clear that ZZ progress is all about becoming more precise with your posture. I plugged k-bell swings for overall strength and conditioning, but I hope I didn't let loose any misinformation that they were remotely related! My apologies if I did! :o

I think your first paragraph was pretty clear. But hopefully you have reinforced it too, by double checking !

Trouble is, people will often read what they want to read, rather than what is there.

ZZ + super slow walking meditation. You can also lower your stance and remain in one leg (at times throughout the walking practice) for as long as you comfortably can. Also play with various hand stances, focusing on the the embrace the tree one.

58611817.th.png

Trees are the best Qigong masters out there, charge nothing and offer the best advice possible. Listen to them. This explains why mountain-dwelling Chinese Daoists focus their practice around trees of various kinds in order to purify the body's five phases.

oakd.th.jpg

Strong kidneys = strong root, strong life purpose and defined goals. The best foundation for serious practice and beyond.

You need to heal your kidneys and build a strong root. This takes years of daily practice. Be persistent, disciplined and patient.

You could also enrol in a class related to any Chinese internal martial art styles.

Good luck.