Marks of Glory

Energy Blockage on Neck

I am feeling some energy stagnation on the right side of my neck.. and it get's a little sore...

some of probable causes ( I Guess )

1) I had the block already and now i am just realizing it

2) whilst I practice Sarvangasana (shoulder stand) I do lower abdominal breathing, and with the inverion, I really feel the energy coming down to my head, maybe some energy is gettin stuck on my neck pecause of it's position

01b-salamba-sarvangasana.jpg

3) I practice Nadi Shodhana pranayama with my right hand, during the practice there is a great build up of energy ant my lifted arms may cause some kind of stagnation and blockage of energy....

What should is the best way to release the blockage? I am massaging it.. kind of with shiatsu and gentrly rubbing my hand in spirals for the energetic work (when I do this the numbness get's stronger)...

Thanks again for help and for this amazing forum..

Love.

Love...

I dont do yoga, but man that posture looks like it would cause some major neck problems.

• Like 3

When I check energetically, I get some discomfort, pressure, and irritation of the spinal nerves at C2. It feels worse on the right side.

Have you tried taking a break from doing that pose?

I would not assume it's a blockage of energy in the neck, I don't feel any energetic weakness there. It feels more like a physical issue to me.

• Like 1

I had a blockage in the neck left side and amazingly is gone now after doing Tiger-Dragon qigong, especially the exercise Tiger Separates Her Cubs.

Edited by steam
  • Like 1

Dragon/Tiger is good. Lee Holden has a great routine designed specifically to help with upper-back and neck issues.

If you don't want to drop the $20 (worth it, as are all his DVDs), I would recommend sitting in some cross-legged variation and doing neck rolls. Or, just let the head drift from side to side. Try it with the arms pressed out at your sides and then with the hands in the crane's beak mudra, beak pointing up. All the while just letting the head drift from side to side. Then maybe finish with some shoulder rolls.

I feel that I should also mention that the pain in your neck may not necessarily be caused by a neck problem. Pete Egoscue says that the site of the pain is rarely the site of the problem. I don't know what it is in your case, but in my case, my neck pain is an indirect result of tight hip muscles . . . I think.

In any case, I would avoid doing any poses or exercises that might put pressure or strain on your neck.

• Like 1

I am dealing with a block in the neck myself but it is on the left side, so I will tell you what I have learned for what it's worth. I don't know if a block on the left will be different than on the right but on the left for me it is certainly an emotional block and as such it is difficult to move it away with qigong as it just resists force if it is perceived even the slightest bit aggressive.

From the body psychotherapy perspective a block in the neck is likely to do with some sort of blocked expression or not being able/daring to speak your truth or speak up for yourself, usually from childhood. From this perspective trying to get rid of the blockage through qigong may just another way of avoiding what you need to do to heal it, as the block needs to be understood and let go of rather than forced away, there may be a lesson within it which needs to be learned in order to heal.

So I would suggest using your awareness with a curious intention without trying to get rid of the block and just go to the edge of it to see what is contained in the energy, just sit on the edge of it energetically with your awareness and see what comes up, what information or emotion is there. Trying to move the energy or get rid of it may be perceived as aggressive which is why sometimes these blocks can last for years despite regular qigong practice.

Often emotional blocks are parts of your body or energy cut off from consciousness through repression and lack of compassion at some point in your life, so all they need to heal is gentle compassionate contact and to reintegrate it back in to consciousness, so using your touch very gently with the intent to just contact the area so see what is contained in it can be more effective than trying to massage it away and working lightly on the edge of it is more powerful than diving right into the middle of it.

But if it's a physical or some other issue causing it I don't know if this will help at all or if a block on the right is likely to be emotional, it may depend on whether you are left or right handed or a whole load of variables.

• Like 3

I had a major blockage in my kidney area that lasted 3 weeks (it's only now starting to dissipate).

I started Spring Forest Qigong about a month ago, and when doing the Small Universe meditation (basically it's like MCO), my energy would get completely "stuck" in the kidney area.

I coud literally FEEL it. Here's what happens: Start from the lower dantien, move the energy to the bladder, then to the perineum, then to the tailbone, then to the lower back, then to the kidney area and...

This is where my problem is. Instead of going to the kidney area, the energy makes a slight detour to the left side of my spine and gets stuck in a "energy bubble" right under my left kidney. When I try to push it up to the next spot (the back of the neck), I can literally feel it trying to burst through the bubble to make it's way up but to no avail.

I had 2 phone sessions, one with master Lin, and one with master Nance to try to clear the blockage but it hasn't helped. Master Nance suggested I do more of the active exercises to help clear it, which I started doing as well.

I was getting really fed up so I tried some alternate methods, like deep tissue massage, and that did help temporarily. I distinctly remember this ONE time I was doing the small universe meditation after getting a massage, the bubble burst for the first time ever and the energy SURGED to the top of my neck, vertebrae by vertebrae, and it felt AMAZING. I never felt energy in that part of my spine in my life. After the meditation was over, I felt incredible. Like it enabled me to finally, definitively, identify a major cause of some problems I was experiencing.

But, the next day, the blockage came back as usual. Drastic times call for drastic measures so I got out my foam roller and started rolling out every nook and cranny in my back, about an hour a day or so. I ended each session by banging my spine with the foam roller (holding it over the top of my head, and hitting it from the back).

After doing that for a few days, I finally got the blockage partially open. The energy is able to get through but not completely. I'd say 50% of it is still getting "sucked in" to the bubble, and the other 50% makes its way to the top.

But, hey, it worked, and it's getting better every day so I'm a happy camper.

Resonate with you Jetsun. :) My right side neck blockage was found by Ya Mu and then bodywork was suggested. However, I just kept on doing stillness-movement, and after about 3 months of some really coiled, tight spiral spontaneous neck movements, voila! Healed. Was painful. But worth it. Actually, now that I feel it, there may be a tiny bit left there. But it doesn't grate on me like before.

Best to you. :)

• Like 1

Resonate with you Jetsun. :) My right side neck blockage was found by Ya Mu and then bodywork was suggested. However, I just kept on doing stillness-movement, and after about 3 months of some really coiled, tight spiral spontaneous neck movements, voila! Healed. Was painful. But worth it. Actually, now that I feel it, there may be a tiny bit left there. But it doesn't grate on me like before.

Best to you. :)

Hi rainbowvein, I tried a bit of stillness-movement last week and had a really peaceful experience, but again unfortunately I seemed to have a counter negative reaction. Did you have any emotional reaction or realisation to resolving the blockages in your neck?

I wonder if I try to read too much into my blockages and am over concerned about learning their lessons rather than just letting them go, Bruce Frantzis goes on about just letting this stuff go and forgetting about it, I just don't seem to be able to do it at the moment.

• Like 1

I dont do yoga, but man that posture looks like it would cause some major neck problems.

Actually, no, it won't if done with care. I've been doing it for years, but a bit differently from the picture:

pushing up with the soles of the feet, not the toes;

arms outstretched on the floor, not supporting the body (this additional twist gives the body the task to find its own balance instead of propping it up with the arms/hands -- in the latter case you can get away with many tensions still "hidden" and not released, but if you don't use your arms, you have to really relax in a "sung" fashion, to borrow a taiji term, i.e. not limp like a noodle but relaxed like a steel spring under no pressure);

awareness held in the Jade Pillow area -- this gently rolls out micro-kinks in the neck and then the deeper ones;

I follow up by bringing my feet down to the floor behind my head, straight, no knee bending, this rolls out the kinks between the neck and the shoulders and stretches the spine nicely;

and all of it either with natural breathing or with ujai breath, not abdominal, since the neck is somewhat "bypassed" with abdominal breathing but ujai involves it.

• Like 1

Actually, no, it won't if done with care. I've been doing it for years, but a bit differently from the picture:

pushing up with the soles of the feet, not the toes;

arms outstretched on the floor, not supporting the body (this additional twist gives the body the task to find its own balance instead of propping it up with the arms/hands -- in the latter case you can get away with many tensions still "hidden" and not released, but if you don't use your arms, you have to really relax in a "sung" fashion, to borrow a taiji term, i.e. not limp like a noodle but relaxed like a steel spring under no pressure);

awareness held in the Jade Pillow area -- this gently rolls out micro-kinks in the neck and then the deeper ones;

I follow up by bringing my feet down to the floor behind my head, straight, no knee bending, this rolls out the kinks between the neck and the shoulders and stretches the spine nicely;

and all of it either with natural breathing or with ujai breath, not abdominal, since the neck is somewhat "bypassed" with abdominal breathing but ujai involves it.

Is there some kind of balancing posture? Due to the spine being bent in one way to such an extent.

Is there some kind of balancing posture? Due to the spine being bent in one way to such an extent.

Yup. The bridge.

I feel this is an unfair statement. Just because it hasn't caused problems for yourself does not mean it won't aggrevate a pre-condition in other people or cause a problem in yet others due to their individual bodies. To insinuate that any problems would only arise from incorrect practice is, in my view unfair.

Without seeing a great many things concerning an individual how can anyone know? It is not just about held tensions, the range of motion before compression of different joints (including the neck) varies dramatically from individual to individual.

Its why good teachers are good teachers :D

Best,

• Like 2

I feel this is an unfair statement. Just because it hasn't caused problems for yourself does not mean it won't aggrevate a pre-condition in other people or cause a problem in yet others due to their individual bodies. To insinuate that any problems would only arise from incorrect practice is, in my view unfair.

Without seeing a great many things concerning an individual how can anyone know? It is not just about held tensions, the range of motion before compression of different joints (including the neck) varies dramatically from individual to individual.

Its why good teachers are good teachers :D

Best,

Each one has resposibility for our own acts... we are our teachers.. always was... always will be

try.. feel... ponder.. stop if nature asks

• Like 2

Dragon/Tiger is good. Lee Holden has a great routine designed specifically to help with upper-back and neck issues....

I feel that I should also mention that the pain in your neck may not necessarily be caused by a neck problem. Pete Egoscue says that the site of the pain is rarely the site of the problem. I don't know what it is in your case, but in my case, my neck pain is an indirect result of tight hip muscles . . . I think.

In any case, I would avoid doing any poses or exercises that might put pressure or strain on your neck.

Did you try to soften/relax your hip muscles? If yes, was it effective? I have tried Egoscue and Root Fondation, to little if any effect.

I am feeling some energy stagnation on the right side of my neck.. and it get's a little sore...

some of probable causes ( I Guess )

1) I had the block already and now i am just realizing it

2) whilst I practice Sarvangasana (shoulder stand) I do lower abdominal breathing, and with the inverion, I really feel the energy coming down to my head, maybe some energy is gettin stuck on my neck pecause of it's position

01b-salamba-sarvangasana.jpg

3) I practice Nadi Shodhana pranayama with my right hand, during the practice there is a great build up of energy ant my lifted arms may cause some kind of stagnation and blockage of energy....

What should is the best way to release the blockage? I am massaging it.. kind of with shiatsu and gentrly rubbing my hand in spirals for the energetic work (when I do this the numbness get's stronger)...

Thanks again for help and for this amazing forum..

Love.

Love...

Sarvangasan should be with weight distributed between shoulder and arms, not on the neck. if you are putting pressure on your neck you are doing it wrong. I would recommend getting BKS Iyengar's "Light on Yoga" book for details on various asanas you would do.

Also, after Sarvangasan, are you doing Matsyasana as a counter? Always these inversions and backbends should be countered. Sri Iyengar's book will cover the combinations.

I am dealing with a block in the neck myself but it is on the left side, so I will tell you what I have learned for what it's worth. I don't know if a block on the left will be different than on the right but on the left for me it is certainly an emotional block and as such it is difficult to move it away with qigong as it just resists force if it is perceived even the slightest bit aggressive.

From the body psychotherapy perspective a block in the neck is likely to do with some sort of blocked expression or not being able/daring to speak your truth or speak up for yourself, usually from childhood. From this perspective trying to get rid of the blockage through qigong may just another way of avoiding what you need to do to heal it, as the block needs to be understood and let go of rather than forced away, there may be a lesson within it which needs to be learned in order to heal.

So I would suggest using your awareness with a curious intention without trying to get rid of the block and just go to the edge of it to see what is contained in the energy, just sit on the edge of it energetically with your awareness and see what comes up, what information or emotion is there. Trying to move the energy or get rid of it may be perceived as aggressive which is why sometimes these blocks can last for years despite regular qigong practice.

Often emotional blocks are parts of your body or energy cut off from consciousness through repression and lack of compassion at some point in your life, so all they need to heal is gentle compassionate contact and to reintegrate it back in to consciousness, so using your touch very gently with the intent to just contact the area so see what is contained in it can be more effective than trying to massage it away and working lightly on the edge of it is more powerful than diving right into the middle of it.

But if it's a physical or some other issue causing it I don't know if this will help at all or if a block on the right is likely to be emotional, it may depend on whether you are left or right handed or a whole load of variables.

I have had a blockage in my left neck/shoulder too...exacerbated by TMJ of the left jaw. I recently managed to reduce it by 70-80% by reviewing how I do my Taiji practice. I was going through my teacher's notes where he mentions that in the forms, the front-teeth should lightly touch. I noticed that I was letting my jaw drop a bit, even though I had the tongue on the ridge behind the front-teeth. Over the past few couple of months, I started consciousness focussing on touching my teeth together during the forms. Surprisingly, that simple adjustment reduced the pain in my back/neck and jaws and also opened up blocked channels around my MDT as well as my left arm.

• Like 1