Ramon25

Combing scott sonnons work with Inner Dissolving

So My whole physical regimen is based off of scott sonnons work, Things like Intu-flow, ageless mobility and kettle bell work. Anyhow I was wondering if That and Inner dissolving meditation would compliment eachother. Thanks guys!

So My whole physical regimen is based off of scott sonnons work, Things like Intu-flow, ageless mobility and kettle bell work. Anyhow I was wondering if That and Inner dissolving meditation would compliment eachother. Thanks guys!

Sure they would, like origami and bass fishing! :wacko:

Seriously, they stand alone, but compliment each other the way any combo of physical regimens and medition styles would. Balanced development, and the superior quality of life that represents, is all about the gradual fusion of body and mind and there are many paths to that goal.

I can't say enough about the positive benefits of the dissolving method.

• Like 3

There are those who believe that Scott Sonnon's Intu-flow system fits in very well with Taoist cultivation.

Take a look at the Alchemical Taoism site from which the section shown below is taken.

Alchemical Taoism

Exercise.

Scott Sonnon (Intu-Flow is the essential product.)

Scott Sonnon has a unique approach to the physical form that focuses on the unraveling of what he dubs fear reactivity. Fear reactivity is the memory of physical, emotional and psychic trauma stored in the body (especially at the layer of fascia) and made manifest via a lack of range of motion in the joints. One could say: flexibility is a snap-shot of life, while range-of-motion is life itself. Coach Sonnon hypothesizes that dissolving fear reactivity allows one to reach ones true potentialon many levels. His students have practically turned his hypothesis into a law. They can be witnessed taking range-of-motion exercises and evolving them into full-body flows called kinetic chains, and wielding the modern version of the gada (weighted club) in a circular strength program that most closely approximates real-world stimuli. By far the best part of Scotts world is his discussion board: when one signs up, one officially becomes part of the tribe which boasts some of the most sophisticated and supportive seekers on the Internet.

[Webmaster's notes:

In the Taoist internal martial arts, the connective tissue, fascia~tendons~ligaments~joints~marrow, is a continuum through which integration occurs. I suspect that Sonnon's work taps into that spectrum, not in exactly the way as the Taoist internal martial art's do, but still in a way that is very beneficial. A very unusual system, and highly recommended. His Intu-Flow product is the foundation of his system.

Edited by Chang

I suspect he means this:-

Relaxing into Your Being: The Water Method of Taoist Meditation Series Volume 1 by Bruce Kumar Frantzis.

:D Certainly an interesting question!

Encephalon point is worth repeating.

Seriously, they stand alone, but compliment each other the way any combo of physical regimens and medition styles would. Balanced development, and the superior quality of life that represents, is all about the gradual fusion of body and mind and there are many paths to that goal.

To expand a little.

As well as intu-flow Sonnon teaches various shaking/vibration and relaxation work reminiscent of Chinese practices. Though he credits Slavic influences and Yoga more than qigong, it was the Chinese martial artists (more than anyone) going on about the obvious similarities when he first started teaching ROSS in the US. Intu-flow is considered a form of "qigong" by some. It is, if you are talking about the physically orientated Chinese Government endorsed understanding of qigong. If we are talking energetics, then no its not. Several of his students have been involved in "qigong" and chinese martial arts, though I have never seen anything of that side of their work that impressed me at all. Especially their odd attempts to 'translate' qigong into RMAX terminology.

Frantzis already teaches jibengong that specifically fits with the dissolving method. It's his most famous neigong set 'Opening the energy gates of your body'. The six exercises are incremental and build to slowly open the body, from static to dynamic, from slow and smooth to elastic and springy. Most teach a basic joint warm up before doing taiji or the neigong, if you wanted to derive that from Sonnon for the most part I suppose you'd be ok, though the approaches to spinal work differ extensively.

They are yin and yang though. Where Sonnon is going and what he is doing is quite different to Frantzis. This is most evident in the breathing approaches. Just be aware of the different destinations they are trying to take you in. But there is nothing that says you can't pursue both.

Interestingly one of his old students was a student of Frank Allen and used to combine the Frantzis Bagua via Allen with the material from Sonnon (if I can find the articles I'll post em). So you're not alone :D

Best,

This has already been said, I think, but I thought it might be worth re-stating: It could be good to practice the two independently, but to attempt some sort of fusion would be prohibitively difficult. I would recommend practicing your more 'physical' routine first and then follow that up with some dissolving vis-a-vis the water method of BK Frantzis.

This has already been said, I think, but I thought it might be worth re-stating: It could be good to practice the two independently, but to attempt some sort of fusion would be prohibitively difficult. I would recommend practicing your more 'physical' routine first and then follow that up with some dissolving vis-a-vis the water method of BK Frantzis.

If you're using the term 'fusion' the way I used it, referring to the fusion of body and mind, then I agree with you that a deliberate attempt at fusion is ill-advised. It would be prohibitively difficult because this is a process that develops on its own over time; I think there would be little efficacy in pursuing this course consciously.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for all the responses! I will take alot of it into consideration... I definatley wasn't talking of doing both at the same time, just wondering if they complimented each other nicely. In regards to the article related to the tilted vessel, I have seen that article and consider it full of nothing but Buddhist dogma even when he claims that he is not being dogmatic and I generally disagree with the whole view. Also where can I find those awesome articles from Geoff Dixon?