Sign in to follow this  
DanC

Qigong Workobooks?

I have plenty of books on Qigong but many fall short in practical exercises that I can do everyday,

most books are full of theory but lack techniques, Im looking for a book that is basically a workbook

of different techniques and exercises I can choose from.

Anyone know of a book which may fall into this category

Daniel

Some of Daniel Reids early books had a potpourri of different breathing, meditation and movement techniques to them. One called something like "The Tao of health, sex and Longevity" was good, unless I have it mixed up with one of his other early books, both had an encycopedic feeling to them.

For structured course, Eric Yudelove's "100 Days to Better .." and its follow up books are very good. Though it helps not to know how Eric turned out. (poorly)

Michael

Qigong Empowerment: A Guide to Medical, Taoist, Buddhist, Wushu Energy Cultivation (Paperback)

by Shou-Yu Liang, Wen-Ching Wu, Denise Breiter-Wu

Qigong Empowerment: A Guide to Medical, Taoist, Buddhist, Wushu Energy Cultivation (Paperback)

by Shou-Yu Liang, Wen-Ching Wu, Denise Breiter-Wu

i can recommend this one too! When it comes to complete good description of various

good practices it is the best I know.

Edited by affenbrot

For structured course, Eric Yudelove's "100 Days to Better .." and its follow up books are very good. Though it helps not to know how Eric turned out. (poorly)

Michael

Now dont be a tease :lol: !

What did happen,& was it in any way related to the approach in 100 DAYS? I had initially admired that book (until it was stolen by an ex-housemate) simply for the clarity of presentation,the accesibility of the training routine.

Please satisfy my curiosity.

Regards,Cloud :)

Please satisfy my curiosity.

Well the most recent outburst involved a stripper and a katana (if I remember correctly)...

satisfied? no? :lol::P

Well the most recent outburst involved a stripper and a katana (if I remember correctly)...

Just googled the story myself.......

Fuckin ell !!!!... :blink:

Ahhh,err,um....

"The most recent " you say !! Whathefuck else has been happening???!!!!

I spose he could just pass it off as "crazy wisdom" or somesuch :unsure:

I have plenty of books on Qigong but many fall short in practical exercises that I can do everyday,..

Well, there is the website, AlchemicalTaoism.com, which is a compilation of many of the things from this discussion gang, over a number of years.

Well I joined the online Taoist community too late to be a spectator in his demise - but I'm pretty sure he's stopped his practice (at least his website and public presence).

I'm not a fan of rumors, so no idea what actually happened - but I remember something about his wife dying unexpectedly...

I loved his books and the straight-forward explanations he gave, I'd recomend the books to anyone - I think it's important to separate his contribution to the Taoist community from whatever happened to him, and I still leaf through his books every now and then for inspiration.

oh and btw - Cloud - admitedly I do prefer a conversation with a healthy dose of swearing, but apparently some of the Bums get in trouble with their office firewalls...

An we owe the guy behind it a lot of gratitude... :D

Whoever he is... :P:D:lol:

I loved his books and the straight-forward explanations he gave, I'd recomend the books to anyone - I think it's important to separate his contribution to the Taoist community from whatever happened to him...

Well, that is the thing really.

I was quite taken by his 100 DAYS book ,when it was still in my possession.GREAT presentation,very accesible.Moreso,I felt,than Chias writing style.Never had a chance to try the stuff at the time though.

So,without needless muckraking,Im always interested in how these practices affect the day-to-day conduct of their practitioners.But if it sounds like I am actually muckraking,please pull me up on that straight away.

Do Yudelove's formulae predispose one to overheating or 'Kundalini crackups'?

Was he simply broken by tragic circumstances?

Has he been unfairly maligned ?

Is is anybodies business but his own?

It would be a shame if the material itself was significantly flawed.As I said,the presentation was excellent :(

Regards,Cloud :)

I think you're quite right to be concerned whether the practices he teaches predispose you to a similar fate.

I'd personally say diffinately not - especially 100 days...

his next book 'sexual yoga' or whatever is a little questionable in that it teaches Iron Shirt practices (what he calls four square breathing - I think) and he uses a similar method to open the microcosmic... and if you've read Trunk's site you'll know the dangers associated. Still this might cause blockages and complications rather than the fundamental breakdown that Yudelove seems to have suffered.

I would recomend his books over Chias any day. Though if going the HT route I'd say it's safer to go for Winn's method of opening the orbit and pulsing your body with chi.

So in a nutshell - I think his practices are perfectly fine and are not likely to cause any problems if you keep up with developments in the HT (by visiting www.alchemicaltaoism.com). I would still highly recomend 100 days to any beginner. All three of his books are filled with occasional gems.

Sign in to follow this