johndoe2012

Training in awareness

Could you recommend books and websites that have techniques in awareness training?

I'm not looking for noting techniques, they don't seem to work for me.

Maybe more like "things to look for" and so, especially when I'm suddenly lost doing something and have become unaware.

Is Dzogchen something to study in this regard? There were some books mentioned in the book thread.

Could you recommend books and websites that have techniques in awareness training?

Maybe more like "things to look for" and so, especially when I'm suddenly lost doing something and have become unaware.

Is Dzogchen something to study in this regard? There were some books mentioned in the book thread.

The Sedona Method and/or Release Technique. If I'm unaware and I release - I have no choice but to become aware.

chris, sorry not sure what you are asking.

are you saying you get so absorbed in a task that you lose track of time?

buddhism does have its own set of awareness/mindfullness meditations, which help a person be more 'present'.

Some practicle things that help me at work, proper sitting posture(emperor sitting position) and breathing go a long way. also there is nothing like breaking the hour down into smaller segments via computer alarms etc...

Some resources that helped me immensely in understanding and applying awareness -

1. Anthony Demello:

Great book titled "Awareness"

Even better - CD set titled "Wake Up to Life" - possible my single favorite resource.

2. Peter Fenner - Lots of stuff available but I am familiar only with a set of CD's called "Radiant Mind"

3. Jiddu Krishnamurti - reading through many of his works opened me up to being more aware of my personal responsibility and involvement in the activity of investigation. Also helped me to gain some insight into the role and nature of thought. He doesn't really emphasize awareness explicitly but it is implicit in all of his teachings.

4. The Advaita Vedanta teachers (Nisargadatta, Ramana) all help us to become more aware of who and what we are but it is an arduous process that requires patience and diligence.

IMO, there is no practice or principle that is of more value than awareness. It is the foundation for everything else. Without awareness, there can be no understanding or insight.

Enjoy!

I won't post too often in this thread but I did want to highlight this:

IMO, there is no practice or principle that is of more value than awareness. It is the foundation for everything else. Without awareness, there can be no understanding or insight.

Enjoy!

I totally agree. Not from just a Taoist view but in general, regardless of belief system.

chris, sorry not sure what you are asking.

ok, my question was not that clear, I can see

are you saying you get so absorbed in a task that you lose track of time?

in eg. noting while cooking I can note a couple of minutes, gross stuff, and then slip into "unawareness". Then start again, and it feels too hard on the mind, too much stuff comes up while being busy and aware at the same time.

buddhism does have its own set of awareness/mindfullness meditations, which help a person be more 'present'.

Some practicle things that help me at work, proper sitting posture(emperor sitting position) and breathing go a long way. also there is nothing like breaking the hour down into smaller segments via computer alarms etc...

I take small breaks to do some walking meditation. My main practise is neigong so side practises for work is what I am looking for.

Enjoy!

Thanks, I totally agree. I will look into your suggestions.

in eg. noting while cooking I can note a couple of minutes, gross stuff, and then slip into "unawareness". Then start again, and it feels too hard on the mind, too much stuff comes up while being busy and aware at the same time.

ok ic what you are saying. i am also working on similar, very hard to put it in practice for me.

I looked into something steve had mentioned.

http://awareness.tk/

Enjoy!

For some, the opposite is true,...awareness, that is, knowledge or knowledgable of, that which arise from the 6 senses, is a barrier to understanding reality. For example, among some scientists it is commonly accepted that the senses are "liars"...thus if one's awareness is derived from knowledge attained through the senses, which nearly everyone's is, there is no real understanding or insight.

As for Mind-training,...many Buddhists highly recomment the Lojong aphorisms,...such as, "treat everything you perceive as a dream" or "don't worry, there's nothing real about your confusion."

The Secret of Quantum Living

51fSvIz2B3L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I just started this book, but I like it so far... Although it might appear to be just another fluffy metaphysical hack job, the author actually appears to have had a decent background in more traditional Eastern schools and gurus like the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. So, it looks like he's basically reinterpreting some of these old concepts in a modern context in plain English.

He wastes no time in getting you in touch with your awareness either, leading off with a simple exercise for that on page 7! So, this is not merely academic theory, but an instructional workbook.

Maybe my main problem is trying to understand awareness.

So instead of keep being aware there is a tendency to try to frame the experience in some sort of understanding.

Also a tendency to let the process that says "no I can't do it!" take over.

More work to do.

Harmonious Emptiness,

Useful link :)

Maybe my main problem is trying to understand awareness.

So instead of keep being aware there is a tendency to try to frame the experience in some sort of understanding.

Also a tendency to let the process that says "no I can't do it!" take over.

Hi Chris,

I think you have put your fingers directly on the problem most confront regarding awareness.

So problems have been identified. The next step is to consider alternatives for solving, or eliminating, the problems. Then select the 'best' solution and take action, constantly checking to insure the actions are effective. If they are not then don't waste too much time trying to force it them work - try the 'next best' solution.

great info in this thread.

My issue I believe is somewhat similar to Chris d. It is too much thinking all day, so trying to get out of my head. I tried many times to focus on the lower dantien/hara, but found it very hard. All I could do was to visulize the LD for a few mintues, then get lost again in thoughts.

One idea I got from this thread is to focus on the breath, make that a 'constant'. a good side effect of breathwork it calms the mind/inner chatter. just have decide if to focus on the bridge of the nose, or belly... ^_^

http://www.wildmind.org/

thank you for the link Gerard...

Umberto Ecco is a good read about the 'world of meanings pulled over the world'. I reckon going an 'intellectual' route if one is already mind-oriented is helpful. Physics books also seem to kick me off the thinking stool. Nature photography (or better, being in nature). Yes body practices too.

great info in this thread.

My issue I believe is somewhat similar to Chris d. It is too much thinking all day, so trying to get out of my head. I tried many times to focus on the lower dantien/hara, but found it very hard. All I could do was to visulize the LD for a few mintues, then get lost again in thoughts.

One idea I got from this thread is to focus on the breath, make that a 'constant'. a good side effect of breathwork it calms the mind/inner chatter. just have decide if to focus on the bridge of the nose, or belly... ^_^

http://www.wildmind.org/

thank you for the link Gerard...

The trick IMHO is to gently put your attention on your tan tien and your breath will go there. A little at a time until it becomes habitual. Don't focus strongly. Breath follows mind.

Placing your attention is similar to having your attention go to an itch -it happens- wu wei

The trick IMHO is to gently put your attention on your tan tien and your breath will go there. A little at a time until it becomes habitual. Don't focus strongly. Breath follows mind.

Placing your attention is similar to having your attention go to an itch -it happens- wu wei

sorry didn't mean to hijack chris d's thread.

this thread just stuck a cord, a long term goal, many years in the making for me. various forms of meditation and qigong help, but the effect seems to wane off as the day progresses. i like chris d's idea of awareness during the day when going about everyday tasks. something 'constant' that I can carry around with me, so no matter if I am at work, or standing on the platform waiting for the subway or loading the diswasher, its there...

good idea mYTHmAKER, about gently placing the attention at tan tien. for some reason I get an immediate protest by the mind, a sharp increase in anxeity. sounds like a conversation in the columbus park waiting to happen :)

Yes, Dzogchen is a non-gradual path to awakening and awareness. It is not the same as mere noting or other forms of mindfulness practice which are gradual.

Here's an article: http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/2009/09/mirror.html

You may want to check out other books by the same author such as 'Crystal and the Way of Light', 'The Self-Perfected State' and so on.

Edited by xabir2005