orb

Shit New Age Girls Say

Do you see yourself saying any of this?

Edited by orb
  • Like 5

Lol defintitely hit home!

I guess I'll be the sober voice for a moment and add that it is important to keep in mind that many things can be made fun of and a potential downside to this humor is that if someone sees these videos with some interest in eastern spirituality it might turn them off from pursuing such things. I see the current rise in popularity of yoga and even new age spiritualities to be a very good thing, even if that runs the risk of them being fads for some people.

And of course, blending the heart focus of spirituality with introspection, honesty, and reason is the best approach.

Edited by RyanO
  • Like 1

I posted this earlier in the Vedanta section, but in case you haven't seen it, it's pretty amazing. Especially when the guy with the headband and moustache comes in...

• Like 2

Lol defintitely hit home!

I guess I'll be the sober voice for a moment and add that it is important to keep in mind that many things can be made fun of and a potential downside to this humor is that if someone sees these videos with some interest in eastern spirituality it might turn them off from pursuing such things. I see the current rise in popularity of yoga and even new age spiritualities to be a very good thing, even if that runs the risk of them being fads for some people.

And of course, blending the heart focus of spirituality with introspection, honesty, and reason is the best approach.

Hmm I agree..Laughter (most laughter) is agreeing with someone opinion, it is used to relieve tension from a shock and sometimes a way to assert superiority over others.

Some people may find racist jokes funny, but other people may strongly hate them....If were honest most of us probably wouldnt laugh at an insulting joke about our own race...EG What is like shit but takes nine months to come out? A white person..some people may laugh at that signalling they acknowledge the joke as true, but many white people wouldnt.

Hmm..So I guess humour can sometimes be used to insult people. Not that I meant it, but im sure some find it insulting..

I posted this earlier in the Vedanta section, but in case you haven't seen it, it's pretty amazing. Especially when the guy with the headband and moustache comes in...

lol that video makes me laugh

the risk of them being fads for some people.

I think that says it all right there. Some people take it up just to join the in-crowd. Other people take up the peanut gallery making fun of them to join the in-crowd. Either way there's a place for the lost to protect themselves in the group-think. The videos are funny and make a point, but I think they also sort of feed the other side of mindless adherence to a seemingly secure place to put your brain, which TV culture thrives on and I hate the smell of it even when it makes me laugh.

• Like 3

All the things the 'New Age Girl' says are not bullshit, just having a valleygirl say them in an exaggerated way makes them sound stupid. She easily could have said in her Cali girl schtick: "Oh, I can feel my own chi!!" "I'm in harmony with the Tao...", "Qi Gong is sooo cool!", etc., making anything but a materialistic viewpoint sound stupid and New Agey. I didn't really find them funny, the humor and portrayal was too broad and meant to evoke a response.

• Like 3

How about that "Am I a butterfly dreaming..." text read in a Valleygirl voice? Would that make it better, or worse?

I'll bet if anyone heard me go on about this stuff rather than reading it they'd a) not take me seriously at all (which is actually good cover :ph34r: ) or b ) they'd run away screaming

All the things the 'New Age Girl' says are not bullshit, just having a valleygirl say them in an exaggerated way makes them sound stupid. She easily could have said in her Cali girl schtick: "Oh, I can feel my own chi!!" "I'm in harmony with the Tao...", "Qi Gong is sooo cool!", etc., making anything but a materialistic viewpoint sound stupid and New Agey. I didn't really find them funny, the humor and portrayal was too broad and meant to evoke a response.

i had that same thought

"things daobums say"

• Like 2

freaky synchronicity, I saw that Shit New Age Girls Say yesterday (although wasn't it youtube promo video?) but I didn't wait for the entrie video to load, seems like a series.

I think Ogden (the inappropriate yoga guy) is much funnier

ogden2340260.jpg

Namaste Mothaf^%^ka! :lol:

i now find myself repeating this everywhere I go .....

yeah, i say some of this stuff at times. gotta laugh at myself...

Yes, agree. At a tangent, but similarly devaluing of speech content : I just saw this video yesterday and wondered what is going on with these women who are speaking this way. Sounds to me as if is an alarming signal of distress.

freaky synchronicity, I saw that Shit New Age Girls Say yesterday (although wasn't it youtube promo video?) but I didn't wait for the entrie video to load, seems like a series.

I think Ogden (the inappropriate yoga guy) is much funnier

ogden2340260.jpg

Is this a "things taobums look like" post? :lol: Lookit my pic lol we're like the same genre of "taoist" haha