Sign in to follow this  
zerostao

no money more fun?

http://shine.yahoo.c...-173900934.html

any bums ever try this sorta thing?

i have gone largely without money since october, 2008.

there are times i struggle with my decision,

but usually only when there is a taoist cultivation/ taiji type of seminar going on

that i would love to attend, but the money thing (lack of) prevents this.

there is one such event coming up soon. week long and 3 grand.

i am considering coming up with the 3 grand.

http://shine.yahoo.c...-173900934.html

any bums ever try this sorta thing?

i have gone largely without money since october, 2008.

there are times i struggle with my decision,

but usually only when there is a taoist cultivation/ taiji type of seminar going on

that i would love to attend, but the money thing (lack of) prevents this.

there is one such event coming up soon. week long and 3 grand.

i am considering coming up with the 3 grand.

I think I speak for all who says that living without money probably would be nice if the consequences of that choice only affected yourself. I've heard about the German lady btw.

When one becomes a parent this changes your outlook on that.

Living in one of the most affluent countries in the world, I find the notion of moneyless living appealing. But doesn't a trade and service-based household also demand the same sort of compromises that a money-based lifestyle does?

h

I think I speak for all who says that living without money probably would be nice if the consequences of that choice only affected yourself. I've heard about the German lady btw.

When one becomes a parent this changes your outlook on that.

Living in one of the most affluent countries in the world, I find the notion of moneyless living appealing. But doesn't a trade and service-based household also demand the same sort of compromises that a money-based lifestyle does?

h

being a responsible and caring parent should trump all else. i also feel this should include teaching by example that money is not the most important thing. imo health, happiness, and harmony are more important.

being involved in the barter/trade economy does allow for more personal freedom imo/ime. if i am well stocked up on what i need/want then i am free to spend my time cultivating all day or nature adventures or whatever i choose rather than the obligatory clocking in at the work place. a small part time bizness imo is also a good alternative, especially if it is in something that one enjoys.

living in an affluent country imo makes it easier to live such a lifestyle- more resources available.

my 3 current teachers have encouraged me to be more active in pursuit of money. i know they are all doing this for my own best interest

even if they may also in a small way benefit from this. they are all very generous people.

• Like 1

being a responsible and caring parent should trump all else. i also feel this should include teaching by example that money is not the most important thing. imo health, happiness, and harmony are more important.

being involved in the barter/trade economy does allow for more personal freedom imo/ime. if i am well stocked up on what i need/want then i am free to spend my time cultivating all day or nature adventures or whatever i choose rather than the obligatory clocking in at the work place. a small part time bizness imo is also a good alternative, especially if it is in something that one enjoys.

living in an affluent country imo makes it easier to live such a lifestyle- more resources available.

my 3 current teachers have encouraged me to be more active in pursuit of money. i know they are all doing this for my own best interest

even if they may also in a small way benefit from this. they are all very generous people.

I see your points and they are valid in and of themselves.

You may have a greater leeway regarding alternative trajectories of parenting in the U.S, with homeschooling etc. In my culture the flipside of egalitarianism is that the children need to "fit in" and having second hand clothes, and not enough money to pay for activities, gear, etc would create an easy target for bullying and social stress. But I agree that having alternative sources of income etc and more time for what matters is a good thing. The office is not.

Probably best to strike a balance. There really is no separation between what is "spiritual" and what is mundane.

h

Edited by hagar
  • Like 3

my 3 current teachers have encouraged me to be more active in pursuit of money. i know they are all doing this for my own best interest.

good posts zerostao and hagar.

imo for a taoist, I believe it is a dis-service to ones self to adopt the poverty model. I mean taoism gives you to tools via Qigong to accelerate, become better at whatever you do. but you do have to find a way, a vocation to express your Qi :)

for example, if someone is a college student, pre-med, pre-law, using qigong you can get into ANY school you wish.

buddhism has a longer history in the west, billionair Steve Jobs of Apple is one example of how to successfully combine the spirit and the material world.

There really is no separation between what is "spiritual" and what is mundane.

:)

+1 (would give more if I could!)

smile.gif

+1 (would give more if I could!)

i agree.

i also like humbleone's take on qigong and it is the main currency that i have been getting by on.

I think that's the thing - you still need some form of "currency," you still have to "work"...even with money largely removed from the equation, the notion of resources, usage, allocation still exists.

• Like 1

another thing i value way more than money is friendship.

i am very rich is this area.

there is no way i could ever had made it without my friends.

to have friends be a friend, it always works out well.

but i dont look at friendship as currency.

more of a special sacred bond.

do you have more fun with your friends or with your money?

• Like 1

I enjoy building things with tools, but I enjoy utilization and having others that share the bond enjoy the utilization far more, no comparison :)

• Like 1

i have noticed a tendency that when someone starts working for money, that someone ends up doing what money would have them do instead of doing what they really wanted to do.

i am not against work by no means. but(when) i work it is for fun.

• Like 2

To have enough money is fine.

To have too little can be problematic.

To have too much can also be problematic.

How do you eat and pay rent?

I guess I am asking this rhetorically and not specifically.

This seems like a worthy but difficult endeavour. Given the imbalance in our society living without money is appealing to me. But, cannot a true master meditate peacefully in times square? Then again, we should all be where we are at and not where we are not...

To have enough money is fine.

To have too little can be problematic.

To have too much can also be problematic.

Its funny that people seem to be saying that a Taoist 'shouldn't' have poverty when many great Taoists were barefoot Doctors, wandering Hermits and amazingly poor.

Many of them adopted the exact life style of this Woman and wrote their poetry about the joy of the uncomplicated life. They traveled from village to village, and bartered their healing skills for food and shelter before moving on.

As I read back I can't help wonder how many of the reply's are just fear responses to the idea of giving up money?

There is the idea that it is un-Taoist [not very well thought out] :P

There is writing it off as being the same as with money, because barter is involved? [Which discounts the Woman's actual experience of having a vastly better life style since giving it up...]

I have spent periods of time living without money, and I miss it.

I have been wondering lately how i can get me and my daughter out of this corrupt society at least for a period so she can see different ways of living... There are Aboriginal communities in central Australia and the NT, but the trick is finding ones that don't mind white's camping out with them...

"I'm gonna wander the earth, like Kane from Kung-Fu"

"You mean your gonna be a Bum!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 5

are you asking me how i pay rent and eat?

i pay property taxes once a year.

i eat everyday.

it is like anything, it can be learnt biggrin.gif

learning takes practice and practice takes time. some of this stuff ya learn as you go.

nothing is impossible to learn even how to get by without money, or very little.

don't put up walls. dont box yourself in.

i just do the things i enjoy to do, forage some herbs, do some gardening, took up the challenge to try it for 100 days and it ended up continuing on. i found that alot of my expenses were on things not really neccessary. i do enjoy coffee, tea, beer. i drink alot of water.

maybe i dont get to go to a concert or some event, but we have folks playing live music here,

i do alot of baguazhang, it is how i enjoy to spend my time. sometimes i scrape up some money for herbs i cannot find out in nature or sometimes i will pay for some baguazhang lessons. i am very lucky i have it available at a higher level imo/ime for free.

i do this out in the countryside and the forest.

i never go to a doctor or fill presriptions, i dont take aspirin or any cross counter drugstore stuff.

i dont have any illicit habits. i walk alot. sometimes i go fishing.

things just work out and i dont think it is magic? or is it? idk

i never tried to go without money in the city, it just never appealed to me.

if this kinda thing is a challenge you wanna try, take it slow, then slow down a bit more,

relax and focus. if you need to take breaks , thats cool. then get back to practicing.

the secret is to be motivated.

edit>nice post Seth and good tip on the bartering and when you aint bartering do some trading. the qigong i give away , i say give away but everytime i give some away my qigong gets better. so i am always gaining from that too.

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 1

edit>nice post Seth and good tip on the bartering and when you aint bartering do some trading. the qigong i give away , i say give away but everytime i give some away my qigong gets better. so i am always gaining from that too.

Historically bartering was something you did only with enemies. The need for bartering implies a lack of trust. Money implies the same thing. You don't need to trust the buyer at all to make a trade as long as you trust the value of the money.

Where I grew up we "borrowed." Everything from a cup of sugar to a truckload of feed for the animals could be borrowed with nobody expecting payment or trade in kind. If you had a big surplus of something you would share it just because you could and without anybody asking. When your community works like this you can live with far less money than you would think possible.

Everywhere I've lived I've found that if I start giving my surplus of time, skills and products away people start acting in the same manner. It's like a dormant cultural DNA that just needs a little nudge to come to the surface.

• Like 2

yeah Kris biggrin.gif

i can't say i have any enemies , and i do trust everyone, but there are different levels of friends.

i wanted to repeat this

Everywhere I've lived I've found that if I start giving my surplus of time, skills and products away people start acting in the same manner. It's like a dormant cultural DNA that just needs a little nudge to come to the surface

it has also been my experience 98% of the time and places ihave been. the other 2% i must have done something not quite right.

• Like 1

today, once again i see so many folks bogged down in the quagmire of materialism.

or consumerism. huh.gif

house of cards

Edited by zerostao

Sign in to follow this