Sign in to follow this  
RiverSnake

Idea for the TaoBums

I have been noticing that often a ton of great threads seem to end up being lost in the history of Taobums and was thinking that it would be cool if we had a top 20 list of threads for each year.

-Top 20 threads from 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008...etc and then keep it going yearly so that we can have a place to look at all the great posts that have that been made on the forum.

Why do you guys think?

Sounds good. What would constitute a "Great Thread." Would it be the threads with the greatest number of replies, the threads deemed most interesting or the threads deemed most important? Who would decide?

Sounds good. What would constitute a "Great Thread." Would it be the threads with the greatest number of replies, the threads deemed most interesting or the threads deemed most important? Who would decide?

i am not exactly sure. A number of ideas come to mind: the thread with the most likes overall, the most replies, the most views...or perhaps a balance of all three...those are the most objective forms of measurement i can think off.

It would be cool if we could just look at all the threads from each year in one page and just pick from them or give each thread a like if you think it should be in the top 20...but i don't think you can do that type of search on hear.

Good suggestion Old Green.

One thing you can do is copy the url's of threads you like and paste them into your "notes" application under Settings -> Manage Notes. You could then share the ones you like with others.

I also like your idea of a quick link to "top threads" but not sure how that could be worked out given how subjective that is.

The mod team is certainly open to suggestions about that.

Good suggestion Old Green.

One thing you can do is copy the url's of threads you like and paste them into your "notes" application under Settings -> Manage Notes. You could then share the ones you like with others.

I also like your idea of a quick link to "top threads" but not sure how that could be worked out given how subjective that is.

The mod team is certainly open to suggestions about that.

Indeed, i think a good start would just be able to look at all the threads that occurred in the individual year. I think that would require a particular search engine...not sure how to do that?

Indeed, i think a good start would just be able to look at all the threads that occurred in the individual year. I think that would require a particular search engine...not sure how to do that?

Sorry, can't help there.

That's beyond my pay grade.

I'm probably the least tech savvy mod on the team.

Hopefully one of the other mods or members will chime in.

The on site advanced search option will allow you to search for a post or a thread within specific date ranges.

The forum software itself also allows you to change to a few different filter options

the "click here to show different filter options" at the bottom of the page

But IMO TTB has too many threads for that to be useful

Realistically the issue is basically like eating an apple and expecting it to taste like an orange :lol: Discussion board software just doesn't lend itself to becoming a searchable database - Pietro's "tag" idea is perhaps the best work around for the "how to find a good thread about xyz" problems (but then raises the issue how do we use tags correctly etc) The +/- post icon is an attempt by this version of the powerboardsoftware to have an easy "find useful posts" option. But as we know the +/- posts option didn't work out at TTB "-" had to be turned off.

So we really are stuck with this sort of thing happening every few years. I recall a "best of year xyz" thread here last year or the year before.... but as I can't remember the wording of the thread title of the author it's pretty much un-find-able unless I luck out with a date like this one

Tao Bums post of the year (2009)

Just for my amusement, as I enjoy doing this sort of stuff

Top threads filtered by by number of views

Got Ego?

"ego death" and the folly of western interpretation Hundun

104 Replies

Haiku Chain

Make it spontaneous ... have some fun ^.~ Stigweard

4,449 Replies

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Terry Dunn's Chi Kung for Health Series Fu_dog

1,049 Replies

Resources: Books, Links, Articles, Movies, etc

118 Replies

Everyone post some favorite quotes!

362 Replies

John Chang Video affenbrot

209 Replies

non-dualism & the need for practice mat black

144 Replies

Poll Kunlun follow up poll Yoda

1,047 Replies

Ideagasms captstav

101 Replies

Lama Dorje Cameron

747 Replies

The "Get a Job, Have a Wife, Make a Child , Get a Life" Thread

How important is this for you...? Little1

238 Replies

tooth regeneration

it's official Yoda

262 Replies

Yin Xian Fa and Ling Bao Bi Fa Cultivation Methods

A first draft outline of the Yin Xian Fa and Ling Bao Bi Fa training l 松永道

132 Replies

KAP

Kundalini Awakening Process zazaza

1,001 Replies

and the big ones < 1,000 replies

Haiku Chain 1 2 3 279 →

Make it spontaneous ... have some fun ^.~ Stigweard

4,449 Replies

How to determine someone's level of enlightenment?

a sane approach to life goldisheavy

1,333 Replies

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Terry Dunn's Chi Kung for Health Series Fu_dog

1,049 Replies

Poll Kunlun follow up poll Yoda

1,047 Replies

KAP

Kundalini Awakening Process zazaza

1,001 Replies

If you want to try changing your filter options just don't select "remember filters" or you might have problems finding new posts :lol:

one of my favorites was the thread about the Thunder Trigram .

and how it had been shown scientifically that lightning produced anti-matter.

the thread was started by Taomeow

None of these threads have anything to do with me. Therefore, I cannot sign off on any of them.

This kind of thing.

Dont agree with the idea of such classification.

This kind of thing.

Dont agree with the idea of such classification.

Really? No kidding?

As if anyone would. So much for the joke about my unquenchable ego. :lol:

Really? No kidding?

As if anyone would. So much for the joke about my unquenchable ego. laugh.gif

i know right, at first i was like wth, then a moment later i burst into laughter.

Oh, I see. I was very unclear?

I meant: I agree with Encephalon. Many of the so designated 'top 20' threads could be irrelevant to a lot of us.

I dont agree with the idea of hierarchy of threads.

Apologies for my ellipticalism.

The egocentric joke thing, I thought, was a shorthand way of pointing out the faulty structure of the idea posed by the thread.

ho hum.:blush:

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this