Sign in to follow this  
Apech

True colour of Milky Way

BBC website

Astronomers have determined exactly what colour our home galaxy the Milky Way is - and find it is aptly named.

While it appears white from Earth, that is literally a trick of the light; the question is how it looks from outside.

A comparison of star types in other galaxies gives perhaps an unsurprising result: white. But not just any white: specifically, like spring snow at an hour after sunrise or before sunset.

Just a few days ago on some documentary program the folks spoke of the different star colors that result due to the stars' individual mass and burn rate.

<br>Just a few days ago on some documentary program the folks spoke of the different star colors that result due to the stars' individual mass and burn rate.<br>
<br><br>Yes, it says the colours are about the age of the stars and what sequence they are in.<br><br>There was another article the other day - which I didn't post which said that nearly all stars are now thought to have planets ... which means a lot of earth type planets out there.<br><br>If only we could boldly go ... that would be exciting ...<br>

The mass actually determines the burn rate :)

What's that saying? The bigger they are the harder they fall, or, in this case, the bigger (more massive) they are the faster they burn.

"... which said that nearly all stars are now thought to have planets ..."

I saw something a couple days ago that suggested that there are more planets, collectively, than there are stars and there are billions of billions of stars. I can't count that high.

Increased P increases T ;)

IMO not surprised at that conclusion except in places where stars are being formed by 'relatively' pure clouds of hydrogen. "In no model" does 100% of the material coalesce. :)

Life, but not as we know it, Jim. :lol:

Oh, I'm not into predicting things of the future. Liquid water and oxygen would be necessary for life forms similar to what is found on earth. Who knows what other possibilities might exist within different conditions?

Interesting.

I like eating Milky Ways too.

Which reminds me, it is time for me to buy more chocolate the next time I go to the store.

Sign in to follow this