sean

dream meditation bench

haeyoen-kim.jpg

zen-by-design-rama-chair.jpg

bamboo-seiza.jpg

a friend of mine is a carpenter and we've been playing around with seiza-esque bench protoypes.

i'm wondering, anyone have any creative ideas for meditation bench, chair, seat innovations? or even just some useful incremental improvements ...

thanks,

sean

Perhaps a couple degree forward inclination :) and maybe butt print indentations? :lol: or perhaps even just top it with an appropriate plastic bubble, it will then just take the form it is impressed with.

i was trying to think of a way to create a really compact bench that is part of a modest bag with straps, so you can carry your seat around and it doubles as a messenger/laptop bag.

sean

I had made a round one(23.75" dia.) with four legs about 7.5 inches above the floor.

The way it was arranged that I must step on the center to get on, otherwise, it will fall off to increase my awareness. It forces me to sit in the center to assure balance.

I made it round, so, I can sit in any direction without moving the platform.

Edited by ChiDragon

1. A zafu/zabuton combo that is one piece, perhaps velcro connected that gives buttock support and padding under the feet to sit Burmese/Lotus. Fairly dense filling material important for the zabuton portion

2. A folding bench with adjustable legs to accomodate sitting with the knees and hips at right angles - include integral or optional seat cushion

I often think about this. It would be cool to have a meditation seat that serves as an area where i can eat, drink tea, read, meditate, be on my computer all the while sitting in Burmese.

-Big tables take up too much space for my tast

Maybe have the straps on the bench, rather than the bag? You could have them attached underneath. It could still double as a stand for a laptop. I'm not sure how heavy it would be to carry a laptop and this bench at the same time... you might want to weigh the two together. Another thing to keep in mind... NO CLOTH or padding (or make sure you can remove it) if it's going to be used as a laptop bench, simply because cloth may cause the laptop to overheat.

I made some seiza benches for a fund raiser for my Aikido club, similar to the last picture.

I've thought some leather on top, maybe with clay underneath would be interesting in a seiza bench. Perhaps it'd help conform better.

I've also thought making them with rounded legs ala rocking chair, would have some benefits, people could roll til the adjustment is right.

I've dreampt of really high (3 or 4 feet) meditation chairs made out of a single tall log that forced the user to be perfectly still or else. Some kung fu flick must have something similar, but higher.

For portability I've found a 2/3rds blown up beach ball works pretty good. If you could build a little round stabilizer you've got an instant low mini meditation seat. & gives you something to blame the little farty sounds on :)

I sit in a Crazy Creek chair every day or so.

draft_lens6594272module55247722photo_1251902529crazy-creek-chairs.jpg

(nice view- unfortunately not me)

Readily available from camping stores, pretty cheap, there are also cheaper knock off copies.

also have one of these

BCFOR.jpg

but the one without legs is lighter, more portable and I think more comfortable.

You can usually find a rock to put it on, if you want to get "up" off the ground. The straps adjust the angle of the backrest, they also unclip so you can use it without the back support.

"Closed" it looks like this

tie_pouch_standard.jpg

The only downside is it doesn't roll up like a mat or fit inside a backpack/daypack. Apparently the new 2.0 models will roll...... will have to try one of those.

I like comfort, so for me I look for curvy or soft.

2008 International Furniture Design Competition Asahikawa Meditation Bench by Sehwa Bae (Korea)

ifda200801.jpg

Meditation bench by Bae Se-hwa a furniture designer in Korea

bend10.jpg

Bochetta bench Hand carved by a skilled artisan from one piece of sustainable acacia (monkey pod) wood.

120-7010_10986.jpg

a more "production line" option from Beduhn Design

092.jpg

My partner does woodwork so I like little details like the dovetail in this balancing kneeling stool, and the use of angled cuts in this folding bench.

meditation_stool.jpg